shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this setting original?

cacaobeanie

Rough_Rock
8059C0DF-2704-4404-BD0A-290843CFB525.jpeg

Hi, I bought this ring at auction today and was wondering if there’s any way to know if the setting is original or not? I love the look of it but there wasn’t much info in the description, other than ‘Art Deco diamond solitaire.’ Would there be any way to tell? Any advice is appreciated.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The setting looks like authentic art deco, based on the engraving and OEC accent stones. On the large diamond the prongs look worn down, which only happens after years of wear. It's gorgeous!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also adding to the authenticity, this diamond looks to be chipped in one corner, of course it could be a reflection but you would want to verify that and also budget for retipped prongs for the main stone and the smaller stones. Pancake prongs on the main diamond is common but not ideal.

IMG_3621.jpg

cacaobeanie

Rough_Rock
Thank you both. That’s good to know, I hadn’t even noticed about the prongs :oops: I haven’t seen it in person yet so it was a bit of a gamble, I’ll have you wait and see if that’s a chip although it wasn’t mentioned in the condition report. Am glad that it looks to be original though!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a very lovely setting. Please post more pictures when you get it - that wheat engraving underneath is intriguing and I’d love to see more of it

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The side diamonds, at least, look like Old European Cut stones, which supports the likelihood that this is truly a vintage setting. My first impression of the center stone is that it’s a transitional cut, which would mean it was cut sometime in or around the 1920’s - but it is hard to be certain from that photo.

cacaobeanie

Rough_Rock
I’ll definitely post more photos of the diamond and setting when I get it, which is likely to be next week. I know it’s hard to guess from one picture. I’m dying to see it in real life!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results