shape
carat
color
clarity

Is your e-ring your most significant piece?

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I'm curious if your engagement ring is the most significant (financially valuable) jewelry piece you have?
My wedding band, never bought my own/our own engagement ring, is not my most significant piece....not surprisingly, not even the most significant piece my husband has bought for me.
I'm wondering, however, if this is uncommon? I hear/read much more about upgrading e-rings rather than outright additional ring, or RHR, purchases and I'm wondering if individuals or couples consciously decide the e-ring should be the most significant piece of jewelry?
And maybe this is an age/stage-of-life thing? (Meaning the e-ring is of primary consideration to the relatively newly married?)

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is for me right now. Not because of some mutual decision we made, but because I realized that while I love RHRs, I don't wear them that often. So it's my primary piece of jewelry, and I want to make it my best piece too. Plus, I have my favorite OMC earrings (they were close in price to the ering... at least the ering I have right now :Up_to_something: ). I adore them and never want to wear anything else. So it made sense to spend so much $$ on them.

I suppose if DH & I were sentimental about the ering (we are not), I would eventually get a more expensive secondary ring, as we got older and our budgets grew.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My most expensive ring is a coloured stone RHR. Although I have upgraded my E ring and a few other diamond RHRs a few times, the replacement cost of my Mahenge spinel shot up through the roof and surpassed the rest by a huge margin.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Harpertoo|1363619573|3407784 said:
I'm curious if your engagement ring is the most significant (financially valuable) jewelry piece you have?
Yep, I'd say it is. The stone anyway. We only paid a small percentage for this band compared to that.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
My new upgraded ering (venice + her new setting) will be up closer to my most expensive piece. I still have 1 bracelet (pictured in my profile) that is just a bit over. Had I not upgraded my ering then I have a few pieces more expensive or around the same $$$ amount.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
No, I have an F/G diamond tennis necklace, diamond bracelets with J stones that must be about 15 tcw. They all cost more than my e-ring(s).

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for responding!
I figured/hoped there would be a range. My SIL intimated that the e-ring or left hand/wedding collection should be the most significant. Like it was a bit of unwritten marriage jewelry etiquette. Maybe she's just attempting to enforce her opinion.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Harpertoo|1363623960|3407826 said:
I figured/hoped there would be a range. My SIL intimated that the e-ring or left hand/wedding collection should be the most significant. Like it was a bit of unwritten marriage jewelry etiquette. Maybe she's just attempting to enforce her opinion.

That doesn't really make sense... especially considering the traditional (mainstream) view that your engagement ring is special for ever and ever. What if you got married young and your ering isn't all that expensive? Are you bound to wear cheaper jewelery for the rest of your life, if you don't want to upgrade an ering you're attached to? That said, I'm all up for upgrades! :rodent:

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
GemFever|1363624216|3407830 said:
Harpertoo|1363623960|3407826 said:

That doesn't really make sense... especially considering the traditional (mainstream) view that your engagement ring is special for ever and ever. What if you got married young and your ering isn't all that expensive? Are you bound to wear cheaper jewelery for the rest of your life, if you don't want to upgrade an ering you're attached to? That said, I'm all up for upgrades! :rodent:

I don't know. I guess if you live in a world of upgrades, maybe it makes sense. I guess she might be sentimental about the primacy of her e-ring. :lol:

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Right now my e-ring is the most financially (and emotionally!) significant piece in my collection.

But that's because I don't really own anything else that's worth more than a few hundred dollars. I suspect at some point down the road that will change (lots and lots of big birthdays and anniversaries in my future, afterall!) and I'm looking forward to that! But right now, at 28, I'm perfectly happy with my collection and the cost of my pieces.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I think the Aurora semi-eternity and my engagement ring are on a similar level for replacement cost. The engagement ring cost a lot more because it was bought new and not second-hand like the Aurora.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I started my marriage as a poor college student with a less than $100 diamond chip ring and would be disappointed if all my other jewellery cannot be worth more than that.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My engagement ring is not my most expensive nor largest piece. I've happily been through 4 sets of diamond earrings with my current ones being the most expensive item I've ever owed and the biggest. They are about 0.85 each OEC's that I purchased and had set into custom settings myself. My DH had nothing to do with them or any of the previous 3 pairs.

DH has only bought me a few pieces and they tend to be less expensive. I have a silver bangle, white gold gypsy style hoops, and pearl earrings that the Stepford wives would envy, from him in addition to my engagement ring. My wedding band, which I purchased myself, was nearly the same price as my engagement ring, and all other purchases have been down to me.

I always feared spending above what my engagement ring cost (1/2 carat in 14k bought 2nd hand in 2004 so you can play guess the price) so kept spending just under it and have a few nice items in that range. Not any more - my earrings kick arse! Love them! I've managed to double the carat weight every time and hope that in another few years I can do it again!

I don't see my engagement ring being upgraded. That's a very American thing and having married a Brit whose peer group now all has about the same size diamonds I don't think it'll ever happen. The rest of my body, especially my ears, should not suffer because of our financial situation nearly 9 years ago!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My ering is about double the price of my RHR, but that's because we bought it first and had way less money "left over" for the RHR. It's not out of sentimentality or anything. That doesn't factor in for me...

