shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this normal for updating Pay Pal?

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,

I hope its ok to ask a question even though I don't post very often. I just need some insight/wisdom/guidance...

So, this is my situation...I want to make a purchase from the Preloved section and I haven't used my Pay Pal in over a year so Pay Pal won't let me add money to my account until I provide them with a photo ID, proof of address, and proof of SSN. Is this normal? This seems like sensitive, and possibly identity stealing information. I mean they already have my financial info, isn't that all they should need? Am I over reacting? Should I give it to them?

Thanks in advance :wavey:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can give them a call and give it over the phone. They just dont want anyone else accessing your account and racking up a bill. I had to do something similar when I hadn't used my account in forever.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is illegal to use SSNs for any purpose other than taxes/payroll.

Entities still ask for it. I push back and cite the law. They can ID you many other ways.

So its a risk management decision for you/people. I always refuse and companies just accept that.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
azstonie|1436927169|3902947 said:
It is illegal to use SSNs for any purpose other than taxes/payroll.

Entities still ask for it. I push back and cite the law. They can ID you many other ways.

So its a risk management decision for you/people. I always refuse and companies just accept that.

+ 1
I recently had to update my info, but I also refuse requests for SSN unless it's for tax or payroll purposes. Good info Azstonie! :appl:

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
This is the information I am being told by the "Resolution Center" that I need to provide before they will let me add money to my account.

Steps to Provide More Information
Date Limited Required Response
Status
Action

Jul 14, 2015 Photo IDTo help confirm your identity, please send us a copy of your photo ID that shows your name and address.
Waiting for your response
Resolve

Jul 14, 2015 Proof of AddressTo confirm your address, please send us a copy of a bill that shows your name and address. Helpful
documents include a utility bill, a cell phone bill, an insurance bill, or a tuition bill.
In Progress
Resolve

Jul 14, 2015 Provide Proof Of SSNProvide documentation that shows your Social Security number. Helpful documents include a copy of
your Social Security card, a pay stub, or a government-issued document.
Waiting for your response
Resolve

I have never given a photo ID to them so how will they know it's me? I thought the bill was an ok request so they can double check the address with the address on file for my Credit Card. But the request for a SSN...!? And I think Pay Pal wants ALL 3 or I can't use my account. Does it seem that way to you?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PP asked me to update my account but I just ignore them. I'm still able to use PP for my Ebay purchases.

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is more in response to Dancing Fire than PattyCo (PattyCo, I don't know if you initiated the transaction or if it came to you in an email request). If you receive any email from PayPal please ensure it is not a scam or phishing email. I receive so many of these "your PP account has been restricted" or "you need to update PP now" on a weekly basis but most go straight to my junk mail. I went to the PayPal website and they tell you what to to watch for. Any legitimate email from PayPal will include your name associated with your PayPal account in the body of the email. If it says something like Dear Customer, than you know it's a scam. Never click on links that are in the body of the email. Go directly to the PayPal website and update your account from there.

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
Poodles4me that is such good advice. In my case the request has come directly from Pay Pal. I was on the website to add money to my account so I could make a purchase from the Preloved forum here. I got a pop-up that said I needed to update my information and there was a link to the Resolution Center. In the Resolution Center it is asking for my photo ID, proof of address, and SSN. I wasn't sure if asking for the photo ID and the SSN was normal. I didn't give this information when I set the account years ago. It seems a bit much to me, but I could also be over reacting, lol! I appreciate everyones advice :)

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Poodles4me|1436968509|3903060 said:
This is more in response to Dancing Fire than PattyCo (PattyCo, I don't know if you initiated the transaction or if it came to you in an email request). If you receive any email from PayPal please ensure it is not a scam or phishing email. I receive so many of these "your PP account has been restricted" or "you need to update PP now" on a weekly basis but most go straight to my junk mail. I went to the PayPal website and they tell you what to to watch for. Any legitimate email from PayPal will include your name associated with your PayPal account in the body of the email. If it says something like Dear Customer, than you know it's a scam. Never click on links that are in the body of the email. Go directly to the PayPal website and update your account from there.

I get those all the time myself.

PayPal offers vendors the ability to invoice through PayPal but you use your VISA, MC, AmEx, to pay. No need to load money into a PayPal account. I've bought several things on Etsy in just this way. IMHO, PayPal's security is so weak that they don't get any information from me ever again.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They usually give other methods of updating if you call them.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It does include my name but I still ignore the Email.

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1436981220|3903129 said:
It does include my name but I still ignore the Email.

Thanks Dancing Fire, I just wanted to make sure you knew. So many of these scam emails can look so real.

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
Well that was an educational phone call I just made to Pay Payl, thanks to Telephone89. I was told that, as part of the Patriot Act, Pay Pal has to ask for a person for their SSN. Aaaaand I could have avoided giving out all this info if I had only known that making my purchase, even though there wasn't enough in my Pay Pal account, the rest would have just been taken out of my financial institute :doh: .

Well, at least I will have a new shiny to distract me :D !

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results