shape
carat
color
clarity

J color in a platinum setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

badger.packer.fan

Rough_Rock
Would anyone recommend this? Would one be able to see the body color of this? I hear in yellow gold it''d be pretty hard, but I don''t know about platinum. Any thoughts? Thanks.

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
here''s a thread discussing just that....

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-or-j-color-in-platinum.12290/=

and I believe there are many more similar discussions in the archives here.

call me a brave (or stupid) soul- when the time comes my M colored omc is going in platinum. My appraiser said that it faced up so nice I should stop telling people its an M
3.gif

bluedawg

Shiny_Rock
I have an inherited K pear brilliant that I plan to place into a platinum setting. As the thread referenced above should tell you, a J will likely look just lovely in platinum. Many older diamond rings (estate pieces, for example) are warmer colored diamonds set in white metals.

I recently read a few jewelers'' opinions that yellow gold enhances the yellow and brings it out more... and platinum helps the color appear whiter.

icemyster

Shiny_Rock
Believe it or not..we recently set a 1.87 L VS2 in white gold...it was a perfect H&A, and the stone looked amazing!!!!!!! I have to admit that I could not believe it. The cut made the stone so brilliant that it looked great in the white gold.

Othewise, I have seen many ideal H&A cuts, I and J color in white gold or platinum and they look teriffic.

badger.packer.fan

Rough_Rock
I forgot to mention that the setting contains pave set diamonds which are F-G color. Does that make a difference?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
nope, those diamonds are so small you won''t be able to tell. I think Mara''s are F-G maybe H in her bands and she says she cannot see a difference at all.

KrWz

Rough_Rock
hmm i''m curious too now that you mentioned the pave diamonds are e-f. I''ve got have an E color being set into platinum with G pave and the jeweler mentioned that with the brilliance of both the pave and the center stone that the color won''t be noticable even if the pave diamonds were further down on the color scale.

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve decided to stick w/ a solitaire or a setting w/sapphires because I figured my M would look weird w/higher-colored pave set stones & I do wonder what the future holds for getting a pave set wedding band.....

I''m curious to see what others here think!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
ff - here's a pic of an antique O color ring from fay cullen. A lot of old stones are set in gorgeous settings with pave and other detail work and look great. my grandmother had an M 2 carat OEC set in plat. and diamonds and wore a diamond wedding band and the M color never stuck out. it was stunning. those who are sensitive to color may have seen it in the stone but i think they would have seen it with or without pave or other small accent stones.

antiqueowsides.jpg

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
Mrssalvo-
Thanks for that Fay Cullen example!
Every time I see one of those vintage beauties on-line I think "hey, it really could work!"
Although I love classic solitaires, my heart really is with vintage styles with mele or pave set stones.....decisions, decisions
3.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
i''m getting a J and it''s going in platinum. however, my J stone is an ideal cut round brilliant which are known to hude color very well! if you''re going with a fancy shape, it will most likely show more color. but- i still think it would be fine! you''ve been given some fine examples here
1.gif

Diachi

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/6/2005 4:32:17 PM
Author: mrssalvo
nope, those diamonds are so small you won't be able to tell. I think Mara's are F-G maybe H in her bands and she says she cannot see a difference at all.
I am a very color-sensitive person and disagree that you can't tell-I have seen a few rings with lower center stones and higher pave/sidestones and the color difference was SO obvious to me. Of course, the "average" person probably won't notice but it would bother me...

Ducky

Rough_Rock
I agree with Diachi. I once bought an I-J colored solitaire which was set in 14K yellow gold. The stone seemed white enough in the store but it looked quite yellow as soon as I went outside. I was never happy with the tinge so I eventually sold the ring. However, if you get an ideal cut, Hearts and Arrows cut or anything similar, the stones will less likely be yellow in the same color range. I went to look at a whole bunch of I colored stones in Tiffany''s and they all looked really white. The cut makes all the difference in the world.

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
I just got my round ideal cut 0.72ct J in a 4 prong platinum tiffany setting today! I wear it next to my F/G round ideal cut eternity band. I can see some difference in color b/c they are next to each other but it doesn't bother me. The J solitaire is so sparkly and full of fire that it outweighs any color difference to me.
2.gif
I should add the diamonds in the eternity band are very sparkly too!

I should also add that I do see a slight tinge of color it I hold the solitaire up and look straight at it from the side. But no one else will be doing that to my ring! (I hope!)

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/6/2005 8
6.gif
2:52 PM
Author: Diachi

nope, those diamonds are so small you won't be able to tell. I think Mara's are F-G maybe H in her bands and she says she cannot see a difference at all.
I am a very color-sensitive person and disagree that you can't tell-I have seen a few rings with lower center stones and higher pave/sidestones and the color difference was SO obvious to me. Of course, the 'average' person probably won't notice but it would bother me...

