shape
carat
color
clarity

It Looks As If Donald Trump, Jr. Did Some Meddling!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From "The New York Times".

Trump’s Son Met With Russian Lawyer After Being Promised Damaging Information on Clinton

"President Trump’s eldest son, Donald Trump Jr., was promised damaging information about Hillary Clinton before agreeing to meet with a Kremlin-connected Russian lawyer during the 2016 campaign, according to three advisers to the White House briefed on the meeting and two others with knowledge of it.

The meeting was also attended by his campaign chairman at the time, Paul J. Manafort, and his son-in-law, Jared Kushner. Mr. Manafort and Mr. Kushner only recently disclosed the meeting, though not its content, in confidential government documents described to The New York Times.

The Times reported the existence of the meeting on Saturday. But in subsequent interviews, the advisers and others revealed the motivation behind it.

The meeting — at Trump Tower on June 9, 2016, two weeks after Donald J. Trump clinched the Republican nomination — points to the central question in federal investigations of the Kremlin’s meddling in the presidential election: whether the Trump campaign colluded with the Russians. The accounts of the meeting represent the first public indication that at least some in the campaign were willing to accept Russian help.

And while President Trump has been dogged by revelations of undisclosed meetings between his associates and the Russians, the episode at Trump Tower is the first such confirmed private meeting involving members of his inner circle during the campaign — as well as the first one known to have included his eldest son. It came at an inflection point in the campaign, when Donald Trump Jr., who served as an adviser and a surrogate, was ascendant and Mr. Manafort was consolidating power.

It is unclear whether the Russian lawyer, Natalia Veselnitskaya, actually produced the promised compromising information about Mrs. Clinton. But the people interviewed by The Times about the meeting said the expectation was that she would do so.

In a statement on Sunday, Donald Trump Jr. said he had met with the Russian lawyer at the request of an acquaintance. 'After pleasantries were exchanged,' he said, 'the woman stated that she had information that individuals connected to Russia were funding the Democratic National Committee and supporting Ms. Clinton. Her statements were vague, ambiguous and made no sense. No details or supporting information was provided or even offered. It quickly became clear that she had no meaningful information.'

He said she then turned the conversation to adoption of Russian children and the Magnitsky Act, an American law that blacklists suspected Russian human rights abusers. The law so enraged President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia that he retaliated by halting American adoptions of Russian children.

'It became clear to me that this was the true agenda all along and that the claims of potentially helpful information were a pretext for the meeting,' Mr. Trump said.

When he was first asked about the meeting on Saturday, he said only that it was primarily about adoptions and mentioned nothing about Mrs. Clinton.

Mark Corallo, a spokesman for the president’s lawyer, said on Sunday that 'the president was not aware of and did not attend the meeting.'

Lawyers and spokesmen for Mr. Kushner and Mr. Manafort did not immediately respond to requests for comment. In his statement, Donald Trump Jr. said he asked Mr. Manafort and Mr. Kushner to attend, but did not tell them what the meeting was about."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/09/...column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Interesting stuff...thanks for posting it, Deb!

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
Donald Trump Jr isn't very bright. No wonder Sr is so enamored with Ivanka; she's at least smart enough to keep her mouth shut. I think we just found the patsy.

The Washington Post just revealed the identity of the person who served as the go-between (emphasis mine):

In an interview Sunday, Rob Goldstone, a music publicist who is friendly with Donald Jr., told The Washington Post that he had arranged the meeting at request of a Russian client and attended with Veselnitskaya.

Goldstone has been active with the Miss Universe pageant and works as a manager for Emin Agalarov, a Russian pop star whose father is a wealthy Moscow developer who sponsored the pageant in the Russian capital in 2013.

Goldstone would not name the client. Instead, he said that Veselnitskaya wanted to discuss ways that Trump could be helpful on the Magnitsky Act issue should he be elected president.

