shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this price too good to be true?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jmlcards

Rough_Rock
This is my first time posting to this website but the information I have read has been extremely helpful. - Thank You All!

I was checking out the prices within Pricescope and came across a 1.41 carat VS1 H being sold through Union Diamond. The cost is only $7389 which seems extremely cheap compared to the other 1.41 carat diamonds. Does anyone see anything wrong with the diamond based on the GIA information provided. The Union Diamond website doesn''t show the GIA cert any more because I have a hold on the diamond so I attached a jpeg of it that I received.

It''s an ideal cut, with excellent Polish and Symetry ... what am I missing?

giadiamond_jmlcards.jpg

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Those proportions are borderline steep/deep, which can leak light and not perform as well as possible. The only way to know whether this is the case is to request an Idealscope image from UD, they are able to supply them. If you post that image here, the PS community will help you evaluate it. This page also has a good tutorial on reading IS images.

Pricing is the result of a multitude of factors, including when the rough was purchased, what cutting house, which wholesaler, etc.

jmlcards

Rough_Rock
Which number on the GIA certificate is the pavillion?
How can it be an ideal cut if it''s that steep? Or does Ideal cut not factor in the pavillion?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GIA ex is incorporates a range of crown/pavilion angles, some of which PS cut nuts by majority find to be actually less than ideal combinations. This particular one is called steep/deep, and may well leak light - you'll see this leakage under the table in the IS image.

The diamonds in the links I sent you above have complementary angles.

The tutorials under "Knowledge" at the top of the page are a good place to start.

To answer your Q:

RETapoeiura.jpg

jmlcards

Rough_Rock
The cut adviser on this website gave it a grade of "3.4 - Very Good - Worth buying if the price is right" so I guess the question is ... does this price make it worth buying?

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/13/2009 4:27:21 PM
Author: jmlcards
The cut adviser on this website gave it a grade of ''3.4 - Very Good - Worth buying if the price is right'' so I guess the question is ... does this price make it worth buying?
To me no diamond is worth buying if it doesn''t perform well, no matter the price. What HCA is doing is attempting to predict the performance of the stone based on a few numbers that give a wire frame outline. The general rule is to try and find a stone that scores under 2 and go from there. There are diamonds that score higher than 2 that are good performers, but the percentage of good ones in relation to the whole group in that score range is lower. If you can get an IS image that would tell whether this diamond is worth considering--though the odds are not in its favor. Alternatively, you can keep searching to find a diamond that scores under 2 on the HCA.

jmlcards

Rough_Rock
Jet and Yssie ... thanks for all of your help. Very very informative.
So my next question is, if I change the pavillion from 41.2 to 40.9, that changes the HCA to a 1.8. so how much difference is there really between a 41.2 and a 40.9?

tonyc2387

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/13/2009 5:08:03 PM

So my next question is, if I change the pavillion from 41.2 to 40.9, that changes the HCA to a 1.8. so how much difference is there really between a 41.2 and a 40.9?

It seems like nothing, right? I played this game a lot in my head... and sure, there''s no way you''d be able to tell the physical difference just by looking at the diamond itself. However, it strongly affects where the light gets reflected inside the diamond... out the top (ideal) or out the sides (leakage, not ideal). These performance differences are subtle, but definitely noticeable. IS will tell all...

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yap, IS will show if there is leakage or not. Union Diamond will do IS image on request, so just ask them. It is free anyway.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/13/2009 5:08:03 PM
Absolutely no way to tell without images.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results