shape
carat
color
clarity

ISO Moms wedding set to buy

661E4BD4-85FA-47D7-89A4-2BFC38F4A0E2.jpeg I’m searching for my Mom’s wedding set. The only description I have is from when my Daddy purchased the ring in 1968. It is described as a large wedding set 3.00 TW, Coronet, 14k white gold with 12 .20 pt diamonds and 1 center stone .75 pt. TW 3cts.15 pts. My Mom passed in March 2019. As her only daughter this piece of their love means more to me than cost. The ring was pawned in Columbia, TN. It was sold (for cash) as told to me sometime after January 2019. The ring shouldn’t have ever been pawned nor sold but the most I can do is search. It was 14k white gold but the prongs were yellow gold on the center stone. This is the best picture I have of it. I would very much appreciate anyone who might have this ring and consider selling it to me. I do know the set was soldered together and was thin from wear. Thank you

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish you the best of luck in your search :)

I'm sure you already have, but you could write to/email all the pawn shops listed around the search area :)

Thank you OoohShiny. I know what pawn shop sold it but they claim it was a cash sale and they didn’t know the buyer.
I’m not sure how to search other than jewelry forums and I’m going to see if there is a pawn shop forum. I’ve searched eBay, FB market place for 100 mile area. Maybe someone will remember my post and it might be located. I’ll keep searching.
Thanks again!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you OoohShiny. I know what pawn shop sold it but they claim it was a cash sale and they didn’t know the buyer.
I’m not sure how to search other than jewelry forums and I’m going to see if there is a pawn shop forum. I’ve searched eBay, FB market place for 100 mile area. Maybe someone will remember my post and it might be located. I’ll keep searching.
Thanks again!
Do you have a local newspaper or similar publication that you could perhaps place an advert within?

Or you might be able to place a targeted advert via Facebook to all residents within the area?

I guess we can only hope that if it doesn't come back to you, it has gone to a lovely new home that loves it as much as you!

Yes there is a local newspaper and i’m not far from Nashville, which of course has a newspaper. I hadn’t thought of that because very few people still get the newspaper. FB is a no go. I have too many family members that would see the advert. No one knows it is gone. My Dad passed back in early 90’s, my Mom had not worn it for a long time because of arthritis in knuckles.

Can you explain to me what the appraisals mean? Like I said the first one is from the jewelry store Daddy purchased it from which is no longer in business. I have a small plastic zip lock bag Mom kept it in with, Clyde Duneier, Inc. New York printed on it. The paperwork when bought is a “Royalty” Diamond purchase bond. It was issued by United Jewelers & Distributors, Inc. Shreveport, LA. It says “bought and delivered to” at the top before name address etc. I also have an appraisal dated in 1980 with the original description I posted. I don’t understand all of it. I know nothing about pts. I’m slightly familiar with carats like most women. I haven’t found anything with clarity, color etc, I only know those words from my searching. There is a value on the original sale and a higher value on the 1980 appraisal. Was it common practice in the 60’s to have a ring made then delivered to the purchaser?
Thank you for your help!

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
First, I'm so sorry about your Mom, and I understand how much the rings mean to you as a symbol of your parent's dear love. ( My crazy aunt sold my grandmother's ERing which was supposed to go to me.)
Now, to a solution. Sometimes, people come back to resell where they got an item. Give your info to the salespeople, let them know you'd be ready to buy it back if it reappears. Explain how important is to you and why, so they take a genuine interest and also remember your face, the ring, the story. Come back in yourself often to check the cases.
Keep your eyes open when shopping...you may see it on a lady's finger! What a story that would be!
Then, pray to St. Anthony! It was, after all, lost. (I hope that doesn't offend!)

