shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this stud/pendant combination too much for an office setting?

throughthemist

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone! I hope everyone is doing well today!!! I would really love your input and thoughts on this :)

I recently had a career milestone so I finally took the plunge and purchased solitaire studs and a semi-matching pendant. The problem is I started off thinking I wanted a smaller, daintier size but when I got the actual items, they felt very underwhelming. I really wanted to love them, but they had no presence whatsoever. I returned them and I've been in the process of ordering different sizes. Every time I've gotten my order, my immediate reaction was "oh these are nice, but very small." The smaller, daintier styles look absolutely amazing on the models but doesn't seem to work for me.

After some experimenting, I fell in love with these!
They are a little under 1 carats on each ear (about 6.4mm each). The pendant is 1.28 ct (about 7mm). As soon as I tried them on, I was instantly thrilled and very happy!

Now that the initial excitement has worn down a little, I'm wondering if these are too big for a conservative office setting. I definitely want my diamonds to have presence like these do, but I also don't want them to draw too much attention. My mom also told me they look tacky because they look too big to be "real", so I'm feeling a bit self conscious about that. Are these earrings too much bling?? Or are they OK enough for everyday wear?

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• big fr.png
    big fr.png
    294 KB · Views: 192

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think they look great and not "tacky" at all. I work in a fairly conservative office and wear approx. 2ctw solitaire studs every day (approx. 1ct/6.25mm in each ear) and I don't feel they draw too much attention. And I'll probably be looking to add a solitaire pendant similar in size to yours as well (between 1.25-1.5 ct), so I might be biased :lol:. But if you are feeling self conscious at the office, maybe don't wear them together there. Instead pair the pendant with simple hoops and the earring with a non-diamond necklace. Honestly I don't think most people pay that much attention and if you love them, keep them!

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly I don't think most people pay that much attention and if you love them, keep them!
This. I've had two male coworkers say something about my diamonds over the couple months. I've been wearing the same thing for over a year. Most people don't pay attention to diamonds unless they happen to catch the light just right.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was in engineering engineering, now in sales engineering.
Recently wore a diamond hair pin - and my usual earrings and rings - to a five-person meeting with a three star general.
Noone notices or cares about our jewellery!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think we have to remember, we're talking about 3 x 7mm or less dots, spread over the surface area of a whole human body. Tiny little things. It always makes me chuckle when ladies who have agonized over an upgrade come back to PS and say "But nobody even NOTICED!!" The difference between 7mm and 7.5mm (for instance) is well beyond the interest level of most people. If my non diamond collecting friends had any idea how much time I spent agonizing over diamonds, they'd think I was - not so much 'nuts' - as 'stupid'. They'd probably be right, too.

Wear your sparklies and enjoy them, @throughthemist; they're not on anyone else's radar.

ETA As for 'tacky', the comment seems a little mean spirited. I'm sure your mother is the nicest woman on earth, but even if they were faux, simulants, synthetics, white topazes, quartz, or any other number of things - why does that necessarily make them tacky? They're clearly very nicely set, and it tends to be the setting that makes a piece look unattractive or not.

And just to add - you have stunning hair! Lucky you. :)

Last edited:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they’re fine.

My rule for real jewelry is this: would people commonly be wearing CZ jewelry of this size in this environment? If so, it’s fine. Nobody but you knows it is real and not fake unless you tell them. And many, many people wear 1 ct equivalent CZ studs daily.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was in engineering engineering, now in sales engineering.
Recently wore a diamond hair pin - and my usual earrings and rings - to a five-person meeting with a three star general.
Noone notices or cares about our jewellery!

Yes dear, but that's you. You could carry off a tiara and nobody would bat an eyelid! As I said above - I totally agree with you; most people never notice the jewelry we wear. Your 11ctw+ ensemble would tend to draw the eye, tho.

To which I say - rock it, rocket girl! :wavey:

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
I think your earring and pendant look lovely on you and totally appropriate for the office. Very tasteful and not at all gaudy!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Not at all! Studs and soli pendants are such a classic and a simple, clean look. I love them but most people do not even notice them.

One day I wore studs out shopping and the lady at my usual pharmacy asked where my nice earrings were. I said well I am wearing studs, but even though the studs are worth much more Than the melee set dangles, far less people notice them and mine are bigger Than the norm around here.

My mom recently comments on me looking tacky. I hate that. I think it has to do with aging and losing beauty. No matter what I do my makeup, my clothes, she has to find something she can comment on. She adds every time that I attract the wrong type of guys looking this way. It makes it sound like I dress like a whore and I never have in my life. I do however love sophistication and nice dresses. What she forgets is that when she was my age she wore much more makeup and done up hair than I do.

