shape
carat
color
clarity

Is your Engagement ring your most expensive piece of jewelry?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
(Including resets and upgrades, not necessarily your original ring if you no longer wear that as your ering).

If not, what is?

Got curious since I’m designing an engagement ring that is actually more modest than the other diamond rings I own (but has more sentiment).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No it is my second most piece of expensive jewelry though. I guess if I consider all I spent on my earlier engagement rings and the losses I took "upgrading" then my current OEC might overtake my most expensive piece of jewelry but I get a headache trying to figure that out lol.

In terms of what my OEC is worth it is second in line to my Cartier Black opal.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Yes currently it definitely is. My wedding ring is my second most expensive one :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MeowMeow, @MakingTheGrade and everyone who shares here...let's add photos for visual interest if you're game.

My most recent opal photo.

cartierblackopalnov2018.jpg.png

and one of my OEC (with almost all my bands..not how I wear her but for photo interest).

bubbalahand5bands.jpg.png

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, the ring I wear as my engagement ring is my most expensive piece of jewelry.

@MakingTheGrade, sounds like there is an upcoming engagement! :kiss2: - exciting!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, the ring I wear as my engagement ring is my most expensive piece of jewelry.

@MakingTheGrade, sounds like there is an upcoming engagement! :kiss2: - exciting!

Haha not nearly as exciting as it sounds. We’ve been together almost 4 years and basically have had the understanding of building a life together but I’ve never had much interest in formalizing it with marriage (I have atypical views on the concept). But for health insurance coverage reasons I’ll like do it so I can cover my partner.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Sure @missy
Mine are not as nice as most here though. But I will share anyway. The light was that noon yellow for one of them so that's why it's so yellow looking lol. The other I took outside while I was walking to a dr appointment. 20180111_132125.jpg 20181127_080947.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sure @missy
Mine are not as nice as most here though. But I will share anyway. The light was that noon yellow for one of them so that's why it's so yellow looking lol. The other I took outside while I was walking to a dr appointment. 20180111_132125.jpg 20181127_080947.jpg

Your rings are beautiful. So feminine and lovely @MeowMeow :love:
Thanks for adding your photos. :appl:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha not nearly as exciting as it sounds. We’ve been together almost 4 years and basically have had the understanding of building a life together but I’ve never had much interest in formalizing it with marriage (I have atypical views on the concept). But for health insurance coverage reasons I’ll like do it so I can cover my partner.

Ok, so there's a practical component to this lol - but it's also very special! (hopeless romantic :P2) Looking forward to seeing the ring!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My current engagement ring is only 1/3 carat so probably this three row band, it's around one carat of mixed old cuts.

IMG_8211.JPG

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 25 year upgrade is the most expensive, and I almost never wear it. My fault for choosing 18k white gold with engravings I'm so afraid of damaging or showing wear. I love the look, but can't bear the responsibility of making it less pristine. Dumb, I know.:eek2:

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
My e-ring WILL be my most expensive piece of jewelry, but that is mostly bc my fine jewelry atm is essentially limited to that and a pair of .5ctw studs soooo.... I don't actually think it will remain my most expensive piece (depending on how life treats me), as it is fairly modest, especially by PS standards.

I feel like it would depend on if you are a "wear your e-ring every day" or "wear your e-ring for special occasions" kind if person. If your e-ring is more of an everyday ring, and you are also a bling person, you may have other blingier statement rings that you pull out when the occasion calls. This could also be the case if you are a sentimental non-upgrader

The e-ring doesn't have to be your "wow" piece. It can be symbolic or sentimental (or even practical :razz:), bc I would say that the e-ring, more than other piece of jewelry, is about what it means rather than the ring itself.

Not to say that I disparage sparklebomb door knockers. They are also great :D

Last edited:

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. My engagement ring is my most expensive piece but I didn’t buy it at one time. It took a few upgrades to get to this.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
By so far....

I have a number of nice pieces, but my e-ring bumps them all by a factor of 3. Actually, 4, now that I think of it. Even my Ascendency 4.6 ctw platinum clusters and my 4.6 ctw yellow gold drops (yes, I know - what is it about me and 4.6 ctw earrings, right?!) didn't cost me more than about a quarter of what my e-ring cost. And all the stones in those earrings are colorless and VS quality or better.

I won't ever own a more expensive piece, nor do I want to. This ring represents the limits of sanity for my life. But the sparkle...oh, the sparkle...!! :mrgreen:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, my engagement ring by far.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It makes sense to me that since most women always wear their ering, that they’d want to put the biggest investment of time and money into the thing they wear everyday. In my case is just happens that the concept I have for an ering doesn’t lend itself to being very expensive.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My current e-ring is by far the most expensive piece of jewelry I own. I still look at the much smaller ring my husband proposed with and get butterflies though.

My first house was less expensive than my current e-ring. That does sound ridiculous, even to me, but that was a long time ago and the house was bought in a buyer's market and it was an inexpensive house even for that era. (what I wouldn't give to have that house back (esp that mortgage payment) so I could buy more bling :lol:)

Edit: just saw @missy's suggestion to add photos. Will do!
IMG_2678.jpg

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, if we are considering replacement value, then that would me my pendant with my mom's diamond in it.
2010-5-4%20025.jpg
2012-06-05_13.jpg
If we are considering what I actually spent to set it, then yes, that would be my most expensive, only because that happened about 8 years ago, in comparison to the necklace, which was closer to 25 years ago.

I take that back, actually, my eternity band above with my solitiare, or my moissanite band, was probably more expensive than the solitaire setting. But, it still would be more expensive to replace mom's diamond. (I know it looks huge in that picture, it's 1.05ct vs. .67ct)

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, because my husband has an ego. LOL. My last engagement ring was 3.75ct, and its replacement was a 4ct. My husband "HAD" to beat it at 4.08ct and increase the color/clarity because ego.

I kinda laughed about it before, but now as I'm itching and bugging for an upgrade, I asked why his ego didn't increase it to a 5 ;-)

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, by far. I only really own fashion pieces except my previous wedding set. And by PS standards it's inexpensive.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_20180311_171231.jpg

Yes - my pear cut (avatar pic) is definitely the most expensive piece of jewellery I have, followed in joint 2nd place by my full eternity & my Great Aunt’s pearl & OEC ring from around 1900. They are insured for the same amount. The pearl is natural & whole, the setting original (but very delicate) & the halo of diamonds are colourless, with only one visible inclusion in one diamond with a x30 loupe. One day Caysie will remake it for me, but currently I will hang onto that original setting for as long as it is wearable.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
I think we-ring is most expensive. I know about what DH spent on that.
But gifts after that, I don’t know what they cost. I got a 5 stone for fifth anniversary. I would guess .30-.35 stones? Maybe G color? But cut is fab and it is platinum. Also got platinum ear wires with diamonds and different pearl drops.

He works with jeweler and I don’t ask questions. I know he buys high quality and I am always pleased. Some things are better left unknown-lol.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not anymore. For years, yes. By far. Now I have cocktail rings and some pearl strands that cost more. My e-ring is pretty modest, but it's what we could afford at the time. DH is also sentimental, so upgrading is a bit of a challenging topic.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not anymore. For years, yes. By far. Now I have cocktail rings and some pearl strands that cost more. My e-ring is pretty modest, but it's what we could afford at the time. DH is also sentimental, so upgrading is a bit of a challenging topic.

Sounds like a great excuse to get a killer diamond rhr :)

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, my ering is my most expensive piece of jewelry.

secretagentlaura

Shiny_Rock
Premium
No, my most spendy piece is actually a tie b/w my wristwatch and my ACA halo that was supposed to be my RHR ...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results