shape
carat
color
clarity

I've always wondered why...

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... when you open the dishwasher everything else is dry but there are still drops of water on the Tupperware

... ice sometimes get "hairy" in the freezer

I'm sure answers to these questions exist on the internet, but I've never gotten around to googling them.

What do you wonder?

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
I'd be leery of googling the term "hairy ice"! :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder why Murphy's Law always seems to be in effect in my life at least.

I wonder why people take the energy to be rude when being nice and polite feels so much better.

I wonder why just when everything seems to be going smoothly something happens to upset that.

Uh oh, I guess my mind's not in the most upbeat place right now just seeing what I wrote. Though MayK's thread just uplifted my mood considerably! :appl:

Dee Jay, hope it's OK that I posted my "I wonder" thoughts because unlike yours I don't think there are any answers to mine.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tupperware chose plastic that "attracts and holds" water.

Harry's ice is hairy because of Sally's hair as she was too hot to handle and needed cooling down (and the movie "When Harry met Sally" is a very tamed down version.... Lots of ice was used to cool things down...

Have a great weekend.

Life is worth living if you do it right,

Perry

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hairy ice!

_9946.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I once mused aloud the water-on-Tupperware phenomenon and someone said "surface tension" like it was the most obvious thing in the world. I have no doubt he was right but I still don't know what the hell that means.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perry, I prefer your explanations to whatever the real ones might be!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've always wondered why yogurt doesn't separate until after you scoop some out of the container - and why it always separates after you scoop it out of the container.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tammy, the next person that googles "hairy ice" will find a link to my wrinkled badly manicured thumb holding the latest product from my ice maker, LOL.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, you "wonders why" are most welcome my dear friend!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VR, I have some yogurt in my fridge (that I was afraid was part of the Chiobani recall which is why I haven't eaten it yet) but tomorrow (assuming it isn't one of the ones that will land me in the OR) I'm going to look into this for you!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1379122373|3520495 said:
Hairy ice!

Gross. :knockout: But thanks for sharing. I will never again wonder what hairy ice looks like... :bigsmile:

_9947.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1379122742|3520505 said:
Missy, you "wonders why" are most welcome my dear friend!

Aww, thank you Dee Jay! Being on PS most definitely lifts my spirits even when I'm looking at pics of hairy ice instead of icy jewels. :wavey:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1379122852|3520509 said:
Hairy ice!

Gross. :knockout: But thanks for sharing. I will never again wonder what hairy ice looks like... :bigsmile:

Seriously, it never did this before. And now -- frozen fur!!! Even the plastic ice pack I use to ice my spine had furry frost in it the other day. WTF.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1379122952|3520511 said:
Hairy ice!

Seriously, it never did this before. And now -- frozen fur!!! Even the plastic ice pack I use to ice my spine had furry frost in it the other day. WTF.

Hmm, I am thinking it has to do with freezing and thawing and refreezing. That's my guess anyway.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1379123045|3520514 said:
Dee*Jay|1379122952|3520511 said:
Hairy ice!

Hmm, I am thinking it has to do with freezing and thawing and refreezing. That's my guess anyway.

I don't know... ??? Certainly that's the case for the ice pack, but ice cubes are generally a one use item for me. :lol:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm guessing the hairy ice -er- cubes has something to do with the crystals left behind when some of the water evaporates. :confused:

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1379121245|3520475 said:
... when you open the dishwasher everything else is dry but there are still drops of water on the Tupperware

Answer: http://scienceblogs.com/dotphysics/2010/06/07/ask-a-scienceblogger-drying-di/

Answer: Ice crystals on your ice. Process called sublimation => freezer burn.

I'm sure answers to these questions exist on the internet, but I've never gotten around to googling them.

What do you wonder?

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Why can't I get rid of this headache?

Why are baby animals SO DAMN CUTE?

Why, oh why, can't my husband and I prefer to sleep at the same temperature?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I wonder about pumpkin.

Specifically, what's with all the FREAKIN' pumpkin foods? Pumpkin coffee? Really? :confused:

And the thing that gets me is that people don't actually like pumpkin, the fruit. They like the cinnamon, nutmeg, etc. I'm 99% sure there's no actual pumpkin in there. So, it's basically a giant lie perpetuated by mega-corporations to sell gross coffee. LOL :)

And don't get me started on those not-so-coffee brown drinks that taste scorched. :rolleyes: They layer them with whipped cream, ice and caramel, and that is just a calorie bomb. Seriously, just because it's got an Italian name, doesn't make you a grown-up when you drink it. It's like 12 year olds pretending to drink coffee.

