shape
carat
color
clarity

JA Ring arrived but the prongs aren't what I expected...what are your views?

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
:cry2:

Before I begin, I would like to thank all the PSers who have helped us to choose a wonderful emerald cutting diamond ring. After weeks of anxious waiting, a few days of delayed delivery, and an experience to remember with a "not so nice FedEx customer service officer", (which certainly killed our joy of receiving the ring btw)... the ring finally arrived.

Alas, the prongs are not what we have expected; they seem rather "wonky" (for the lack of better words) and "thick" to our untrained eyes.

To be specific, the adjacent prongs are "fatter" and while the other pair is "slimmer". Since the diamond is very small (measures 5.55 x4.07mm)....the unevenness of the prongs seems to stand out a lot more. I have used the Photoshop ruler guidelines to illustrate what I mean.

Is our expectation unrealistic? We did not expect a flawless workmanship, but they should appear even and not "jutted" at the corners. :wall:

My experience of the JA True Hearts was not like this, the prongs are very well and evenly done, as illustrated here.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 5.jpg 4.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8_1.jpg

James_Allen_True_Hearts01_2020_11.jpg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring. I think you are right about the prongs. I would have them fix the issue. I have noticed well done prongs are especially important for cushion and emerald cut stones. If they are off, the shape of the stone appears off.

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
Oh dear, I was so engrossed in the prongs, that I only discovered that the sides are "wonky" too; tilted to a side. :confused2:

Is the workmanship of JA normally so bad? Or we are just plain unlucky?

10.jpg 9.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh I'm sorry. Definitely contact them and give them the chance to do better. I think JA has a representative here on PS and it might be helpful to reach out to him directly. Let me see if I can find any info on the JA contact here.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yikes. Those prongs look bulky and uneven and the entire head is crooked. Sadly, since JA was purchased by Signet, their quality has suffered. Personally, assuming you are happy with the diamond itself, I would request a refund for the setting and take the diamond to a reputable local jeweler to be set. GL

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
Yikes. Those prongs look bulky and uneven and the entire head is crooked. Sadly, since JA was purchased by Signet, their quality has suffered. Personally, assuming you are happy with the diamond itself, I would request a refund for the setting and take the diamond to a reputable local jeweler to be set. GL

Yes, I feel the setting is way off. Looks ugly...I am very terribly disappointed. Now I feel bad that my friend has also purchased a square radiant from JA. My spouse has written to the [email protected]. I see what JA has to say, prior reaching out to the contact, that missy has helpfully provided.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry :(
I agree that the prongs are much too bulky and overall wonky. I would definitely contact them (As you have done) .

kv3o3

Rough_Rock
Sorry this happened. I can understand the disappointment. I made a purchase from JA this summer and it arrived all wonky as well.
At first, they sent the incorrect setting. I sent it back and they sent the correct one but the craftsmanship was not great. The prongs were terrible and I'm pretty sure they did not rhodium plate the metal at all. And the head was slightly bent to one side, like yours.
I called, sent it back and everything was remade to my satisfaction.
So, I'm sure they'll be willing to work with you on it.
I've purchased from them before and everything turned out great. Nkt sure why this last time wasn't the same.

Here's a quick picture. On the right is after they fixed it. Left is how I received it the first time.

20200905_103041.jpg

kv3o3

Rough_Rock
Sorry this happened. I can understand the disappointment. I made a purchase from JA this summer and it arrived all wonky as well.
At first, they sent the incorrect setting. I sent it back and they sent the correct one but the craftsmanship was not great. The prongs were terrible and I'm pretty sure they did not rhodium plate the metal at all. And the head was slightly bent to one side, like yours.
I called, sent it back and everything was remade to my satisfaction.
So, I'm sure they'll be willing to work with you on it.
I've purchased from them before and everything turned out great. Nkt sure why this last time wasn't the same.

Here's a quick picture. On the right is after they fixed it. Left is how I received it the first time.

20200905_103041.jpg

Sorry, I got my right and left mixed up haha. On the left is after they fixed. On the right was when it was all wonky.

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @kv3o3! As we are overseas buyer, we have incurred the GST for the purchase. Every time we receive an overseas item, we need to pay GST.

