shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this old?

Stll3

Rough_Rock
i recently bought this ring in an auction. It has a 1.10 ct centre stone of j colour with one inclusion that’s almost visible to the naked eye but you really have to look. Any idea how old this might be? I am going to have the ring reset so any suggestions of style would be welcome. 44F19BB2-D008-4C4D-B4C9-D26EB753BA59.jpeg

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks like an OEC - Old European Cut stone - does it have a high crown and wee table with what looks like a flower under the table when you look down at it? If it does, then it’s probably cut sometime around the turn of the 20th century. It looks pretty nice!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As @foxinsox says, it looks like an Old European cut. So the stone was cut before about 1910. The setting looks like 1910s-30s.
Don't you like the setting? It is a great antique piece. I'd keep it as-is.
Just my opinion!
You can certainly reset it, and maybe place a colored stone in the old setting.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful antique ring! I agree it looks like an OEC, and the color looks really white, can’t tell it’s a J. I also really like the setting, it is so seamless with the diamond and is most likely platinum.

Stll3

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys! I was hoping it was an OEC.

@foxinsox it does appear to have a small table and looking directly down into the centre you can see the culet as a dot. The height of the crown is hard to see in the setting though.

@stracci2000 I think the setting is lovely but we actually bought it to have it set as an engagement ring as I love antiques and anything that might have an interesting story. I would like to keep the setting though and do exactly that, put a coloured stone in it as I think it would look lovely. I’ll take some more photos in good daylight.

@peacechick you are right, I thought it looked whiter than a j but am not an expert by any means. In the setting it looks super white.

There are no hallmarks or anything on the ring. Not sure if that’s normal? It looks like the band has either been made smaller or completely changed. It’s tiny too, the previous owner must have had really small hands :angel:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s such a gorgeous setting! I think you got a lovely find there. How do you want to reset it?

Stll3

Rough_Rock
It really is lovely, just not what I wanted for an engagement ring. I’m going to find a coloured stone it replace it with so it doesn’t go to waste.
Ideally I want a 6 prong solitaire setting, I like simple. The inclusion is close to the edge of the stone so hoping the jeweller can set it nicely so it’s very hard to spot. I didn’t pay much for it so am super pleased with how nice it is as I hadn’t even seen it in the flesh. Sent my dad to bid for me as I was away
Is it worth getting it appraised?

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful ring and a great find! If you are going to reset the OEC, I would consider having the stone sent to GIA while it is unmounted. This way you will know for sure what it is!!! :mrgreen2:

Stll3

Rough_Rock
Good idea!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful transitional cut diamond and the setting is wonderful. I would guess the diamond to be cut in the 1920s and the setting created a bit later. The setting would like nice with a richly colored red, blue or purple stone. Great find!

Stll3

Rough_Rock
Thanks @LisaRN I just love it and will be really pleased if I can get two beautiful rings out of it. Purple is a great idea!

Stll3

Rough_Rock
@LisaRN what makes you think transitional cut over OEC? I’m assuming they’re different

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not positive- it's hard to judge from photos but the crown looks a bit lower than an OEC.

Stll3

Rough_Rock
@stracci2000 eek! I paid less than 4K USD so am starting to think I got myself a bit of a steal! That ring is beautiful. I am going to speak to a jeweller friend to see if we can safely remove and replace the stone so I can have the best of both worlds. I really hope I can :)

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely stone. It looks white in your pics so please post the GIA results if you send it out. I like the suggestion of replacing with a purple, red or blue stone.

collier

Shiny_Rock
It is a beautiful ring as is. If it were me, I would wear it as is but I totally get wanting to reset it too. And getting 2 rings is even better!

Piqued Digi Media

Rough_Rock
It looks like an OEC resembling platinum. It's a good move to get it an auction and if it was me, i would keep it safely resting it according to my wish.

Stll3

Rough_Rock
I’m getting the diamond reset next week and very excited to see the stone out of the original setting. I am hoping it’s as white as it seems but even with a little colour it is so damn sparkly I love it either way! I have also decided to set a different stone in the original so will post pics when complete :)

Stll3

Rough_Rock
And here they are! My jeweller was very impressed with the diamond and thinks it’s a G color rather than J. Seeing it out of the setting I thinks it’s a transitional. It’s is soooo sparkly and I just love it in its new setting. I also replaced the diamond in the original ring with a chrysoberyl which has come out really well and is quite unusual. Photos don’t really do the chrysoberyl justice, it seems to change colour! Thanks for all the advice everyone! AA63BE47-6397-4880-9442-79FEA6A78047.jpeg 07D288D8-E9D4-4053-A8E5-F6429EEE1B24.jpeg 7366667A-58AA-427C-9EA9-410EFC4052FE.jpeg BFA5965B-3C18-40DC-B7F5-B3AB0D1E3C8B.jpeg

collier

Shiny_Rock
Lovely! Thanks for the update. Colored stones are so hard to photograph

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Winner, winner! Love them both. :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results