shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this normal on a round solitaire?

mvaj25

Rough_Rock
I just purchased this round solitaire and it is beautiful in most lightings; however, in elevator or certain shopping mall lightings, it looks very white all around the outside edge of the diamond; whereas, the inside part is darker. Is this normal for strong lighting environments? I spent a lot of money on it and I don't want a diamond that will have lots of light leakage around the edges. See first picture for the issue I'm talking about (this pic was taken in an elevator). The other picture is the ring in normal daytime kitchen lighting ring.jpg .

Attachments

• ring2.jpg
    ring2.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 39

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
I have no experience with diamonds, but I can say that this is normal for brilliant cut coloured stones.

In the pics below, the top one was taken under a cloudy sky, the bottom one in light from the side. Judging by the shadows, the lighting in your pics is similar: top, lighting from behind you; bottom, from the side.

The brilliant cut is designed to give good light return (when viewed square-on) for light from angles reasonably close the viewer, not so much for light from wide angles.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
I just purchased this round solitaire and it is beautiful in most lightings; however, in elevator or certain shopping mall lightings, it looks very white all around the outside edge of the diamond; whereas, the inside part is darker. Is this normal for strong lighting environments? I spent a lot of money on it and I don't want a diamond that will have lots of light leakage around the edges. See first picture for the issue I'm talking about (this pic was taken in an elevator). The other picture is the ring in normal daytime kitchen lighting ring.jpg .

Do you have the diamonds report, someone might be able to speak more on it when they see it’s cut.

mvaj25

Rough_Rock

Here's the stats on the diamond. I forgot to post it. Screenshot 2023-06-06 at 4.31.34 PM.png

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Typically that is normal behavior for a diamond: goes dark in direct lighting because it is refracting light into the visible spectrum.
Do you see fire in the middle under such lighting, or is it dark and dead?

mvaj25

Rough_Rock
Typically that is normal behavior for a diamond: goes dark in direct lighting because it is refracting light into the visible spectrum.
Do you see fire in the middle under such lighting, or is it dark and dead?

Yes, it has rainbows and fire in the center (dark) areas. I just found it odd because I had previously purchased a similar diamond (and subsequently exchanged it for this one) with very similar stats and when I had it in the same elevator, it did not go white round the edges. (see pic below) The left side was the first one I purchased and exchanged for the one on the right side. Please help me determine if I made the right decision exchanging it. I don't want to be stuck with a bad diamond. ring 3.jpg

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Yes, it has rainbows and fire in the center (dark) areas. I just found it odd because I had previously purchased a similar diamond (and subsequently exchanged it for this one) with very similar stats and when I had it in the same elevator, it did not go white round the edges. (see pic below) The left side was the first one I purchased and exchanged for the one on the right side. Please help me determine if I made the right decision exchanging it. I don't want to be stuck with a bad diamond. ring 3.jpg

Do you still have the grading report number for the previous diamond?

mvaj25

Rough_Rock
Do you still have the grading report number for the previous diamond?

Yes I do. See attached. This was the first diamond I bought. Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 12.47.42 PM.png

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Yes I do. See attached. This was the first diamond I bought. Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 12.47.42 PM.png

By chance, do you have an ASET scope or located near a local jeweler with one? Could either be something wrong with the cut precision or just the individual performance personality of this particular diamond.

mvaj25

Rough_Rock
By chance, do you have an ASET scope or located near a local jeweler with one? Could either be something wrong with the cut precision or just the individual performance personality of this particular diamond.

Unfortunately, I don't have an ASET scope image. When I purchased it from James Allen, they said there wasn't one available. I guess, I was just wondering if it was normal for a diamond to look this way and is it plus or a minus.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately, I don't have an ASET scope image. When I purchased it from James Allen, they said there wasn't one available. I guess, I was just wondering if it was normal for a diamond to look this way and is it plus or a minus.

It is normal for diamonds to go dark when under direct lighting conditions.

Do you have the link still to the JA listings for both diamonds?

Does it sparkle in a manner similar to this under direct lighting?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results