shape
carat
color
clarity

J Color OEC Diamond - Advice Needed!

brooke222

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

New to the diamond world, but upon lots or research, my boyfriend & I decided that an Old European Cut diamond is what we would both love in an engagement ring. I found two diamonds with Old World Diamonds (per previous thread recommendations) and would like advice based on the info below. Would the J color look noticeably yellow tinted with a white gold setting (here's the setting we're planning to use)? Anything we should look out for on either of the two options?

Trying to stay somewhere between 1.3 - 1.6 carats and getting the best bang for our buck while it still remaining beautiful to the naked eye.

Also, is it difficult to set these types of diamonds? Hoping to purchase just the setting (upon providing all the dimensions) from a jeweler & then get this diamond set it in.

Would love to hear opinions!

Option 1:
PRICE: $7.2K
PRIMARY CHARACTERISTICS
Cut (Shape and Style)
TRANSITION ROUND BRILLIANT
Carat Weight
1.49 CT
Clarity Grade
VS1
Color Grade
J

PROPORTIONS
Measurements
7.51 X 7.44 X 4.13 MM
Table
68%
Depth
55.3%
Crown Height
13.9%
Crown Angle
39.5°
Pavilion Depth
38.9%
Pavilion Angle
38.7°
Girdle
THIN TO MEDIUM
Culet
MEDIUM
OBSERVATIONS
Finish

Polish
VERY GOOD
Symmetry
GOOD
Fluorescence
NONE

Option 2:
PRICE: $6.7K
PRIMARY CHARACTERISTICS
Cut (Shape and Style)
OLD EUROPEAN
Carat Weight
1.38 CT
Clarity Grade
VS1
Color Grade
J

PROPORTIONS
Measurements
6.94 X 6.87 X 4.66 MM
Table
49%
Depth
67.5%
Crown Height
19.6%
Pavilion Depth
45.8%
Girdle
VERY THIN TO THIN
Culet
NONE

Finish
Polish
GOOD
Symmetry
FAIR
Fluorescence
NONE

Thank you!!

Last edited:

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Color is a personal preference. I would have no issue putting a J in a WG setting. When Adam sends it to you ask him for a white metal stone holder to help you envision what it might look like. You could also ask him to take a pic of it resting in a WG mounting.
Can you confirm the depth is 55.3%?

brooke222

Rough_Rock
Color is a personal preference. I would have no issue putting a J in a WG setting. When Adam sends it to you ask him for a white metal stone holder to help you envision what it might look like. You could also ask him to take a pic of it resting in a WG mounting.
Can you confirm the depth is 55.3%?

Hi! On the first option (I edited the post & added two diamonds we're considering) the EGL report lists depth as 55.3%.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Second the suggestion of requesting pictures from the vendor- but still it won’t be the same as seeing in person.
If you have the concern now - don’t take it lightly.
Too many variables.
Different flavors of white gold. And ultimately the setting design as well....
Face up view vs side view. Some facet patterns ‘hide’ color face up more than others.
Yellow tint vs brown tint.

Edited:
Excuse my poor manners-
Congratulations on your engagement!
Love OECs, got mine from Adam as well. Good choice!

Edit 2-
GIA graded? Mine are not, but J as well. GIA would not have given them a J I’m certain

Last edited:

brooke222

Rough_Rock
Second the suggestion of requesting pictures from the vendor- but still it won’t be the same as seeing in person.
If you have the concern now - don’t take it lightly.
Too many variables.
Different flavors of white gold. And ultimately the setting design as well....
Face up view vs side view. Some facet patterns ‘hide’ color face up more than others.
Yellow tint vs brown tint.

Edited:
Excuse my poor manners-
Congratulations on your engagement!
Love OECs, got mine from Adam as well. Good choice!

