shape
carat
color
clarity

I''ve finally ventured to the colored stone forum!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone!!
I am so excited. I won a LOGR setting on e-bay last night. I have been wanting a RHR for a long time - I really don''t wear much jewelry besides my ERing and studs. B & M stores had pretty stuff, but they all seemed way overpriced (or just over-budget). And then I feel in love with all your LOGR settings, so I bid and won!
Now I just need a stone! I''ve been trolling the web searching, I figured you all could help, if you want! (thanks geckodani for that list!)

Stone must be 8 x 6, oval shaped, or thereabouts (anyone know how much play the LOGR settings have? I will post a pic)
I''d prefer something blue, hopefully I''ll have enough time to get it set to wear as my something blue for the wedding (4/18).
I could also go for something blue/green. Or green. I could always wear blue underwear or garter.
Spinel? Aqua? Topaz? Sapphire? Tsav? So many choices! Cut is very important, also.
I''d like to keep the stone at or below $125.
Anyone know about how much a jeweler would charge to set the stone? Ballpark? It''s Sunday and I can''t call!

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, but I really thank you in advance. I''ll be back to the forum later tonight (bridal shower''s today - I''m not supposed to know! lol).
9.gif

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
oops forgot the pic!

logrlynn.jpg

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Hi Lynnie- congrats on the pretty setting!

So you're thinking green or blue? Hmm, given budget constraints- I am thinking that tourmaline or topaz might be good choices. You might be able to get a lightly colored aqua, too. Tsavorite is quite pricey, spinel really depends, and sapphire is generally not inexpensive either.

Re: the setting measurements. It seems to me that I recall some folks saying that their LOGR settings don't always fit the exact size that they are supposed to. Given the requirement for the stone to be 8x6 oval, you may end up needing to contact a cutter or two and have someone custom cut something. It can be tough to find those calibrated stones (especially if you are picky about cut).

And I'd ballpark $50-$75 to set a stone.

ETA- Welcome to color stones! Watch out, it's addicting
9.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Welcome
1.gif

Spinel is probably your best bet since you say cut is very important to you, and you''re more likely to find a more scintillating (lively) stone among the varieties with a high index of refraction (ask whatever you don''t understand and/or would like to know). With your budget and required size, you can probably forget about any sapphire and tsavorite of decent quality, while aqua and topaz usually have to be custom cut to exhibit a lot of life.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2009 12:24:28 PM
Author: ma re
Welcome
1.gif

Spinel is probably your best bet since you say cut is very important to you, and you''re more likely to find a more scintillating (lively) stone among the varieties with a high index of refraction (ask whatever you don''t understand and/or would like to know). With your budget and required size, you can probably forget about any sapphire and tsavorite of decent quality, while aqua and topaz usually have to be custom cut to exhibit a lot of life.
Do you think we could fit a spinel that size into $125? I agree spinel would be a lovely choice, but not sure it will fit the budget. Maybe if darker blue...

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I said I''d like to keep the stone below 125... not that I have to
11.gif

You''re right... this is addicting!
So the budget for the stone can be $200, tops. It''s a gift from FI (the whole ring, I was given a budget, part of which is already spent for the setting, and I''ll figure $75 to set). He''s so sweet...
I''m sure I''ll have lots of questions. Here''s my first one. It seems gemselect.com has more reasonable prices than the other sites. Any reason why? Are they of lesser quality in terms of cut? Some of their topazes look really nice, and the prices are really attractive, too (like $50).

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Now that we have a bit more wiggle room on price, Gemrite has this blue spinel Link that might work.

bluespineloval122a.jpg

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you already paid for the setting?

If not, you could quickly email LOGR and ask them to hold off on sending it until you find a stone that fits/will come close to fitting. Sometimes finding a stone to fit a particular sized setting is more trouble than it''s worth, so I would honestly suggest just looking for an oval stone that fits your budget, regardless of size, and then asking LOGR to customize the size.

As someone who has a couple of empty LOGR settings because I attacked it the same way, I just wanted to give an honest piece of advice.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2009 12:46:26 PM
Author: icekid

Do you think we could fit a spinel that size into $125? I agree spinel would be a lovely choice, but not sure it will fit the budget. Maybe if darker blue...
Not easily, but maybe it could be done. You''re right about the stone probably being of darker tone in that case.

Size is also something to consider - blue topaz of about 2 carats is hard to find, since they''re mostly cut in larger stones. Iolite could fit the budget if Lynnie likes the color and wouldn''t mind being a bit more careful with the ring (not wear it as much, due to the stone''s lower hardness i.e. higher scratchability
9.gif
).

