shape
carat
color
clarity

J color diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cads18

Rough_Rock
Does a J color stone have a noticeable yellow tint to it? When I saw this color stone at a jeweler, I didn''t notice a tint, but now I think that the lighting may have had something to do with that. Also, in your opinion, which of these stones is "better" and what price should I expect to pay for each?
.70 J VS2, Meas: 5.68x5.73x3.57, Pol: VG, Sym: G, Girdle: THN-M or
.76 J SI1, Meas: 5.82x5.89x3.56, Pol: VG, Sym: G, Girdle: VTHN-M

Thanks for your help.
wacko.gif

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
We can see yellow in a J color diamond pretty easily, but hey, this IS what we do all day... Most people seem to have difficulty seeing color in diamonds (especially from a top down view) until they RELAX and stop trying to see it so hard... Once they do relax and learn to look past the flashes of color that are a result of the diamond's cut, and look for degrees of tonal value - most people discover that they can see color in diamonds quite easily. If you really want to see and compare color in diamonds, look at several different color grades under the controlled light of a GIA Diamond Light with the culet (bottom point) of the diamonds pointing up... You can also do this by placing the diamonds upside down on a white piece of paper and looking at them from the side. Most jewelry stores are equipped with MR-16 Halogen Lighting with diochromatic filters designed to hide color and make diamonds look better, so try and look at color under a different light source - we turn ours off when teaching our clients how to look for color...

In order for anybody here to provide you with "comps" on the diamonds you've found, they will need to know whether the diamonds have been lab graded and if so, by whom... And what the proportions of the diamonds is:

Total depth:
Table diameter:
Crown angle:
Pavilion angle:

You can search for comps using the diamond search engine located on the front page of this site... You will probably find that one of the on-line vendors here can offer you a better diamond, such as a GIA or AGS Graded Ideal Cut Diamond with verified proportions and either GIA Excellent or AGS Ideal polish and symmetry for around the same price your local retailer is selling you those other diamonds for...

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
J color can be an excellent value, if the diamond has a nice cut... Surely it isn't white white, but it isn't that yellow either... I could describe a J color diamond like a warm stone... And remember you're paying waaaaaaaaaaaay less than an E!

Giangi

cads18

Rough_Rock
Sorry, I thought I had included the depth & table %. I don't have the crown and pavilion angles, but the depth and tables are as follows:
.70 VS2 Depth=62.6% Table=57% ($1870)
.76 SI1 Depth=60.8% Table=60% ($1920)

Both diamonds are GIA certified. I want to set it on platinum so I'm a little concerned about how a J stone will look.

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
cads18,

One thing is not to think that a hint of color is a bad thing. Some people actually want a diamond that has a hint of yellow in them. Some like the warmer color and say the diamond doesn't look as cold as some of the more rare colors.

You just need to compare side by side and decide what your personal choice is.

mattinSD

Rough_Rock
Cads:

Not the best picture, but the attached is a J color center stone, set in platinum... I think the darker area near the top is the shadow of my big head!!!

Anyway, the diamond is not icey white, but I think it still looks good.

What really sold me on going with the J color was I was able to get a 1.06ct for the same price as a .79ct E color.

I would recommend you look at a variety of colors - it's such a personal decision that only you can make it!

w back 1.jpg

cads18

Rough_Rock
Thanks for everyone's feedback. I looked at the J stones today next to an H color stone and although I did see a slight difference, I don't think it was significant enough.
wacko.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results