Edit 2-
GIA graded? Mine are not, but J as well. GIA would not have given them a J I’m certain

Thank you!! Looking online, both appear to only have EGL certification. I also added a link to the setting in the post as well.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting, these seem to be 2 very different stones. Are you more drawn to transitional or OEC diamonds? Have you been able to view examples of both cuts in person? For me, stone #1 is too shallow. Stone #2 I’m unsure about. It is a touch deep, and I like deep stones, be aware when stones are deep you might be paying for weight you can’t see. Did you find these doing your own search of the OWD database? If yes, I might give Adam your budget and search parameters and see what he recommends. He often has diamonds in stock that aren’t in his database so it could give you more options.

brooke222

Rough_Rock
Interesting, these seem to be 2 very different stones. Are you more drawn to transitional or OEC diamonds? Have you been able to view examples of both cuts in person? For me, stone #1 is too shallow. Stone #2 I’m unsure about. It is a touch deep, and I like deep stones, be aware when stones are deep you might be paying for weight you can’t see. Did you find these doing your own search of the OWD database? If yes, I might give Adam your budget and search parameters and see what he recommends. He often has diamonds in stock that aren’t in his database so it could give you more options.

My boyfriend prefers the look of a modern brilliant & I prefer the look of a OEC, so was wondering that first one would be a nice in between? We haven't been able to view anything in person with everything closed, which is making this a bit tough. We are doing our own research on OWD, but contacting Adam would definitely be next on our list of to-dos based on recommendations!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, that makes sense. So a transitional or a later OEC could fit the bill. I’m not sure what your timeframe is, but I believe the diamond district in NY is shut down right now so hopefully you two can be a little patient. Have you looked through OWD IG account? Perhaps you can do that together and find diamonds with patterns you both like. Send those to Adam as examples when you contact him. Since his stones are in-house he can look at them and recommend the ones he thinks best fit your needs. Older cuts are best judged with eyes so this may help you get to the right stone faster than trying to wade through a bunch of reports (just my opinion, you should feel free to continue your search however you would like).
Regarding your question about setting, it shouldn’t be an issue to have a local jeweler do this for you. If you plan on a bezel setting those require more skill. Ask your local jeweler about how they insure the diamond during the setting process.

brooke222

Rough_Rock
Ah, that makes sense. So a transitional or a later OEC could fit the bill. I’m not sure what your timeframe is, but I believe the diamond district in NY is shut down right now so hopefully you two can be a little patient. Have you looked through OWD IG account? Perhaps you can do that together and find diamonds with patterns you both like. Send those to Adam as examples when you contact him. Since his stones are in-house he can look at them and recommend the ones he thinks best fit your needs. Older cuts are best judged with eyes so this may help you get to the right stone faster than trying to wade through a bunch of reports (just my opinion, you should feel free to continue your search however you would like).
Regarding your question about setting, it shouldn’t be an issue to have a local jeweler do this for you. If you plan on a bezel setting those require more skill. Ask your local jeweler about how they insure the diamond during the setting process.

That's super helpful advice that we will definitely take! Thank you!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't read all the replies, but know that EGL J color is lower than GIA J color, so yes, it likely would have some noticeable tint.

Please don't even look at numbers to find a stone. Only look at stones that have photos provided, and then look at their numbers. If you buy from OWD, I would have them make the setting as they do a really nice job, AND they would be responsible for any potential damage done to the stone and no other jeweler would.

One other thing. This ring is for you to wear for the rest of your life, hopefully! Get what YOU love. He should want you to have what you love regardless of his preferences, just as he should pick out the style wedding band he likes best.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't read all the replies, but know that EGL J color is lower than GIA J color, so yes, it likely would have some noticeable tint.

Please don't even look at numbers to find a stone. Only look at stones that have photos provided, and then look at their numbers. If you buy from OWD, I would have them make the setting as they do a really nice job, AND they would be responsible for any potential damage done to the stone and no other jeweler would.

One other thing. This ring is for you to wear for the rest of your life, hopefully! Get what YOU love. He should want you to have what you love regardless of his preferences, just as he should pick out the style wedding band he likes best.

This. You cant pick an OEC or transitional stone from numbers alone. Definitely need to see them with your own eyes and let your preferences be a guide.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results