Thank you tigertales. They definitely know who I am at the pawn shop. I’ve been in often to ask and look. They know the story, I’ve cried like a baby trying to explain, asking them to look on video of store, asking for date of sale. They have been very sketchy (in my opinion). They advised if they saw something like it come back they would call but didn’t write my name down or number. Some people, just friends think they kept it. I don’t know but I do go by often.
I will pay more attention to other ladies rings, thanks for suggesting. No offense taken!
I sure wish people were more honest, these days it seems unheard of practically!
The pic I posted is identical to my Mom’s ring, it’s on eBay but 2.5 TDW and I have 2 papers stating 3.00 TDW. I have contacted the seller which is in CA. That’s a long way from point of sale. Regardless I might end up making a deal for it but I’m afraid of buying before authentication.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry to hear about the loss of your mum & the loss of her rings.

Wishing you lots of luck in your search & please keep us posted if you find it. That would be the most fabulous of happy endings!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pic I posted is identical to my Mom’s ring, it’s on eBay but 2.5 TDW and I have 2 papers stating 3.00 TDW. I have contacted the seller which is in CA. That’s a long way from point of sale. Regardless I might end up making a deal for it but I’m afraid of buying before authentication.

What is the returns policy of the ebay vendor selling the ring you have found? It could be a central sales/distribution place if the pawnshops locally are part of a nationwide chain, or it could be the local pawnshops sell to online sellers for a quick/easy sale.

If the returns policy is good then I think it would be a good idea to order it and check it out - if it is almost exactly the same, perhaps including being welded together (although they could have been split for easier onward sale), then that seems too similar to be coincidental.

The different in weights (2.5 vs 3) is close enough to warrant inspection as well - after all, if they original stones were weighed prior to setting, and the estimate of 2.5 was done when they are set, half a carat split over that many stones really is not that much different.

Also, think of it this way - if you could order it and return it if it's not 'the one', and you don't do so, you will never know for sure either way and may kick yourself in years to come that you didn't seize the opportunity while it was there!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your mum's ring. What were the circumstances of it's disappearance? If it was taken illegally your best chance would be to have a police report filed for it's theft. Then the police might have access to more records of sale.

They have been very sketchy (in my opinion).

I don't think this is very sketchy. Think about it. If it was legally acquired by the pawn shop and they sold it on, why would they give you any details? You're a random person to them, not their customer, and you're attempting to get details about their customer. I wouldn't want any store I purchased from giving details about me away! If a stranger called me regarding any of my purchases I'd be livid. I'd feel like my privacy was violated and I'd file a complaint against the shop who gave out my details. If a store contacted me, I'd feel taken aback and pressured, as though I'd done something wrong. It'd taint my happy purchase. As long as the store legally acquired it, I think you're expecting too much from them.

When I shop I don't give out my full name, address, telephone anyhow so the store may genuinely not have that information. When's the last time you purchased an item and gave that information out to the store clerk?

I don't think you're going to get the option to inspect the ring first. You may need to purchase if the seller has a good return policy. My ring, originally purchased in Florida from a vintage store, is now in England, around 5,000 miles away. It happens. The pawn shop could have sold it to a dealer or could have sold it online or the person who purchased it may have taken it over themselves.

I think the chances of you finding your mum's actual ring and that person wanting to sell it is very slim. It's possible it was used as an engagement ring and now the owner would never advertise that they even own it.

I am very sorry for your loss and wish you the best of luck!

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
Some of my traded in rings have ended up on my jeweler's wife's hand. Not because they were huge or anything, but because he/she just liked them for whatever reason. I tried to get one back once ( when I realized my mistake in selling, offered to re-buy) no such luck !

I don't know if they're sketchy, or it's just a pawn shop way of doing business...oh wait, isn't that the same thing? LOL.
You know, when I knew I wouldn't get my grandmother's ring, I eventually bought one just like it ( albeit quite a bit smaller! ) just to remember her by.
Maybe you could get creative and reconstruct your Mom's, hun. I know it's not exactly the same, but what joy it would give you to find the diamonds, recreate it all new and shiny/happy...kind of like a rebirth, and giving your parent's memory a brand new season of life!

Thank y’all very much for your advice. I’ve told the same story to the store offering the ring on eBay. They didn’t indicate any possibility they had acquired it through auction etc. As far as the pawn shop, it was legally pawned and they foreclosed on it last November. They knew I wanted to get it, unfortunately I wasn’t able to at the time and they continuously told me it would be there. When I went to purchase in February it was gone. I’m just heartbroken about it all. Again, thank you! I’ll keep y’all updated.