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
My e ring is not my most expensive and really not my most Sentimental.
The Ering has been replaced because of theft so it has no emotional attachment, although I am very happy to have it back.
My most sentimental significant piece is the double diamond in my avatar. It was my grandmas, given to me by my mom on my 40th birthday. My grandpa earned the diamonds as exchange/ barter for designing and sewing debutante outfits the daughters of several members of NY high society in the 30-40's. There is a third diamond a 3 ct that my cousin has.
The stones have never been certed, considering their lineage. But they have been informally appraised at 7.4mm and 8.2mm. I color at si2 .
I would love to make a three stone but would need to save all the baguettes and smaller stones for something or put in two sapphires!
I also have a double strand of 7mm 32" mikimoto pearls that are pretty significant!!!

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
chrono said:
I started my marriage as a poor college student with a less than $100 diamond chip ring and would be disappointed if all my other jewellery cannot be worth more than that.
WORD! I had graduated and DH had a real job, so we went crazy and spent 1500!!!
That's one reason I'm so amazed at the engagement bling budgets on this forum.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
My ering is my most significant piece sentimental wise. My 3 stone ring is probably worth more, but hard to say since I bought non retail - so no cert or anything.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Elisateach|1363630117|3407912 said:
chrono said:
WORD! I had graduated and DH had a real job, so we went crazy and spent 1500!!!
That's one reason I'm so amazed at the engagement bling budgets on this forum.

hahaha I was thinking the same thing. I graduated before my DH but was significantly in debt. I didn't have 2 dimes to rub together. DH spent about 2k on my ering only a week after he graduated. I kept telling him forget the ring- give me the 2k to pay off college loans and I will still say yes!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i'll let you know when/if my wife buys me an Ering... :bigsmile:

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
Elisateach|1363629977|3407910 said:
My e ring is not my most expensive and really not my most Sentimental.
The Ering has been replaced because of theft so it has no emotional attachment, although I am very happy to have it back.
My most sentimental significant piece is the double diamond in my avatar. It was my grandmas, given to me by my mom on my 40th birthday. My grandpa earned the diamonds as exchange/ barter for designing and sewing debutante outfits the daughters of several members of NY high society in the 30-40's. There is a third diamond a 3 ct that my cousin has.
The stones have never been certed, considering their lineage. But they have been informally appraised at 7.4mm and 8.2mm. I color at si2 .
I would love to make a three stone but would need to save all the baguettes and smaller stones for something or put in two sapphires!
I also have a double strand of 7mm 32" mikimoto pearls that are pretty significant!!!

Love the story of your family ring Elisateach!
I'm sentimental about a ring from my grandmother as well. The story became a bit convoluted over time, but similar to yours, my grandfather, a physician, rec'd some or all of the diamonds during the depression in lieu of cash. The story became convoluted because he also owned a jewelry store. The family joke was that investment was simply so my grandfather could get a discount on gifts for my grandmother....she was 19 years his junior, and quite demanding.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
Dancing Fire|1363631193|3407934 said:

You didn't receive the obligatory e-watch?!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Harpertoo|1363632037|3407942 said:
Dancing Fire|1363631193|3407934 said:

You didn't receive the obligatory e-watch?!
no,but i'll take a belated one... :bigsmile: however, she did gifted me a Rolex for my 18th birthday.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
Sarahbear621|1363621875|3407804 said:
My new upgraded ering (venice + her new setting) will be up closer to my most expensive piece. I still have 1 bracelet (pictured in my profile) that is just a bit over. Had I not upgraded my ering then I have a few pieces more expensive or around the same $$$ amount.

It never registered for me that your profile pic is a bracelet!
Very pretty!
(my brain just interpreted it as a ring.)

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Harpertoo|1363619573|3407784 said:
My wedding band, never bought my own/our own engagement ring, is not my most significant piece....not surprisingly, not even the most significant piece my husband has bought for me.
I'm wondering, however, if this is uncommon? I hear/read much more about upgrading e-rings rather than outright additional ring, or RHR, purchases and I'm wondering if individuals or couples consciously decide the e-ring should be the most significant piece of jewelry?
And maybe this is an age/stage-of-life thing? (Meaning the e-ring is of primary consideration to the relatively newly married?)

Yes, it is, and it probably will stay that way because really don't see myself ever buying a more expensive piece of jewelry.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I only have a single sentimental piece really. But the question I thought was asked related to financial value, so that's why I say yes.

I guess if you count the pieces I inherited from my husband's family recently that I need to have checked out for insurance those would be sentimental too.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My current ering is my most expensive piece of jewerly...my original ering only cost about $120 and I took it apart and made a new ring out of it..kinda of regret that now..but its water under the bridge...

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
My e-ring was purchased when my husband and I were very young and just at the beginning of our careers. But it is the one piece I will never part with or change in any way.

Through the years I have received more expensive pieces to commemorate milestones. But if there was ever a fire and I could only grab one piece of jewelry, my original e-ring would be it. For me it is irreplacable.

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
Sentimental wise, it is the most significant piece I have and suspect that will never change. Financially, at this point it's the most significant piece but that's because we're still at a point in life where shiny things have to take a back seat to more practical investments like dependable family cars, etc. At some point I'm sure that will change and that will be fun/exciting, but for now I'm quite happy with things the way they are. :))

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
ame|1363634968|3407985 said:
I only have a single sentimental piece really. But the question I thought was asked related to financial value, so that's why I say yes.

I guess if you count the pieces I inherited from my husband's family recently that I need to have checked out for insurance those would be sentimental too.

You're right, I was referring to financial value. I was getting off topic talking about sentimental value myself.
I should say I have fond associations to certain pieces but I realized at some point I have a particular affection for the nicer ones....funny how that works. Guess it's not purely sentimental on my part. :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, my ER is not my most expensive piece of jewelry. But it's now my favorite thanks to my dh wanting me to get my dream ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results