AND WHICH ONE IS THE SMALL? They are small, medium, and large. Simple as that. Calling one of them "giant" doesn't negate the mathematical truth of small, medium and large.

So, obviously, I'm wondering about the success of Starbucks . . . :rolleyes:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1379342245|3521622 said:
I wonder about pumpkin.

Specifically, what's with all the FREAKIN' pumpkin foods? Pumpkin coffee? Really? :confused:

And the thing that gets me is that people don't actually like pumpkin, the fruit. They like the cinnamon, nutmeg, etc. I'm 99% sure there's no actual pumpkin in there. So, it's basically a giant lie perpetuated by mega-corporations to sell gross coffee. LOL :)

And don't get me started on those not-so-coffee brown drinks that taste scorched. :rolleyes: They layer them with whipped cream, ice and caramel, and that is just a calorie bomb. Seriously, just because it's got an Italian name, doesn't make you a grown-up when you drink it. It's like 12 year olds pretending to drink coffee.

AND WHICH ONE IS THE SMALL? They are small, medium, and large. Simple as that. Calling one of them "giant" doesn't negate the mathematical truth of small, medium and large.

LOL iLander, I wonder the same. I haven't been to Starbucks recently until last week when I was hot and thirsty and I just had to have a (what I thought was the largest size) venti iced herbal passion tea. Well, imagine my surprise (and I will admit I was happy about this development haha because I was thirsty!) there is now a larger size than venti! It's called the Trenta and it is...drum roll please...31 ounces!!! OMG, don't let the governor hear about this haha. It shows you how long it's been since I've been to Starbucks because they told me it's been around for over 2 years now! 31 ounces of iced heaven though I must admit. :lickout:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone remember when Starbucks had "short"? It was what I like to think of as a "normal" size, LOL. Long gone.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay|1379121245|3520475 said:

What do you wonder?

To answer the Tupperware question, I think it's because tupperware doesn't really generate/hold its own heat. Ceramics, and metal pans, they hold heat, so they get hotter in the drying process than a tupperware would. That's what causes the droplets to become vapor or dry, is the heat. If they were to get as hot as pans and dishes do in the drying process, they'd warp.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Hairy ice!

It's Freezer burnt. Either it's been in there too long, or you held the door open for an extended period and it was able to melt a tiny tiny bit. The hair is small moisture particles that have gotten into your freezer and have frozen to the first thing they cling to. Lower your freezer temps. :))

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1379342245|3521622 said:
I wonder about pumpkin.

I make pumpkin bread with a can of pureed pumpkin. It replaces the butter and milk :) It has a very moist texture and I do taste a bit of the "pumpkin" though I admit I do love the spices. I think that they have a special way of blending with the pumpkin though. I make the bread, muffins, and I LOVE spiced pumpkin and squash soup.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay|1379362802|3521827 said:
Does anyone remember when Starbucks had "short"? It was what I like to think of as a "normal" size, LOL. Long gone.

I ordered a short and finished it in two sips. Never again! ;(

I don't wonder about the drinks Starbucks sell, because people obviously buy them because they like that stuff. Whatever, people can do what they want with their money. I do wonder why parents buy them for their young children. I've seen obese 5-6 year olds drinking venti frappuccinos! Some people may blame the company for this, but I feel like parents have to take some responsibility.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay|1379362802|3521827 said:

They still sell them, but the cardboard sleeves are too large for them, so you have to have them double layer the cups if you don't want to burn your hands! ;( (They're still around because they're the "kids size" cups...and I think they pretty much charge you for a Tall anyway... ;( ;( )

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dragonfly411, I came to the same conclusions about the ice and plastic containers in my post a couple of hours after OP started this thread. Glad to see we're in agreement.

I felt a little awkward telling someone that her ice has freezer burn, but it's common.

It is my understanding that the plastic container issue can be resolved by using the dishwasher's "Heated Dry" setting, but I always forget to try it. One of these days I'll try to remember and see if it makes a difference. No big deal though. First world problems when you have to hand dry a machine washed container or set it out to air dry instead of taking from the machine and putting it directly into a cabinet, right? Grateful for the everyday little things.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha ha MaryPoppins -- you can tell me anything! Including that my ice has freezer burn!

I dumped that batch and I'm making a new one. (And then the NEW batch will sit in my freezer until IT gets freezer burn and I dump IT and make ANOTHER one... and she told two friends... and she told two friends... :cheeky: )

The heated dry setting doesn't seem to get my tupperware dry either. Oh well. First world problems!!!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I usually end up throwing mine into the cabinet wet. :saint:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results