shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this heart-shaped natural ruby worth this price?

mynystry

Rough_Rock
Hello, I am looking for a Ruby for a very special gift and I found this advertisement, but I am not sure if the price is excessive or if it is fair, what do you think?

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-.....

Specs:

Gem: 100% Natural Ruby
Shape: Heart
Size: 8x8 mm. (about .31 in x .31 in)
Weight: 2 Carats
Color: Red/Pink
Clarity: VS-2 (some inclusions)
Origin: India
Treatment: None
Price: $270 USD ($3,600 MXP)

I found this other offer http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-431658587-rubi-sangre-de-pichon-100-natural-corazon-264-carats-_JM

For that they want $30 USD... is it possible to get a 2 ct. natural untreated ruby for that price or is it clearly a fraud?

Thanks for your help!

cm366

Shiny_Rock
The first link doesn't work. The second... It's probably a real piece of red corundum, but I think it's likely to be dark and almost opaque in hand. There's an awful lot of light shining into it in those photos, and you still can't see any of the facets in the pavilion (the polished surfaces in the back which should be reflecting light back up and through). There's lots of similar material available on eBay or in person, if you can find an Indian or SE Asian import shop, but the price on this one is fair or even high if it's as dark as I'd guess in hand. I'd ask the seller for a video of it in hand, maybe in sunlight and indoors, and see what it looks like then... Hope it helps!

mynystry

Rough_Rock
cm366|1383952731|3553066 said:
The first link doesn't work. The second... It's probably a real piece of red corundum, but I think it's likely to be dark and almost opaque in hand. There's an awful lot of light shining into it in those photos, and you still can't see any of the facets in the pavilion (the polished surfaces in the back which should be reflecting light back up and through). There's lots of similar material available on eBay or in person, if you can find an Indian or SE Asian import shop, but the price on this one is fair or even high if it's as dark as I'd guess in hand. I'd ask the seller for a video of it in hand, maybe in sunlight and indoors, and see what it looks like then... Hope it helps!

Ups, I am sorry, here is the link for the first stone again:

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-434199139-precioso-rubi-100-natural-corazon-8x8mm-20-quilates-_JM

Thanks a lot for answering cm366

cm366

Shiny_Rock
No worries, cheers for the updated link! For the 2.0 ct cabochon ruby, look at the difference in colour between the top two photos and the third and fourth- I think it'll look much more like the second two or maybe even a little darker and more brown in hand. The brighter pictures have been flooded with light much more intense than any you'll see in real life, and it's likely that even the pictures of it resting on the ruler have been carefully chosen to showcase the stone at its absolute best.

My Spanish is a little rusty, but it looks like the seller responded to your question by saying the stone is 100% natural but did not address the question of treatments. I've no doubt it's not a synthetic, but I'd be worried about leaded glass or other filling compounds to disguise fractures. It's also a little worrisome that 20% of the seller's transactions have been canceled, although I'm not familiar enough with the site to tell whether that's definitely a problem with the seller. On eBay, it would be a GIANT RED FLAG.

mynystry

Rough_Rock
Mercado Libre is the same as eBay in Mexico, it's the same company, but they chose that name because it was already a popular site before ebay bought it.

Yeah I also saw his ratings and I didn't like so much the 20% cancelled sales, but the seller lives relatively close to my place, if I bought a real ruby I think I'd like to see it in person before paying.

I heard that filling inclusions with lead decreases dramatically the price of a natural ruby, I suppose that if the cabochon ruby I showed you had lead fillings it would be worth very little, but let's think it is a real untreated natural one, how much would it worth maximum? The seller is asking me to give him an offer, but I am really not familiar with jewelry prices. I want the ruby to make my engagement ring :)

Regards and thanks again for the answer!

cm366

Shiny_Rock
I didn't realize they were the same company - thanks! That being the case, I'm more concerned about the seller - 20% of transactions being cancelled suggests that they're doing something extremely dodgy, or that they are regularly attracting disreputable clients. I'd also be concerned that the photos they show are not all of the same stone - the last image, of the ring, shows a faceted red stone where this one is cabbed. Regardless, I'd say this stone is likely to be coloured more like the 4th image in the set of photos on the top, and you could do much better even among relatively inexpensive rubies at a larger store with a better reputation like starruby.in or http://www.multicolour.com/gallery/index.html

I think the price for this one is probably fair if it's truly untreated and consistently looks like the first two pics, in the tweezers, but it's double or triple what I'd expect if it's more like the third or fourth picture. Don't take the seller's word on treatments or accept the word of any local tester they recommend. Do you mind if I ask what sort of budget you're looking with? Are you only interested in heart-shaped stones? Would any red stone be acceptable, or only a ruby? Completely untreated or would heated (very common and stable, very well accepted worldwide) be acceptable? Maybe someone will have some suggestions...

mynystry

Rough_Rock
cm366|1384048788|3553634 said:
I'd also be concerned that the photos they show are not all of the same stone - the last image, of the ring, shows a faceted red stone where this one is cabbed.

