shape
carat
color
clarity

I've been naughty :)

Discussion in 'Colored Gemstones' started by melave, Mar 24, 2012.

1. melave
    Shiny_Rock

by melave » Mar 24, 2012
    So, i have been on a bit of a shopping spree lately. I have bought a few stones off ebay and one from Dana. Not all are perfect, but i am loving them. Let me know your opinions

First is a 1.5ct cat's eye alex from Dana. I have a few of these now and i really love them. Sally is making a lotus ring for me to set it in. I can't wait to see the setting

alex top.jpg

alex 2.jpg

alex.jpg

2. melave
    Shiny_Rock

by melave » Mar 24, 2012
    Next is a 1.54ct light aqua from Osiris gems on ebay. I love this stone. I love the cut he has done on this. And it is a sparkler!! it goes from nearly white to a pale blue. I was thinking of setting it in rose gold. Sorry the photos aren't that good.

aqua 1.jpg

aqua 2.jpg

aqua 3.jpg

3. melave
    Shiny_Rock

by melave » Mar 24, 2012
    So while i was bidding on the little aqua, i saw this little 2.26ct spess cab. I knew from the pic it would be quite brown. But i couldn't resist :) I wanted to see why everyone loves these. Now i know!! I know this isn't a fine specimen (it's one of my learning stones ) but it can show some gorgeous orange, that i had trouble capturing. I can just imagine how beautiful the ones i have seen on here are IRL. It is full of inclusions but i still like it for a learning stone :)

spess.jpg

spess 2.jpg

spess 4.jpg

4. melave
    Shiny_Rock

by melave » Mar 24, 2012
    so why stop there hey? :)

I had been looking at this 3.92ct mexican fire opal for a while. They had me curious as i have never seen one before. I only thought opals came in black or white until i discovered PS :)

I gave what i thought was a low price offer and it was accepted. Now any input on this would be appreciated as i have no clue when it comes to these. Are you supposed to see other colours? is this a good example? i have seen a couple of bubbles in it when i louped it so does that mean it is real? Do they even make synthetic fire opals? Could this be something else?
    I am not too fussed if it is fake ( i think of it as a learning curve)

OK last photos :)

Thanks for looking :)

fire opal 3.jpg

fire opal 1.jpg

fire opal 2.jpg

5. Enerchi
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Enerchi » Mar 24, 2012
    Oh Oh OH!!!! They are all amazing! each photo kept getting more thrilling than the one before - it was like Christmas!!
    I Love that aqua - gorgeous cut on that and it will be BEAUTIFUL in rose gold ---- hurry and set that - can't wait to see it!

Love the spess!! yummy colour (to me) and a good size, too.

Congrats on the fun purchases and thanks for posting your naughtiness for us to enjoy! :Up_to_something: :D

6. movie zombie
    Super_Ideal_Rock

7. smitcompton
    Ideal_Rock

by smitcompton » Mar 24, 2012
    hi,

The fire opal you have looks more like a Brazilian Fire opal rather than a Mexican. I think a Mexican Fire opal would be more costly now-a days and the color more orange to red orange. I'm no expert though. I do own both.

Glad you are having fun.

Annette

8. GemFever
    Ideal_Rock
    Trade

by GemFever » Mar 24, 2012
    Oooh the cabs! Awesomeness!

9. melave
    Shiny_Rock

by melave » Mar 24, 2012
    Hi all

Thanks for the replies :)

I am loving cabs as well!! i have a couple more little alexs plus a little dark ruby cab that i adore.

Annette you are right!! it isn't a mexican fire opal :oops: :oops: i thought all fire opals were mexican but this one said in the description it is from Sri Lanka which i haven't heard of deposits in Sri Lanka, so it must be a fake. I am going to go do some research on fire opals now :)

10. Arkteia
    Ideal_Rock

by Arkteia » Mar 25, 2012
    They are all nice, I love the Alex most.

11. NKOTB
    Brilliant_Rock

by NKOTB » Mar 25, 2012
    Nice haul! Good variety, too. :)

12. Starzin
    Brilliant_Rock

by Starzin » Mar 25, 2012
    What a haul! :bigsmile: It was 'like Christmas' to quote someone above...congratulations - they're great!

ETA: Actually I was trying to remember what the opal reminded me of and it's cellophane in water :lol: that first shot (vendor?) particularly. Great stone. In fact they all have something special about them.

13. chrono
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by chrono » Mar 25, 2012
    The cabochons are lovely and your choices, while unusual, are looking quite nice.

14. LisaRN
    Ideal_Rock

by LisaRN » Mar 25, 2012
    I love them all but your spess cab really speaks to me. Very lovely and I am so glad you have been naughty!