Ladies estate diamond ring set in 14k white gold.
Stamped 14k and weighs 8.3 grams.
The center diamond is a round brilliant cut, .42 carat, i color, Si2 clarity, good cut.
The side diamonds on the attached band and main ring are round brilliant cuts,
H to i color, Si clarity, good cuts, 2.08 total carats.
The ring size is 6 1/2 and can be sized.
Very impressive look and in very good condition.

I think the shop has a great reputation and 100% feedback since 2008. Returns within 30 days. Now.....my jewelry friends. You’ve seen the pic, this is the description, what is a good price to offer?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ladies estate diamond ring set in 14k white gold.
Stamped 14k and weighs 8.3 grams.
The center diamond is a round brilliant cut, .42 carat, i color, Si2 clarity, good cut.
The side diamonds on the attached band and main ring are round brilliant cuts,
H to i color, Si clarity, good cuts, 2.08 total carats.
The ring size is 6 1/2 and can be sized.
Very impressive look and in very good condition.

I think the shop has a great reputation and 100% feedback since 2008. Returns within 30 days. Now.....my jewelry friends. You’ve seen the pic, this is the description, what is a good price to offer?

What is their current pricing?

Is it acceptable or near-acceptable with some haggling?

I fear that you will lose it if you vacillate for too long, and then there will be no way to get it again.

Carpe Diem, as the saying goes - you can always earn more money to pay yourself back, but you are unlikely to get a second chance to get what could be your family jewellery back into the family, especially when it's already in another part of the country.

I am the world's worst for procrastinating and hesitating and doing days of research before committing to buying something, but sometimes one just has to go for it and go with your gut. I feel this is one of those times.

What will hurt more - paying a few more dollars or never having the chance to have it in your hands because you wanted to save a few bucks?

Last edited:
You’re right and I’ve messaged the vendor about whether it’s still available. I haven’t heard back yet. I don’t think the price is bad but I don’t know the worth of the description. I think it’s 2900.00 and we’re willing to negotiate. I sure hope I haven’t missed an opportunity to get it. The eBay listing showed closed on May 2nd but it appears to still be active.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You’re right and I’ve messaged the vendor about whether it’s still available. I haven’t heard back yet. I don’t think the price is bad but I don’t know the worth of the description. I think it’s 2900.00 and we’re willing to negotiate. I sure hope I haven’t missed an opportunity to get it. The eBay listing showed closed on May 2nd but it appears to still be active.
If you have 30-day returns policy to work with, you can check if it is your mum's - and either way, you could send it to one of the PS-recommended appraisers for review and assessment to make sure all is as it should be.

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
I am hoping that the power of the internet brings you and the ring (or maybe the ring!) back together again. More unusual things have happened. Please keep us updated!

Thank you all for your advice and thoughts of kindness for me. I did purchase the pictured ring. I took it to my local jeweler and it’s very authentic. Like I said in the beginning, this ring is identical to my Mom’s so as suggested I went ahead and bought it. I will keep looking at the pawn shop just to let them know I’m still looking. I’m very pleased with the ring I bought. There was no special markings on my Mom’s ring so I’ll never really know but I do have an exact replica.

Again thanks to all in this forum. If any of you come across anything similar I’d love to see it.
:kiss2:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your advice and thoughts of kindness for me. I did purchase the pictured ring. I took it to my local jeweler and it’s very authentic. Like I said in the beginning, this ring is identical to my Mom’s so as suggested I went ahead and bought it. I will keep looking at the pawn shop just to let them know I’m still looking. I’m very pleased with the ring I bought. There was no special markings on my Mom’s ring so I’ll never really know but I do have an exact replica.

Again thanks to all in this forum. If any of you come across anything similar I’d love to see it.
:kiss2:
I'm so pleased!

Even if you cannot ever be sure it is your mum's, you will think of her whenever you look at it :))

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results