shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this Tiffany Gold Infinity Ring Real?

Justin123560

Rough_Rock
A little about me I'm a motorcycle mechanic ( I fix/maintain Ducati) and I don't know jack squat about jewelry.

Long story short a client couldn't afford the remaining cost of my labor so he suggested he would give me a gold ring to make up for the balance. I've never done this before but I'm a nice guy and I like to help people out. Well now I'm a bit worried what he gave me is a fake. Like I said, I don't know anything about jewelry.

I would appreciate the help.

The engraving inside does have a copyright "C" followed by T&Co. AU750

Also posted the bag that he also have me.

_19089.jpg

_19090.jpg

_19093.jpg

_19094.jpg

Justin123560

Rough_Rock
One more pic of the bag

_19095.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Justin,
I've heard that there are many Tiffany knockoffs out there, which many include the bag in the transaction. I would also want to see the original receipt and take a closer look at the hallmark. I'll try to get the right PSers to come take a look at this too. There are several who know the Tiffany hallmarks inside out.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks genuine to me. You might want to try TPF's "Authenticate This!" forum, there are people there who specialize in Tiffany jewelry.

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
I'm voting fake actually. To me, the print on the bag is slightly wonky, authentic Tiffany packaging is as perfect as their jewellery.

Also, the packaging seems slightly too green, rather than true Tiffany blue. IMO, the counterfeiters get it nearly right, they just don't get quite the right hue.

I'm just basing this on a lot of fake Tiffany packaging that I've seen, I'm not familiar with the piece itself.

I do know Tiffany jewellery is probably the most faked designer item on the planet. I wouldn't even buy 'used' Tiffany unless it came with the original receipt, and even then I'd hesitate.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The easiest way to check is to look at the hallmark more closely. Can you take a close up photo please?

In the meantime, let's look at the packaging. One of the giveaways between fake and authentic is the packaging it comes in. So if we look at the size of the pouch bag. With Tiffany's the measurements are:-

~ The most common size is medium 4 1/2"
~ The small size is 3 1/2"
~ The smallest size is 2 1/2"

These sizes vary by no more than 1/8" due to the seam allowance.

Look inside the pouch - is it blue all over? If it has any white, it's a fake. If blue, we need to continue examining it.

The size from the top of the drawstring stitching to the top of the bag is authentic bags is 1/2". With fakes it can be less.

Fake pouches are made from a low pile velvet material but the authentic pouch has pile that gives different light and shades to it.

Now look at the where the name has been stamped. Does it feel like proper embossing (authentic) or does it feel the same height as the rest of the pouch - like it's been stamped on (fake)?

The most important clue is the stitching on the inside of the bag. Pay close attention to that (see photos below for comparison).

Also look at the paper bag. The holes are punched two far to the edge of the bag. Tiffany bags typically have whole punched into line or closer than the start and end of the embossed name. (The photo below should real bags).

So at the moment, I would say that I would be leaning towards fake (if the packaging is fake then the ring probably is too) but I'd like to see the hallmark more closely.

tiffany_bags.jpg

tiffany_bags1.jpg

tiffany_bags2_real.jpg

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Wow- awesome pics and advice, LD. :appl: :appl: :appl:

Justin123560

Rough_Rock
More pics. Also LD those bags have two different hole points for the string ? Where are the bags made is there some indication in the bag itself?

_19271.jpg

_19272.jpg

_19273.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO the pouch is a fake. Can you see the rough finishing off of the fabric just below the drawstring on the inside? An authentic is not like that. It has a single row of stitching with the "raw" edge tucked under so it appears to be straight and flat. Also the edge of your pouch has been overlocked. On the authentic ones I'm pretty sure it looks like a single line of stitching (similar to how it looks on the outside by the drawstring. Also, I'm not sure what that extra piece is on the inside of the pouch as well. That's not what you would expect to see.

I've got to go out but will look at the logo later. I've not seen one with the AU before. It could indicate it was sold in Australia but that's a complete guess. I need to do some research.

I'm afraid though, the bags are not looking good. :(sad

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A real quickie before I go out. I can't find a Tiffany hallmark with AU on it. However, the 750 is commonly used in Europe to denote 18k jewellery so the AU might represent Australia OR AU is the chemical symbol for gold! I'd be surprised if Tiffany would put that on their hallmark though. One thing I'm wondering about though is that I think the hallmark should be on the inside of the infinity link (rather than on the shank). The infinity ring (which is what this is called) you can buy for new in 18k gold for £490 which is around $650. However on the second hand market you should halve that (IF it's a genuine Tiffany). I have my doubts but can't be sure.

Hopefully others will be able to help later.

Justin123560

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help everyone. Keep 'em coming. I'll be taking it to a jeweler on Friday to have it chemical tested.
As far as the AU goes. I don't believe it means Australia. It is the chemical gold symbol. For the bags eh.. I figured but that's not where the money is as far as I'm concerned

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pouch that Tiffany gave me does look like the one Justin posted.

My 18K Tiffany ring is stamped AU750 inside the shank.

I'm posting my sales receipt with my name/address and price information covered by the folder containing all of the paperwork that was sent to me 2 weeks after purchase.

tiffany_resized.jpg

katharath

Ideal_Rock
People buy and sell counterfeit tiffany bags online, so don't go based solely off of that. You could have a genuine ring with a fake bag (I can imagine scenarios where that could happen, anyway).

I've owned a fair amount of Tiffany gold, not a lot, say 6 pieces or so? I actually think the ring looks real. I've never seen that piece in person though, so take that for what it's worth. In my personal experience in searching eBay, and going to market type places , etc - I've seen far more of a problem with fake tiffany silver. I personally think it's much more prevalent than fake tiffany gold pieces. Just an additional thought.

