shape
carat
color
clarity

Italian baby Names

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hello Everyone,

I have been very busy of late and have started a new job which takes up alot of time...
7.gif

Regina and I are planning for another child and want your input on some good potential Italian baby boy/girl names....?
35.gif

Look forward to your input....
21.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well...my husband had a dream early in our marriage that we had had a baby boy and decided to call him, temporarily, Bruno. It was a name he hated. I think it was the name one of his professors '' daughters had given her baby son. You could always use Bruno if it''s a boy ;-).

Then there are names that could be English except for the spelling, like Davide, Daniele, etcetra. (These would be pronounced Dah-vee-day and Dan-yay-lay.) Or Roberto (Row-bear-toe). Or Donato (Doe-nah-toe.) What about Maurizio? (I am now thinking of some of my husband''s friends.) (Mah-oh-reet-zee-oh, by the way.) Amercians would, of course, mispronounce your son''s name.

Is your wife from Italy? Why do you want Italian names? I am just curious. My daughter (age 12) has decided two of her several daughters will be Marina and Bianca. I am glad she is planning ahead. I would hate to have to think of Italian names again in 10 years or so :).

Deb

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a good website

link

And ofcourse I love the name Angelo
emwink.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/14/2005 4:31:48 PM
Author: sevens one
Here's a good website

link

And ofcourse I love the name Angelo
emwink.gif
Nan,

That *is* a good website, but it is by no means complete. I saw some names from my husband's family missing as well as some unusual and "old-fashioned" names my husband sometimes throws around. And how could "Mario" and "Maria" be missing!!? Nonetheless, I am glad to know that site is there (I had no clue one could find such sites for baby names on the 'net!).

Deb

PS-Violetta is a female Italian name I like. I believe that that is the name of the heroine in "La Traviata".

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I love:

Antonio
Roberto
Andrea (a la Andrea Bocelli)

&

Maria
Francesca
Lina
Bella

1.gif

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Some girls ones from the list I didnt see are...
Gabrianna
Gabriella
Teresa

mary

Rough_Rock
My favorites: Vito for a boy and Appalonia for a girl. I think I''ve watched the Godfather one too many times. But I still love the names. Had I had a son, it would definitely have been Vito.

My girls names are Maria Francesca and Suzanne.

m

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
Our son''s first name is Leo. Husband is French tho''. Leo seems popular all over Europe.

http://italian.about.com/library/name/blname_leo.htm

rms

Brilliant_Rock
My cousin and his wife were going to name their daughter Gianna, until they were told about 6 weeks before the baby was due that it was actually a boy. I love that name, Gianna.

They had to return all the pink clothes they had accumulated...hehe

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Although I do like Antonio - my favorite boy name is ANTON short for the name Antony

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
I love Sophia and Luca....

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
My son''s middle name is Nino after my husband''s father.

I love the name Isabella too!
1.gif

Heather

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Rocco

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/15/2005 7:40:47 PM
Author: rms
My cousin and his wife were going to name their daughter Gianna, until they were told about 6 weeks before the baby was due that it was actually a boy.

They could have named him Gianni (a common name in Italy). Gianni Agnelli of Fiat, who was legally a Giovanni, was always known as Gianni. (Gianni is pronounced in a way that sounds like "Johnny" to Americans.)

Deborah

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you everyone for the great feedback!

AGBF I love Donata if we were to have a baby boy!

I am hoping to have a girl, but who knows what god will bring us..
emsmile.gif

My last name Rioux is French but I am 1/2 French & 1/2 Italian...

I like many of the Italian names and will list my favorite French and Italian baby girl names..

Let me know what you guys think of these...
emteeth.gif

French Girl Names:

Adora, Belle, Carissa, Chantal, Diamanta (like a diamond), Elle, Shantelle
Italian Girl Names:

Belladonna, Bianca, Mia, Caterina, Giovanna, Viviana, Gabriella, Annabelle, Carina, Isabella, Juliana, Karina, Leila, Misa, Monique, Sarafina, Sarina, Violetta, Rosalina, Qiara

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey josh! it''s good to see you back here! hope the new job is going well.
1.gif

that is a nice list of names you''ve compiled there
36.gif
in going through them and trying them out with your last name, i realized that i might not be pronouncing it right
37.gif
so please forgive my ignorance, but would you mind telling the correct pronunciation?

also, do you have a list of favorite boys names? ....you have to be prepared for both!

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It''s Rioux and pronuonced (Ree-o), the u and x are silent..
21.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Josh,

If you have a boy his name would have to be "Donato" with an "o" at the end. In Italian many names can be either masculine or feminine based on their endings. "Donata" would be for a girl...perhaps the girl you were hoping for? "Donato", by the way, means "given".

I think some of your "French" names are Italian and "Italian" names are French. ("Monique" is French. "Carissa" is Italian.) But what the heck? They are all in the same family!

Deb

rosalie11228

Rough_Rock
"Giancarlo" is what we named our son. It is Frances Ford Coppola''s sons name.

If you are looking for a very Sicilian girls name, you dont get any more Sicilian than "Rosalia". She is the patron saint of Sicily.

Kind regards,

[email protected]

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
My vote was Gianni for a boy and Giovanna for a girl - but I''m biased, those names are in my family. Love them! Love Giancarlo as well!

IndiBlue

Shiny_Rock
I have to vote for Carissa as it is also my name!
28.gif

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
I SO SO SO SO want to name my next girl Helena... As in Ha-lay-na

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
rent some good italian movies and listen to how they pronounce each other''s names. read the credits for spelling. i think you''ll get a lot more ideas and have the opportunity to have fun while doing so.....but then, again, i''m obviously prejudiced because i''m a movie zombie!

peace, movie zombie

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I used to babysit for an Italian family.
The boy was names Luca (I think his middle name might have been Zane)
And the girls were Graziana and Alessandra

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/7/2005 4:22:00 PM
Author: movie zombie
rent some good italian movies and listen to how they pronounce each other''s names.
...​

i''m obviously prejudiced because i''m a movie zombie!

I immediately thought of the scene in, "The Haiku Tunnel" in which Joshua is pronouncing the lovely names of secretaries, then the names of attorneys!!! I absolutely love that movie!!!

Deb

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Italian names lets see:

Girl:
Viviana
Rosalia
Gianna

Boy:
Antonio
Marco
Giovanni

I am preggers & keep changing my mind on my baby girl''s name. Im doing French. It''s so much easier to suggest names for others than to try & name my own.
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehe Josh so you asked about this back in May...did you guys have a baby or are you just planning ahead??

I like the name Elle personally. I believe in making sure that your kid can spell whatever you name them, having been named with a very long difficult-to-learn-to-spell name (which I shortened to Mara) so I tend to like more simple names.

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve always loved Annabelle. B
eing a big Italian myself I have tons of names! But as Mara said, this is an old thread so doubt they''ll help you now!
31.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/9/2005 5:49:42 PM
Author: Angel7
I''ve always loved Annabelle.

If I remember correctly, that is what the Duke and Duchess of York wanted to name their first daughter, but it was nixed by Queen Elizabeth. They had to choose from amongst names used previously by royalty, I think!

Deb

ello

Brilliant_Rock
Hi my Italian boyfriend''s - mom''s name is Domenica. Prononounced - Do-me-ni-ca (it means Sunday)
It''s so pretty!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results