“Once she presented what she had to say, it was like, ‘Can you keep an eye on it? Should [Trump] be in power, maybe that’s conversation that he may have in the future?’ ” Goldstone said.
I'm looking forward to Donald Trump Sr's tweets tomorrow.

Last edited:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So did they get the information is the question? That would mean that Trump was aware of Russian interference. Interesting. But it could be innocuous also.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So did they get the information is the question? That would mean that Trump was aware of Russian interference. Interesting. But it could be innocuous also.

It is looking as if a Grand Jury may be deciding if it innocuous. Too many lies. The only way to stop the lies is to put these characters under oath where if they lie, they go to jail.

It now does not matter where "The New York Times" got its initial information. Donald Trump, Jr. made a startling statement after the story broke that confirmed his guilt. "Morning Joe" on MSNBC has been dissecting the story. It is truly unbelievable. Apparently once Jared Kushner revised his statment about a meeting he had with a Russian attorney, other people present at that meeting (Paul Manafort and Donald Trump, Jr) had to rethink whether they had been there, too! So Donald Trump, Jr is now muddling around, trying to decide why he was at that meeting: whether it was to discuss Russian adoptions (his first try) or to discuss sabotaging Hillary Clinton's campaign (the second story he settled with). I wonder what Paul Manafort will say!

Here is what "The Washington Post" is saying about Donald Jr's attempt to correct his first lie and how he made things much, much worse... https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...to-the-new-york-times/?utm_term=.d50d72ca59b7

AGBF

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
Even if they didn't get any information, it showed a willingness of the Trump campaign to receive information about their opponent from Russians. See also the Peter W. Smith story from the WSJ: Smith was trying to obtain HRC's email and continued to pursue it even after he was told it was probably from Russian hackers.

Last edited:

E B

Ideal_Rock
An interesting timeline below. Don Jr. seeking damaging info on Hillary from the Russians was a pretty big missing (though suspected) piece of the puzzle. Still some holes, but the smoke is pouring in.

Screen Shot 2017-07-10 at 12.38.29 PM.png

Reactions: t-c

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And there is a lot of smoke, They are a family of Liars. It will be interesting to see how they dig their way out if this one. Donald Jr is not too bright so this should be interesting to watch. It will also be interesting to see how their supporters spin this one.

E B

Ideal_Rock

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
:-o Whoa!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW!!!! Guess Donnie Jr had a good reason to hire a criminal defense attorney.

I'm wondering how long it will take Trump Supporters to say Donnie Jr. was set up?

Last edited:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm wondering how long it will take Trump Supporters to say Donnie Jr. was set up?
That happened the day the story broke. Reps said Dems were behind the set up.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I really need to turn on Fox News once in a while.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really need to turn on Fox News once in a while.
Noooooo. Keep your eyes and ears pure. The taint of The Fox is bad for your health.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

WOW!!!! Guess Donnie Jr had a good reason to hire a criminal defense attorney.

Meanwhile, on MSNBC, the hosts are speculating as to whether Donald, Jr has been sacrificed to spare Jared Kushner! Jared Kushner has far more to lose in terms of legal penalties, so why not say that it was Donald, Jr who played the lead role here (when it was really Kushner)? I mean, isn't Donald, Jr too dumb?

AGBF

E B

Ideal_Rock
Welp.

Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 11.11.11 AM.png

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/11/us/politics/trump-russia-email-clinton.html?smid=tw-share

You know this can't be where it ends.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And Dad says he knew nothing of the meeting. MY GOD, these people.

EB, that timeline you posted is so important! Good job posting it.

Annette
Its obvious that the Pres., who didn't want to be beholden to special interests, and paid for his campaign out of his own funds, was not talking about a foreign Gov't helping him. This explains his love of Putin. Now it makes sense.

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
Jr seems to be capitulating rather too easily. Is DT Jr falling on his sword here? What about Jared and good ol' dad? Fortunately, I don't think Mueller would be easily dissuaded.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excerpted from The Washington Post"

"The New York Times reported — and Donald Trump Jr. appeared to confirm — that he agreed to a meeting with a Russian lawyer who had damaging information on Hillary Clinton after getting an email that the Russian government was trying to help his father win the election.

