shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this inclusion risky, for cracking?

mrsctobe

Shiny_Rock
Hi all, I asked Whiteflash for images of a 2.5 carat diamond. They said its eye clean except a small spot under bright lighting from 5-6 inches.
1634771563376.png

I actually do not see this inclusion listed on the certification at all:

1634772270643.png

The location of it, being on the edge - is it at risk for cracking/breaking? I believe it is a clouds inclusion in a line shape.

mrsctobe

Shiny_Rock
Whiteflash says its a "linear cloud" (i dont see it on the certification diagram, but I'm wondering if it poses any sort of cracking/structural risk as a feather/line near that area might?)

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
doubtful that it's a risk from what you are showing. What is the clarity grade? Also, I see you've recently started three different threads. You might want to consolidate them if you are looking for a diamond and setting to make a ring. You might get more responses that way instead of having three threads, assuming these are all about the same project.

mrsctobe

Shiny_Rock
doubtful that it's a risk from what you are showing. What is the clarity grade? Also, I see you've recently started three different threads. You might want to consolidate them if you are looking for a diamond and setting to make a ring. You might get more responses that way instead of having three threads, assuming these are all about the same project.

Thanks for your response and the tip! Yes, they are all about the same project. I figured I would get more responses if I separated them out by issue, but ill take your advice. The clarity grade on this one is an SI1, but its mostly eye clean minus that photo they sent above which they called a "linear cloud"

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not familiar with that term, so I'll let others respond, but it's not a feather so I would guess that any kind of cloud would not affect durability, but again, I'm not an expert on that.

mrsctobe

Shiny_Rock
I'm not familiar with that term, so I'll let others respond, but it's not a feather so I would guess that any kind of cloud would not affect durability, but again, I'm not an expert on that.

Thanks! Is there anyone else I should tag in this thread? Linear cloud I believe is just a series of clouds in a line. On the certification if you zoom in closely most of the inclusions are a bunch of tiny dots (clouds) that look like lines/feathers but they arent

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you so much Karl for the feedback and tagging the right people! I agree, it's such a weird inclusion. The location is what bothered me initially!

All inclusions are unique and every Si1 is different. Generally speaking, a diamond graded Si1 will not have an elevated durability risk. The labs use the Imperfect range, and sometimes the Si2 grade, to communicate serious issues such as durability.

I inspected this diamond myself earlier today and I can say there is no reason for this diamond to raise durability concerns. Although the stone plot supports the Si1 grade, this diamond looks much more like a VS2 to all who have inspected it. It most certainly is eye-clean by our standard, as indicated on the website.

Note: the description of the inclusion by the Whiteflash consultant as a "linear cloud" was not meant as a specific gemological term, but rather to convey that the cloud was very elongated in shape.

mrsctobe

Shiny_Rock
All inclusions are unique and every Si1 is different. Generally speaking, a diamond graded Si1 will not have an elevated durability risk. The labs use the Imperfect range, and sometimes the Si2 grade, to communicate serious issues such as durability.

I inspected this diamond myself earlier today and I can say there is no reason for this diamond to raise durability concerns. Although the stone plot supports the Si1 grade, this diamond looks much more like a VS2 to all who have inspected it. It most certainly is eye-clean by our standard, as indicated on the website.

Note: the description of the inclusion by the Whiteflash consultant as a "linear cloud" was not meant as a specific gemological term, but rather to convey that the cloud was very elongated in shape.

Thank you so much! I definitely feel better and more knowledgeable. I have it on hold and will purchase so I can see it in person!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results