Getting a refund is a huge hassle, and it is not 100% refundable. :(2

After seeing the shabby workmanship, my spouse is adamant to return the ring. He felt hugely let down by JA, since it was supposed to be my Christmas gift.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @kv3o3! As we are overseas buyer, we have incurred the GST for the purchase. Every time we receive an overseas item, we need to pay GST.

Getting a refund is a huge hassle, and it is not 100% refundable. :(2

After seeing the shabby workmanship, my spouse is adamant to return the ring. He felt hugely let down by JA, since it was supposed to be my Christmas gift.

Are you in Australia? I *think* someone here mentioned that you can re-claim any GST from Customs as a result of having to send back a default item and have it sent to you again. Some paperwork and time involved but worth looking into. It's a horrible hassle though...

The prongs on my marquise ring from JA is a little off I feel, but given the nature of the stone's cut, it's not noticeable, and since they work with pre-made settings, I guess they had to do what they could do make it all sit well. Having said that, an EC is pretty symmetrical so I can't see how they couldn't get the prongs right, and the tilt... Def worth chasing up.

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
Are you in Australia? I *think* someone here mentioned that you can re-claim any GST from Customs as a result of having to send back a default item and have it sent to you again. Some paperwork and time involved but worth looking into. It's a horrible hassle though...

The prongs on my marquise ring from JA is a little off I feel, but given the nature of the stone's cut, it's not noticeable, and since they work with pre-made settings, I guess they had to do what they could do make it all sit well. Having said that, an EC is pretty symmetrical so I can't see how they couldn't get the prongs right, and the tilt... Def worth chasing up.

@monipod, we are in Singapore. Thanks for your tip! Realised that the charged to us is "GST plus $XX amount FedEx service fee". We probably cannot claim the FedEx service fee. :(

As for the updates...

JA replied they are using "additional production teams that are not part of their standard operations due to the holiday sales volume", and they believe which is why the ring is not assembled as up to their standards.

They offered either:

1) a rebate of $290USD for me to reset it locally. Our local trusted jeweler is charging around or more than that..

2) return the item at no charge, which my spouse is more inclined to.

I guess the lesson learnt is not to order anything during the holiday sales seasons.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@monipod, we are in Singapore. Thanks for your tip! Realised that the charged to us is "GST plus $XX amount FedEx service fee". We probably cannot claim the FedEx service fee. :(

As for the updates...

JA replied they are using "additional production teams that are not part of their standard operations due to the holiday sales volume", and they believe which is why the ring is not assembled as up to their standards.

They offered either:

1) a rebate of $290USD for me to reset it locally. Our local trusted jeweler is charging around or more than that..

2) return the item at no charge, which my spouse is more inclined to.

I guess the lesson learnt is not to order anything during the holiday sales seasons.
Yea.. if you shop internationally, there is always a risk. Reclaiming GST is a hassle. Even if the vendor offers free return for refund, you lose on exchange rate and foreign currency exchange fee and/or wire fee, which often add up to 5%.
Plus during the holiday season, good diamonds are often gone even before Dec. Things get rushed, you often do not get good customer support.

I ordered small diamond loops from a well known vendor here. I ask them to triple check before shipping as I do not want to bother shipping back to the USA. The loops arrived, and they were barely acceptable. Dissapointing but I knew the risk.

Anyhow, at least JA is offering reasonable (though not satisfying) options. Yea. Lessen learned.

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
My friend's order and her prongs came out crooked too...seems like James Allen has this issues with prongs.

She is really disappointed since she has specially requested for the prongs to be even and since this is a square radiant...the unevenness stands out.

prongs.jpg
crooked.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no! You shouldnt have to request for prongs to be even. Is she going to send it back? Pretty stone BTW.

Edit...do you have any normal views of the top of the ring that are not so close. Just wondering if you can tell
its off from like 10 inches?

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
Oh no! You shouldnt have to request for prongs to be even. Is she going to send it back? Pretty stone BTW.

Edit...do you have any normal views of the top of the ring that are not so close. Just wondering if you can tell
its off from like 10 inches?

She was worried after seeing how bad mine was, and decided to add a special instruction for the prongs to be even.

Although I have not seen the ring in person yet, I believe it is quite noticeable. She said she noticed something was "off" the moment she saw the ring.

Since we are overseas buyers, it will be a huge hassle should she decide for a rework at James Allen. Honestly, the ring setting is quite expensive here, which is partly why she decided to go for James Allen's setting.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my..... both are just so bad. I’m so sorry!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results