shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this set too high?

Ms65589

Rough_Rock
I personally think there's too much space between the cutlet and head.
It also "feels" too high when wearing. Can someone tell me what is normal or is it more preference?
Would you have it cut/re-set?
Screenshot_20191228-173316__01.jpg Screenshot_20191228-173233.jpg

voce

Ideal_Rock
I would not have it recut or reset. That is normal for a style that stacks with bands. If you're wearing it on its own without bands, you can set it low. This is a trade off between size, stacking, and how high you wear your gem. Unless the stone has sentimental value, you can probably buy a new stone set lower for less than the cost of a recut and reset.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me personally, yes its set too high. I'm also clumsy so there's that

But if you stack with bands as @voce mentioned, then you do want a ring that sits higher to accommodate.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think that is necessarily too high to be set - it leaves space for cleaning but not too much. However when combined with the style of ring, it definitely sticks out too far. I would be concerned that a hard hit would have the entire head coming off since it is only attached at one small place to the shank. A cathedral style or other style with the head more integrated with the shank would not feel too high, I suspect, even with the stone at the same height. But it would not be as stackable.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's lovely as it is, but that's just my personal preference. My solitaire is set very high (sits 8.5mm above my finger) but this was intentional as my original full eternity setting was bulky & thick. I didn't want claws chewing into each other. As it happens, I went on to completely reset the eternity due to structural issues, but am happy to leave my pear well alone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results