'It's as close as you can get to a smoking gun' of whether the Trump campaign colluded with Russia, said Jeffrey Jacobovitz, a white-collar lawyer who represented officials in the Clinton White House and now is with Arnall Golden Gregory. And it could mean Trump Jr. crossed the legal line on collusion with Russia.

First, a reframing of the way we think of collusion. Collusion actually is a political term; there's no line in the criminal code that says you go to jail for colluding with a foreign adversary.

But you can go to jail for conspiring with a foreign adversary to influence or undermine an election, and Jacobovitz thinks what Trump Jr. did, as documented by emails he himself shared on Twitter, could rise to that level.

Here is page 4 (which did not post due to space constraints). pic.twitter.com/z1Xi4nr2gq

— Donald Trump Jr. (@DonaldJTrumpJr) July 11, 2017

'Absolutely,' Jacobovitz replied when asked if these emails firm up evidence that Trump Jr. had intent to commit a crime by conspiring with the Russians. 'You may have crossed the line on conspiracy to commit election fraud or conspiracy to obtain information from a foreign adversary,' he said. 'You cannot benefit from a foreign adversary in this kind of scenario.'

Other legal minds agree. 'It's a shocking admission of a criminal conspiracy,' said Jens David Ohlin, associate dean of Cornell Law School, in a statement shared with The Post. 'The conversation will now turn to whether President Trump was personally involved or not. But the question of the campaign's involvement appears settled now. The answer is yes.'"

Link to article...https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/07/11/donald-trump-jr-may-have-just-crossed-the-legal-line-on-collusion/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_fix-930am:homepage/story&utm_term=.66ee839732ca

AGBF

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So he did it (i.e., released his emails on twitter) because the NYT was about to publish them and this was his way of getting in front of it...?

These people never fail to astonish me.

E B

Ideal_Rock
So he did it (i.e., released his emails on twitter) because the NYT was about to publish them and this was his way of getting in front of it...?

Exactly. And he's being called transparent for doing so by his father and other Republicans. :lol: You can't make this sh*t up.

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
I wonder if this is Putin throwing his weight around (i.e. look what I can do if that sanctions bill passes...)? It just seems so weird that all this came out so easily. And the lawyer was not very helpful to them. Plus that initial email was so explicit about the Russian Government helping Trump...a 10 year old is more subtle. Good lord, I'm becoming a conspiracy theorist! Someone slap me :confused:

I wonder how Trump supporters are explaining this away.

E B

Ideal_Rock
I wonder if this is Putin throwing his weight around (i.e. look what I can do if that sanctions bill passes...)? It just seems so weird that all this came out so easily. And the lawyer was not very helpful to them. Plus that initial email was so explicit about the Russian Government helping Trump...a 10 year old is more subtle. Good lord, I'm becoming a conspiracy theorist! Someone slap me :confused:

What I've seen so far is either:
1) He was set up! (I mean, really think about how stupid this is)
2) It's just oppo, everyone does it.

One of the reporters of these latest bombshells says there's more to come.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Now they're saying "thank you Putin for meddling and making america great again." *eyeroll*

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

DeeJay, Didn't you hear Donnie Jr. is a "high quality person" at least that's what his dad said today LOL!!

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that they discussed this on email. This takes stupid to a whole new level.

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
Now they're saying "thank you Putin for meddling and making america great again." *eyeroll*
For real ?!?!?!
gaah.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
The goalposts are and will continue to be moved with each revelation.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like Donald Trump the prez may not be the dumbest Donald Trump. Donnie, Jr. definitely didn't fall far from the tree.

Each piece of new news never ceases to amaze. The entire turn of events would be entertaining if it weren't so serious and depressing. Well, okay it does make me laugh occasionally because the whole situation is so bizarre. :twisted:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results