I agree people sensitive to color may see it while others may not but i believe you would see color in the larger stone with or without the pave sides. As the sidestones get larger or if wearing an eternity band like Jellybean the color difference will probably become more apparant to the naked eye. With pave only I believe most people wouldn't be able to see a difference. You should check out some rings out in person to see how sensitive your eyes are to color. Just my very humble opinion
1.gif
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
there are going to be people who have superman eyes, but the general public, 99% of them out there, will not notice a difference in a big J stone and tiny F/G melee.

the melee in my rings are E/F/G and my big stone is a J. there is NO DIFFERENCE...no one can see it. the melee are so tiny, and my stone is well cut...and with small melee such as mine (.02 and .03) all you see is sparkle, there's no color visible.

i was just out in the park with the dog and ran into a couple we know and asked to see her ring ( i have been dying to ask for a while), they just got married. her stone was exceptionally well cut, the hubby did his homework , i could see clear arrows, so i told them that their stone was very well cut (hubby was beaming). anyway, he was saying their stone was an SI and I said mine was too and then he said...'oh i think we could have gone down in color' (I think it was an F) and he goes, 'maybe something like a G but I could not have gone H, it was not good for platinum'.....so I took huge pleasure in saying...'well mine is a J'..and they both EXCLAIMED that there was no way they could have called that one and that it looked so white!
31.gif

so in general people cannot tell color differences between well-cut stones and melee, but yes there will be the odd random person who can see color differences in something as tiny as melee.

edited to add...want to see TONS of J stones in platinum? check this out: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/j-color-stones-in-platinum.24731/ . love that thread.
2.gif

laughinggravy

Shiny_Rock
I'm quite colour sensitive, unfortunately, and completely unable to make out inclusions in anything other than step cuts, fortunately.

But I think the melee would have to be quite a few grades down before it became noticable to me.

I have an OEC in a white gold fine bezel. It's a 1.20c and a J. You can see a tint, but it's busy being sparkly and flashy that the tint really doesn't bug me... personally. It's not as if you're seeing tint in an object that is flat and dead. There's so much other stuff going on, if you've got a nice make.

Abi

Diachi

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/6/2005 9:28
6.gif
0 PM

Date: 5/6/2005 8
6.gif
2:52 PM
Author: Diachi

I am a very color-sensitive person and disagree that you can't tell-I have seen a few rings with lower center stones and higher pave/sidestones and the color difference was SO obvious to me. Of course, the 'average' person probably won't notice but it would bother me...

I agree people sensitive to color may see it while others may not but i believe you would see color in the larger stone with or without the pave sides. As the sidestones get larger or if wearing an eternity band like Jellybean the color difference will probably become more apparant to the naked eye. With pave only I believe most people wouldn't be able to see a difference. You should check out some rings out in person to see how sensitive your eyes are to color. Just my very humble opinion
1.gif
2.gif
I agree that color (as well as clarity) can be easier to see in larger stones with or without other diamonds to compare too, and the rings I referred to were seen in person so I know that I CAN see a noticible difference-but I admit I couldn't tell you the color grade I was seeing, just that there was a difference I didn't like-the stones I noticed turned out to be 2 H's, and 1 J but I'm not sure of their cuts so was probably part of it too...

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diachi - what sizes were the stones you were looking at? Were you looking at a 3 stone ring?

badger.packer.fan

Rough_Rock
So is it accurate to say that a well cut J color diamond will face up white because of the amount of light returned and that viewing it from the side, no matter how well cut, it will still have some color?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Yesm you will absolutely be able to see the color from the side...and unfortunately, to my eyes...that''s *my* eyes, no matter how well cut, I would clearly be able to see the color face up in a J...but that''s just me and that''s why I sacrifice size for color...there is something to be said about size though
31.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes even in a J diamond with fluor you will see some color from the side...

but again, when you say ''color'' it''s not like a bright beaming yellow, it''s a very faint ''off'' tinge...so it''s very subtle IMO. also in a smaller stone it would be less visible.

Diachi

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/7/2005 7:23:31 PM
Diachi - what sizes were the stones you were looking at? Were you looking at a 3 stone ring?
the stones were approx: 1.10, 1.4, and 2.0. All had side stones (one was channel, one was baguettes, can''t remember the third) but not 3 stone rings...It was a couple of months ago and only used as an example by a jewelery to prove her point that "You won''t be able to tell" and I did (needless to say, we didn''t use that jeweler!)...She put 6 rings down on a blue backround (velvet) and then had us look at each one...I could "see" the color right away but like I said, I have NO clue on the cuts so that was part of it too. She was not amused that the three I picked (I didn''t know that it was 3:6) were the lower-colored stones.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
and she even cheated by not using a white backround!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
those were large stones you were looking at. i think most people would see color when comparing stones next to each other that are bigger. when i mention not being able to tell a color difference with pave- i mean stones that are .02 or even smaller. like mara said above - most people cannot tell a difference in tiny melee because you can't really see color, only sparkle. this is a great example of how seeing rings/stones in person can really make a difference some don't notice a thing while others can see a difference right away. there are also those who can see color in a loose stone but not once it's set. i'll make sure i clarify that better next time someone asks. it would drive me nuts to have sidestones that didn't match my center if i could see any difference at all which is why i have a solitaire
2.gif
for now anyway
31.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
re melee...when i say pave or melee as mrssalvo notes, i mean small stones. aka mine are .02 and .03 and there is NO DIFFERENCE...i''d dare anyone to find it. the small stones are so tiny you can''t see anything but blinding sparkle when you try to look at them. there is no ''seeing them from the side'' either as they are set into the rings.

however, i have a 10 stone 1ctw right hand ring that is set with I/J stones and when i wear it on my left hand with my e-ring and w-ring combo that is set with G/H stones I can see that the 10 stone looks a tiny bit ''off''...so in those larger .10c stones you can see the bit of color when put up against my melee. but comparing .02c melee to a 1.60c center stone, it''s not even like comparing apples to apples, there''s no color in those melee, its almost like it doesn''t exist.

hope that makes sense!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results