shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this THE ONE? Jumping on the chunky cushion bandwagon!

Melanie611

Shiny_Rock
I've been searching forever for a fat chunky well cut oval, but they're so hard to find. Cushions seem be gaining in popularity and are more available (Is it a trend like the marquise in the 80s?). But I do love them too! So what do you guys think of this one? I don't know if the prominent maltese cross will bother me though.

p1020246.jpg

49317a_1_0.jpg

Reactions: AV_

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Is this THE ONE? Jumping on the chunky cushion bandwagon

It's lovely. There's a good return policy. Have it sent to you and see what you think of it in person.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

I agree, it looks great. =) Like you, after seeing photos of a chunky cushions with the maltese cross, I thought that it would bother me, but after having had an opportunity to play with on, my opinion changed and it's much less obvious IRL. I think it's a photography issue, because once the stone is on your hand and moving continuously it really is much less evident. I've wondered the same thing about AVRs, visually the little bubbles around the table are unappealing to me, but when owners post photos of their own or in videos, the bubbles seem to disappear. Cant wait to hear what you think of the stone. =)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Cushions have been popular on PS for about 5 years now, so I think its not really a "fad" per se. That looks like a nice example of the cut. Looks like a modern cut, antique style, is it?

The maltese cross is basically an area with fewer larger facets, reminds me of the optics of a setp cut a little in person, less small flash and more bold flash. You won't know what you think until you see it.

Melanie611

Shiny_Rock

Gypsy, thanks for the advice. They have a 30 day return I think.

Christina, I know exactly what you mean about the bubbles! It bothers me too! But I know the photos are super enlarged so it highlights it more. This one doesn't seem to show it as much.

Dreamer_D, I'm hoping the maltese cross isn't too prominent and dark. If it's dark, does that mean it wasn't well cut?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

It wont be dark, I can tell from those images and from the ASET. Don't worry. Is it a branded cut from ERD? Those have great under table optics from what I have seen in videos and customer feedback.

DominaMusica

Rough_Rock

I think it's absolutely beautiful. I'll bet it's even better in person. How would you set it?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What do I think? I seriously :love: it! It's very bright and pleasing to the eye.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock

I think its gorgeous! I don't really think the maltese cross even appears to be all that prominent in that stone...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gorgeous! :love: I adore antique style cushions and especially ones like this with the maltese cross design.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock

Looks like a great chunky cushion to me...nice aset!

Melanie611

Shiny_Rock

Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to order it so I can at least see it in person.

Dreamer_D, yes it is an ERD. Mark's been great about answering all my questions!

http://www.engagementringsdirect.co...cut-beyond-cushion-cut-diamond-gid-91803.html

DominaMusica, I'm really leaning toward this edwardian setting with a pave shank, no halo. I've loved this one for the longest time, especially the basket: http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/10-1-4540. I even considered going with an emerald cut, but I just don't think I'm a step cut girl. Need more sparkle ;-)

Stargurl, in this picture, the maltese isn't as obvious. But it looks more prominent with the black background on the website. I'm wondering if it's because of the shallower depth (only 61.1%)??? Is that too shallow? Most cushions I see are in the upper 60s for depth. I love the extra spread, but don't know how much it affects light return. Crossing fingers that the maltese isn't dark IRL :D

Otherwise, the diamond meets most of my criteria:
- The E color (I prefer the icy white D-E).
- VS1 (I could have gone down to eyeclean SI1, but I guess we pick our battles)
- More rounded shape (I've had this diamond bookmarked for the longest time as my ideal. I wonder if a fellow PSer bought it http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/8190/)
- No super obvious 'bubbles' as Christina mentioned
- At least VG in symmetry
- I also like the small culet of this one

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results