Sorry if I've been no help! But there's my .2 for what it's worth :)

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD|1403105500|3695735 said:
IMHO the pouch is a fake. Can you see the rough finishing off of the fabric just below the drawstring on the inside? An authentic is not like that. It has a single row of stitching with the "raw" edge tucked under so it appears to be straight and flat. Also the edge of your pouch has been overlocked. On the authentic ones I'm pretty sure it looks like a single line of stitching (similar to how it looks on the outside by the drawstring. Also, I'm not sure what that extra piece is on the inside of the pouch as well. That's not what you would expect to see.

I've got to go out but will look at the logo later. I've not seen one with the AU before. It could indicate it was sold in Australia but that's a complete guess. I need to do some research.

I disagree. My authentic Tiffany pouch looks just like the one Justin posted. It has a raw edge on the inside that is not tucked in. My pouch is also overlocked. Since I purchased my Tiffany Fancy Yellow diamond in March, perhaps this is the new design? The "extra" piece is a divider so that you can put two rings in it without them touching each other. It is also exactly 3.75" and not 3.5".

Justin123560

Rough_Rock
cflutist|1403109139|3695782 said:
LD|1403105500|3695735 said:

I disagree. My authentic Tiffany pouch looks just like the one Justin posted. It has a raw edge on the inside that is not tucked in. My pouch is also overlocked. Since I purchased my Tiffany Fancy Yellow diamond in March, perhaps this is the new design? The "extra" piece is a divider so that you can put two rings in it without them touching each other. It is also exactly 3.75" and not 3.5".

I really appreciate you posting your personal pictures of your item. A lot of pictures that I am comparing it to are from years ago so it may be an old design. If you could post more pics of your ring. I'd really appreciate it. Thank you again.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well then it sounds like there could be hope Justin. I don't doubt it's gold btw - the problem is getting it authenticated. I believe only Tiffany can do that and I seem to recall that they won't assess a piece unless it's with the original owner??? I'm not sure why. I don't know how you would get this authenticated but perhaps somebody else can help.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
The ring looks very well made. Some of the Tiffany fakes I have seen look really rough at the transition points of the piece, but this looks perfect where the infinity attaches to the shank.

Justin123560

Rough_Rock
pregcurious|1403151086|3696315 said:
The ring looks very well made. Some of the Tiffany fakes I have seen look really rough at the transition points of the piece, but this looks perfect where the infinity attaches to the shank.

The transition points are flawless as far as I can tell.

_19320.jpg

_19321.jpg

_19322.jpg

_19323.jpg

orangesocks

Rough_Rock
My vote is real. Best of luck, sir!

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
my only concern is the somewhat sloppy stamping of the AU 750. Is it just the pictures or does the A seem to be slightly lower and smaller than the U and a bit too distant?

When TandCo mark their platinum stuff the PT950 is tight and even.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Cflutist, can you comment on the stamp on Justin's piece? Does it look like the stamp on yours?

Justin, you could also go to Tiffany and look at a real one. I think that will answer any concerns you have.

My vote is real. I wish Tiffany would authenticate their pieces! I think it's bad for their brand that they no longer do this.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1403274146|3697218 said:
Cflutist, can you comment on the stamp on Justin's piece? Does it look like the stamp on yours?

Justin, you could also go to Tiffany and look at a real one. I think that will answer any concerns you have.

My vote is real. I wish Tiffany would authenticate their pieces! I think it's bad for their brand that they no longer do this.

I called Tiffany and they said sometimes they use the Tiffany & Co. (e.g. on rings with stones) and other times T & Co.
The distortion from the camera lens makes it look crooked, but I assure you, it is straight.

The serial number of the ring along with .80CT (the Fancy yellow diamond) is on the other side of the shank.
The serial number of the diamond is lasered on a star facet visible under 30x. I called and asked why not on the girdle
like GIA and AGS do. They transferred me to a manager who didn't know the answer either.
Both serial numbers match the Tiffany Lab Report.

sm_tiffany_yellow_diamond_04.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Davi was right on about the AU 750.

Justin, can you go to a store?

Justin123560

Rough_Rock
Went to get it acid tested at a reputable jeweler and it does check out as 18k gold. Went to the Tiffany Store and looked at the display ring. They look the same. Even the Hallmarks

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Justin123560|1403297690|3697478 said:
Went to get it acid tested at a reputable jeweler and it does check out as 18k gold. Went to the Tiffany Store and looked at the display ring. They look the same. Even the Hallmarks

Yay !!! Wonderful news. So happy for you.

So the lesson I learned from this, is that photos CAN sometimes lie.

That is why jewelers loupes are triplets, they correct for spherical and chromatic abberations.

Justin123560

Rough_Rock
Yes a relief indeed. The client who traded this ring for my service only owed me $200 and I saw this retail for over $600+tax.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Great! I think it's a very pretty ring.

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
I hope his wife/girlfriend knew her ring was being used to settle a debt.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
NonieMarie|1404248975|3704727 said:
I hope his wife/girlfriend knew her ring was being used to settle a debt.

I didn't see where the OP ever posted their intentions with this ring, if they were keeping it or giving it to a wife or girlfriend. I couldn't even see a mention of the OP having a wife or girlfriend.

I'm also not sure why it'd matter anyhow. The two people involved reached an agreement that worked for them by bartering goods for services. We all do it, perhaps not to blatantly as on this occasion in modern times. I don't see the difference in the OP taking the $200 he was owed and immediately heading out to buy a gold ring. Bartering has been around for a long time and it worked for them!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results