shape
carat
color
clarity

It didn''t happen in Europe, but. . .

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
I got engaged the night after we got home (last night)!
9.gif

We spent the last two weeks in France and Belgium, and I really, really thought it was going to happen there. So, about night 4 we stayed in this hotel that was voted "one of the most romantic hotels in Europe." I jokingly asked if anything ''romantic'' was going to happen and he just laughed. He mentioned in that conversation that he had thought about bringing the ring but that it scared him to travel with it while it was uninsured. Plus, he said that since we were traveling with two others, he thought it would be weird to propose (which I now agree with, but hadn''t thought about before). I was upset, of course, but I quickly got over it and had a great time!

When we got home we just crashed, so we immediately fell asleep. The next day we were running errands all day and spent the evening getting ready to go back to school (first day of the quarter was today). I was running back and forth between my laptop in the living room, where he was working, and my office. I sat down next to him and started watching a movie on TV.

About an hour later, I picked up my computer and there was a picture of Jaws popping out of the water on it. I said "Is that Jaws?" and when I turned around to look at him, he was holding my ring. We both love Kevin Smith movies and I have always joked that I wanted to be proposed to when Jaws was popping out of the water
3.gif

He went on to say some wonderful things and talked about how it meant a lot to propose in our home where we have so many memories and live our lives together. And he also did it on syllabus eve--my favorite day of the year. (As a 6th year PhD student, you have got to love school to keep going). It was not what I expected, but the best way it could have happened. I love him so, so much and I cannot wait to continue our lives together.

Yay!

So, here are the specs:

.72 Asscher
D
SI1 (eye-clean)
Excellent Polish
Excellent Symmetry
5.13 x 5.11 x 3.41

JA 2.2 mm wire basket setting
Size 5.5

kat.ivy1.liw.JPG

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG Congratulations!!!!!Your ring is LOVELY!!!!

And what is your PhD in?

katamari

Ideal_Rock
handshot

(I''m putting more in SMTR, if you are interested)

kat.handshot1.liw.JPG

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much Freke and blackpolkadot!

Blackpolkadot, I have to admit, I was lurking while one vacation and had to look at your ring like every day. It is fantastic!

Here is the SMTR link: here

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Yay katamari!!! What a gorgeous ring!

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Hi Freke. I''m getting my PhD in Sociology. I should defend my dissertation at the end of Autumn 2009, advisors willing
20.gif

HappyCat

Rough_Rock
Congratulations!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

blondebunny

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats!! Its so pretty!! :)

SailorsSweet<3

Brilliant_Rock
Very cute story and beautiful ring! Congrats!

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations!!!

I love your ring!

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous Asscher! It looks so elegant.

CONGRATULATIONS on your engagement! I am so happy to hear you had such a special proposal. Wishing you lot of happiness!

goodfun7580

Shiny_Rock
Congrats!!! Your ring is absolutely beautiful!!!! I''m soooo happy for you!! Now it''s on to wedding planning...
emteeth.gif

princess_natalie

Rough_Rock
Oh wow!

How precious :) What a sweet story. Very cute indeed :)

CONGRATULATIONS :) :)

36.gif
30.gif
36.gif

sklingem

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats from one Sociology PhD to a soon-to-be one!! Wonderful ring!! All the best to you and your F!

historychick

Shiny_Rock
Jaws...Kevin Smith...Mall Rats...how romatic. I love it. You are quite lucky to have found a man that shares your interests and sense of humor. Keep your chin up grad school can''t last forever, before you know it you''ll be defending you thesis and out the door!

vita*dolce

Brilliant_Rock
congratulations!! i love your engagement story, and kevin smith movies, as it happens!! your ring is beautiful, i hope you two are so happy together!!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/24/2008 7:20:50 PM
Author: katamari
Hi Freke. I''m getting my PhD in Sociology. I should defend my dissertation at the end of Autumn 2009, advisors willing
20.gif

Congrats on getting engaged! Thats a great proposal story with the Jaws on the computer. Your FI sounds very sweet and thoughtful. I adore the elegant simplicity of your ring. This forum is certainly making me gain a much bigger appreciation of step-cut stones!

Hey, I''m your fellow Autumn 2009 PhD student!! I can relate to the "advisors willing
20.gif
" sentiment totally... I''ve been told that I have to publish at least 3 refereed articles before I can leave. Right now I have... none.
41.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations! I just saw your ring on the <1 ct thread and I *love* it!

Dannielle

Brilliant_Rock
Love, love, love asschers!
30.gif
30.gif

Beautiful ring & beautiful story. Congratulations!!!

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
36.gif

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
My DH and I love Kevin Smith. I just made him pause the TV so I could read him your story. His response? "That dude''s my new hero. Is she dating Jason Mews?"

If you haven''t ever seen it, I heartily recommend renting "An Evening With Kevin Smith."

Congrats!

(and as a sidenote... this will be my first post from Safari...woohooo! No more moving between browsers!)

Patiently_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful ring - congratulations!!!

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats! What a beautiful ring, and the Kevin Smith twist is just awesome.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations!! Your ring is a beauty.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations katamari
36.gif
Im so happy for you, enjoy your engagement!!

PS - I love your ring, its a stunning stone
30.gif
30.gif

Booper717

Shiny_Rock
Such a cute story!! You''re ring is beautiful! I LOVE solitaires!!

Yayyyyy!!!!!!!!! Congrats :)
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

dr.stacie

Rough_Rock
beautiful ring! so elegant! congratulations!

on another note, i just got my PhD in neuroscience. i defended in April 2008 after what felt like an ETERNITY of school (5 years!). I totally feel your pain when you say you''d like to defend next August...adviser''s willing. it seems like they want to hold onto you FOREVER!

ams0124

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations!!! Your ring is beautiful!!!
9.gif
9.gif

debzy103

Shiny_Rock
Yay!!! Congrats!!! It had been too long since someone on here got engaged...I''m glad you were able to break that! You must be so excited. And you''re ring is gorgeous! Must be nice to return to school with a little bling to show off!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results