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2009 1:16:09 PM
Author: Fly Girl
Now that we have a bit more wiggle room on price, Gemrite has this blue spinel Link that might work.
Ohhhh, Fly Girl - that''s a great find!!!!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh that is a very pretty setting and would look gorgeous with a blue stone!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
zircon in general is inexpensive- I think even if you had a stone custom cut that would fit into your budget.

Here is a blue spinel that might work- http://gemrite.com/cubecart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=40 It will push you even a bit further at $205 haha. It''s been up for quite a while, so I wonder if it is a fair bit darker than the images suggest, though.

Gem select... well, I suspect you could get a decent stone there. The cuts (in general) are not the best. I think Freke has purchased a few inexpensive stones there that she thought were okay for the price. Basically, yes it is less expensive, but also lesser quality.

Such a nice gift from your FI, by the way!

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome to the color stone addition group!
36.gif

I agree that topaz or tourmaline will be easier to find within your budget.

I have two rings set in New York's diamond district last week, and it cost only $20 for each, including setting, polish and re-plating. The setter did a fabulous job. If you are any where near NYC, I'd be happy to pass along the info.

Gemselect is a eBay seller who is based in Thailand. Some of their gems are pretty good, some other types I will stay away from. It will be safest to post the stone here, and the resident experts will help you decide.

Good luck and congrats on your upcoming wedding!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2009 1:24:37 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier

Ohhhh, Fly Girl - that''s a great find!!!!
oh hilarious... I was still searching for Lynnie while I was writing my post, and I picked out the same one
9.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2009 1:26:42 PM

Ohhhh, Fly Girl - that's a great find!!!!
oh hilarious... I was still searching for Lynnie while I was writing my post, and I picked out the same one
9.gif
LOL - It's tough to find a stone in the correct color, shape, size and price. They are few and far between. Hopefully Lynnie will be able to stretch a bit to get this one.

BTW - Gemrite also has a light to medium blue oval sapphire that he specifically says will fit a 8 x 6 setting, but it is really a stretch at $340. Link

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2009 1:54:09 PM

Date: 3/29/2009 1:26:42 PM

Ohhhh, Fly Girl - that's a great find!!!!
9.gif
LOL - It's tough to find a stone in the correct color, shape, size and price. They are few and far between. Hopefully Lynnie will be able to stretch a bit to get this one.

BTW - Gemrite also has a light to medium blue oval sapphire that he specifically says will fit a 8 x 6 setting, but it is really a stretch at $340. Link
hehe, that must be it! Plus we are all gem website stalkers and probably have memorized the available stock. I was thinking of that sapphire, as well
20.gif
hehe, pathetic!

Lynnie- if you can add a few dollars of your own to this project
11.gif
I think that sapphire above is lovely! (we will get you into lots of trouble, if you let us)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/29/2009 1:25:33 PM
zircon in general is inexpensive- I think even if you had a stone custom cut that would fit into your budget.

Here is a blue spinel that might work- http://gemrite.com/cubecart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=40 It will push you even a bit further at $205 haha. It''s been up for quite a while, so I wonder if it is a fair bit darker than the images suggest, though.

Gem select... well, I suspect you could get a decent stone there. The cuts (in general) are not the best. I think Freke has purchased a few inexpensive stones there that she thought were okay for the price. Basically, yes it is less expensive, but also lesser quality.

Such a nice gift from your FI, by the way!
Icekid,
I''ve seen that spinel in person. I could not get it to look as blue and bright as the main page picture, but if you go to the extra images link, there are 2 additional pictures. The one placed in between the fingers is accurate. The indoor picture is also accurate.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Multicolour have a pretty good reputation for lower priced stones. What about this spinel

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, guys, thanks so much for all your help and input!! I haven''t had a chance to reply till now (stupid work...)

I am very very seriously considering ordering that spinel from gemrite. I think I can scrounge up an extra 5 bucks! Many thanks to icekid and Flygirl for the find! How funny that you both posted the same stone!

I am such a noob when it comes to colored gems. I wouldn''t mind putting up some extra $$ for a nice stone, but I have a feeling FI will be kinda bummed if I offer to do that. He is currently working part-time and going to school part-time (I am presently making a lot more than him), and he is so excited to have saved up for this, and wants it to be a wedding present, so I don''t want to step on his toes, or have him feel like what he saved up isn''t good enough. There will always be future projects, though (I can tell I''m getting addicted!).

Lauren, we have already paid for the setting. It came out of the acct on the 30th. About how long is the ship-time?

