shape
carat
color
clarity

It is not wrong to recomend someone relax and even step back in a kind way.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is not wrong if your helping someone and sense they are getting stuck or having a hard time with it to gently recommend they might consider relaxing and even stepping back a bit.
Let them know you will be there for them when they are ready,
Spending a lot of money and wanting to do it right can get stressful and even frustrating.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes! I have often reminded people to take a breather, take a week off from PS entirely if necessary, and come back to think about their project again once they've had time NOT thinking about it. I often have to do that when I have custom projects in the works. And when I'm buying things - I'm literally buying off a list I composed about eight years ago of my dream collection, just very slowly ticking things off. I often have a gem in my possession months or years before setting it - if I don't have a firm idea of what I want for the setting, I don't move at all on it. If I think I have a firm idea, post here, and go "oh... actually no," then I abandon it until I DO have a firm idea. Most of us CSers have full-to-bursting gem boxes with pretty gems we don't know how to set. I don't have infinite money but I do have expensive taste, so I prefer not to make mistakes, since every setting mistake I make is more time I have to wait to save up to get something else!

I think it's also helpful to remind people new here that even those of us who have been buying jewelry and doing custom projects for years or decades get frustrated and don't know what we want and have to step back and reprioritize. When you first come here, it looks like everyone has absolutely perfect jewelry and like our collections sprang, fully-formed, into existence. When that's very much not how it is for most of us. We too had to struggle through our budgets not necessarily being entirely sufficient for our dreams and having to figure out what we can compromise on and what we can't. I saw someone post the other day that she just wanted a perfect diamond like all the diamonds PSers have, but PSers DON'T all have perfect diamonds! We all have GORGEOUS diamonds, but not necessarily perfect (except, of course, for those who have Octavias ;)2). And we're very, very good at taking pictures of our jewelry.

mission1

Shiny_Rock
Totally agree. I think what can be difficult is knowing whether the fairly small variances which inform preferences stated on PS actually make very much difference - for two stones within the ranges generally recommended, perhaps the differences might be just about visible to the untrained eye if the two stones are next to each other, but probably not! Everyone wants the best, but sometimes you can end up obsessing over the influence of a tiny % difference to a diamond angle...the benefit and curse of PS ;-)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone wants the best, but sometimes you can end up obsessing over the influence of a tiny % difference to a diamond angle...the benefit and curse of PS ;-)
It is a "mind thing". I have a very narrowed specs in mind for MRB.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ignorance is bliss?
i like to think that Pricescope helps new, novice and naive buyers make a better decision. Whether someone has $500 to spend or $50,000 is irrelevant I hope our advice / guidance helps them get the best gem for their hard earnt dollars.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results