My solution is that I try to look a bit more nude with less of everything around my parents. But I firmly believe in doing and wearing what makes you feel good. Always be yourself. I will still look nice around my parents, I do not want to provoke but if there is a negative comment I just say that oh really interesting, I got three compliments today, which is usually true.

I am all for you keeping this set that makes you feel happy. You totally should.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Your earrings and pendant are classic and tasteful. They would be appropriate for the offices I've worked in. Plus, as everyone has already said, we wear things to please ourselves.

My only concern for any of us with our diamonds is that we are careful about our safety when we put ourselves in uncertain surroundings. I flip my e-ring around when I get in an Uber for example. I don't have a diamond pendant necklace of any value, like the lovely one you have, but if I did, I'd tuck it in my shirt when hopping on the metro or in an Uber, etc.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they are lovely on you and appropriate for an office setting. I hope you wear and enjoy them!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they are fine. They don't appear "huge" so I don't think they look inappropriate at all for an office. My diamond studs are about the same size, maybe a tad smaller, and I've never thought that they might be too large for my office. I agree with the others that you should wear them and enjoy them and the studs and pendant together are fine as well. They are classic and perfect.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are beautiful and tasteful - not a problem for an office. I think they look fabulous on you. I think we are far more conscious of what we are wearing than others are!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Proportionally, they look perfect. I like the idea of breaking them up, as mentioned above, wearing the earrings with a strand of pearls maybe, and the pendant with casual hoops? But no matter what, they’re lovely and after all your hard work, you’ve earned them!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO, they are classic, very beautiful and tasteful.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I don’t know where you live... I’m in Southern California, and by those “standards”, your sizes are small lol! Seriously, though, I do not think your pieces are too large, nor pretentious, nor tacky (but, again, I’m from So Cal, “Land of the Kardashians”!).

Redwoods-hiker-girl

Brilliant_Rock
They are beautiful, throughthemist. Enjoy!

Q

Queenie60

Very appropriate and classic. Enjoy wearing them.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are classic elegant and not too big or flashy or small for that matter, the perfect size to wear to work.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i never really get 'tacky'
or for that matter 'classy'

classic i get !
and diamonds equal classic

ive never worked in an office and have never worn much jewlwey to work incase it gets lost or caught
i did once have domeone say "that's a nice earing - where is the other one ?" :(2 (i must have lost it on the way to work

so not wearing much jewlery was for my own piece of mind - zero to do with my co workers - and the nature of having a more physical job

do that you want
Diamond studs are so inoffensive

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP they look wonderful on you.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
New diamonds in a larger size are usually an adjustment, and I understand being sensitive to size norms in a person's own location. I upgraded my studs a few times, too, and ended with 7mm, 1.28 cts each. It took be time to be sure how large I could go! I also like the pendant somewhat larger than the studs. I actually think your sizes are perfect and not over the top at all. But I also 100% agree with @yssie, most people seriously don't notice or care.

Enjoy your gorgeous new pieces!

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I think they are in perfect proportion to your ears and neckline. My great aunt used to refer to those as "daytime diamonds." Anything without embellishment qualified. They would look in place just about anywhere.

I wore my ER, which I don't think is terribly small by any standards, PS or otherwise, in my old office for 6 months. One male co-worker was shocked, SHOCKED I say to learn I was actually getting married, I asked what he thought the ring was and he said, "well haven't you always worn that?" Another one commented, after a female colleague was admiring it, "Oh, that is an engagement ring? I thought you were married already?" Sigh...

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think they are in perfect proportion to your ears and neckline. My great aunt used to refer to those as "daytime diamonds." Anything without embellishment qualified. They would look in place just about anywhere.

I wore my ER, which I don't think is terribly small by any standards, PS or otherwise, in my old office for 6 months. One male co-worker was shocked, SHOCKED I say to learn I was actually getting married, I asked what he thought the ring was and he said, "well haven't you always worn that?" Another one commented, after a female colleague was admiring it, "Oh, that is an engagement ring? I thought you were married already?" Sigh...
i feel sad no one noticed you got engaged
i am 100% sure i would have noticed your ring and given you the opportunity to excitedly tell me all about it

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock

Most people won't notice. Those that do will assume they're fake. Or, as in CSpan's account, just find something thoughtless and stupid to say. Wear what makes you feel good. There's nothing tacky about those earrings, they look wonderful on you and who knows, maybe someday someone with good taste will say, 'What lovely earrings!"?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results