Ma re, thank you so much for the advice. So spinels have more of a sparkle factor than topazes and aquas? During my search, I''ve found I''ve been leaning towards darker shades of blue anyway. My eye is tending to like london blue topazes better than swiss. I do like aquas too, but I haven''t come across one that is well-cut in the size I need.

Chrono... so I gather from your post that you ordered that stone and sent it back? Too dark for you? Aside from color, and since you have seen it in person, is it as well-cut as it looks in the pics? Is it bright and sparkly? Dark but sparkly? Please elaborate! I think the outdoor pic is lovely, the indoor pic is nice too. I can see some inclusions in the pics, are they noticable IRL? There seems to be a large-ish inclusion on one of the long sides of the stone... Why do they grade it VS-SI1? I thought they were two different grades? Is this enough questions? Why is the sky blue? lol... Sorry - tired and goofy. BTW, I''m sorry if I assumed wrongly about how you''ve seen it in person... you know what happens when you assume.

About gemselect... a lot of their stones seem very deep, many have windows. I have seen some really nice step-cut stones on there, though. And I like that they have video for a lot of the stones.

Gailey, that spinel looks nice too. I wish they had more pics on the website, though.

TIA everyone!

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
oooh I forgot to add my photoshop-job of the gemrite spinel

logrlynn5454.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 11:55:36 AM
Author: Lynnie
Wow, guys, thanks so much for all your help and input!! I haven''t had a chance to reply till now (stupid work...)

I am very very seriously considering ordering that spinel from gemrite. I think I can scrounge up an extra 5 bucks! Many thanks to icekid and Flygirl for the find! How funny that you both posted the same stone!

I am such a noob when it comes to colored gems. I wouldn''t mind putting up some extra $$ for a nice stone, but I have a feeling FI will be kinda bummed if I offer to do that. He is currently working part-time and going to school part-time (I am presently making a lot more than him), and he is so excited to have saved up for this, and wants it to be a wedding present, so I don''t want to step on his toes, or have him feel like what he saved up isn''t good enough. There will always be future projects, though (I can tell I''m getting addicted!).

Lauren, we have already paid for the setting. It came out of the acct on the 30th. About how long is the ship-time?

Ma re, thank you so much for the advice. So spinels have more of a sparkle factor than topazes and aquas? During my search, I''ve found I''ve been leaning towards darker shades of blue anyway. My eye is tending to like london blue topazes better than swiss. I do like aquas too, but I haven''t come across one that is well-cut in the size I need.

Chrono... so I gather from your post that you ordered that stone and sent it back? Too dark for you? Aside from color, and since you have seen it in person, is it as well-cut as it looks in the pics? Is it bright and sparkly? Dark but sparkly? Please elaborate! I think the outdoor pic is lovely, the indoor pic is nice too. I can see some inclusions in the pics, are they noticable IRL? There seems to be a large-ish inclusion on one of the long sides of the stone... Why do they grade it VS-SI1? I thought they were two different grades? Is this enough questions? Why is the sky blue? lol... Sorry - tired and goofy. BTW, I''m sorry if I assumed wrongly about how you''ve seen it in person... you know what happens when you assume.

About gemselect... a lot of their stones seem very deep, many have windows. I have seen some really nice step-cut stones on there, though. And I like that they have video for a lot of the stones.

Gailey, that spinel looks nice too. I wish they had more pics on the website, though.

TIA everyone!
If you know it''s definitely that stone, you could always pay a certain amount to the vendor in advance (let''s call it a ''deposit'') and then have them charge your FI the difference...
27.gif
That way, no fibs needed and everyone happy.
9.gif

Would only be an issue if you were shipping internationally and the correct amount needed to be stated on customs documents.

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
Pandora, you sneaky devil
11.gif
!!

Don''t tempt me
31.gif
3.gif
.... I think I could stash some money without him knowing... April is a 3 pay month for me
31.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lynnie,

I believe the ship time for the LOGR is about 1 week. Yes, spinels will sparkle more than aquas. And yes, I did review the stone and sent it back. I''m known to be extremely discriminating. I''m a budding collector of sorts so I look for the rarer gemstones. In this case, I was looking for a pure vivid blue spinel with no gray secondary. A bright cobalt spinel was my goal.

It was too gray for me but my eyes are sensitive to gray undertones. Most will not be able to pick that out. The cut is very good. I would not call it dark, but it had too much dark areas for me. However, in the right lighting, it sparkled well. The inclusion doesn''t look to bad in person. If you peer closely, you can pick it out. Once set in a ring, others admiring your ring will probably not see the inclusion. It is rated as VS/SI because it depends on how "eagle-eyed" you are. If you are anal like me, you''ll spot it right away. Others aren''t as sensitive and will have a harder time finding it, hence the split grading.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results