Ah yes, that's not the same stone, they just put it in as an "example" of what you can do with the ruby (put it in a ring, pendant, etc)

I think the price for this one is probably fair if it's truly untreated and consistently looks like the first two pics, in the tweezers, but it's double or triple what I'd expect if it's more like the third or fourth picture.

I think the color is probably like the 3rd and 4th pics, as you noticed before the first pics have too much light on them, I think it won't be that clear on natural light.

Do you mind if I ask what sort of budget you're looking with? Are you only interested in heart-shaped stones? Would any red stone be acceptable, or only a ruby? Completely untreated or would heated (very common and stable, very well accepted worldwide) be acceptable? Maybe someone will have some suggestions...

Well, I am new to buying jewelry, that's why I am trying to learn a little so I don't go blindfolded when I see some offer. Most people buy diamonds for engagement rings, but in such case I see diamonds as some symbol of pretentiousness and opulence, and that's not the meaning I want to give to the ring I'll give to my bride. I really like the Claddagh Ring design, and I would like the heart to be blood red color. I looked at other stones but any shines beautifully as the rubies, that's why I chose that stone. About the price I don't mind to pay the cost, as long as it is fair according to the market rules.

Greetings and thanks again.

cm366

Shiny_Rock
Learning is good! :D A good place to start would be some of the pinned threads at the top of the CS forum, especially LD's "New to gemstone buying? Read this first!" and the vendor list, to look through their offerings and get an idea of market costs and qualities.

While I'm also a fan of coloured stones over diamonds, I'd point out that the one you're looking for is one of the relatively few that can be more expensive than diamonds. A fine minimally treated ruby in this size range will cost tens of thousands of dollars - an average example might be this one: http://www.ajsgem.com/ruby/burma-ruby/burma-ruby-2.03-carats.html-1
where a particularly nice unenhanced one will cost more like this:
http://www.rwwise.com/products/category|86
That's the only reason I ask about your budget - to establish whether you're in the market for stones like these or whether you'll need to compromise on some aspect of the stone.

Neither of these vendors is known for massive bargains, but neither is unusually expensive, either. It's extremely unlikely that you'll find a massive bargain on a stone of this size and quality - they're just too recognizable and too much in demand, like finding someone at the local market selling a secondhand Ferrari for $2000 USD. As far as nothing else being as beautiful, posters here are frequently advised to look at red spinels as a close second to rubies - some, like Chrono's avatar or Athenaworth's Mahenge ring, can be as spectacular as any ruby you're ever likely to encounter. However, they're not that much less expensive.

mynystry

Rough_Rock
cm366|1384462413|3556563 said:
Learning is good! :D A good place to start would be some of the pinned threads at the top of the CS forum, especially LD's "New to gemstone buying? Read this first!" and the vendor list, to look through their offerings and get an idea of market costs and qualities.

While I'm also a fan of coloured stones over diamonds, I'd point out that the one you're looking for is one of the relatively few that can be more expensive than diamonds. A fine minimally treated ruby in this size range will cost tens of thousands of dollars - an average example might be this one: http://www.ajsgem.com/ruby/burma-ruby/burma-ruby-2.03-carats.html-1
where a particularly nice unenhanced one will cost more like this:
http://www.rwwise.com/products/category|86
That's the only reason I ask about your budget - to establish whether you're in the market for stones like these or whether you'll need to compromise on some aspect of the stone.

Neither of these vendors is known for massive bargains, but neither is unusually expensive, either. It's extremely unlikely that you'll find a massive bargain on a stone of this size and quality - they're just too recognizable and too much in demand, like finding someone at the local market selling a secondhand Ferrari for $2000 USD. As far as nothing else being as beautiful, posters here are frequently advised to look at red spinels as a close second to rubies - some, like Chrono's avatar or Athenaworth's Mahenge ring, can be as spectacular as any ruby you're ever likely to encounter. However, they're not that much less expensive.

Let's say those prices go a "little" over what I could pay. I am looking for something a little bit more modest, maybe something between $500-$1000 USD. Is it possible to find a nice natural ruby for that money? It doesn't need to be perfect, but there are somethings I would like:

Color: Blood Red
Size: not smaller than 5x5 mm, but i'd prefer a little bit bigger.
Shape: Heart (faceted is preferred)
Inclusions: I don't mind there are some inclusions as long as it doesn't change the color and shines nicely.

Is it realistic to look for a natural ruby with these characteristics between that price range, or should I stop dreaming and look for a treated one?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Its possible, but it will be difficult.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
To answer your original question, it's a fraud.

A 2 carat ruby, even heat treated, is at least $3,000 dollars US.

What they do is take a lousy, nasty chunk of ruby and they treat it. This chunk is usually $10 dollar, US. It is from the reject pile, but it is indeed "natural", from the earth.

There is an assortment of treatments to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear:

They can put it in an oven and fill the cracks with red colored glass. This glass will fall out when setting the stone or when it's put into an ultrasonic cleaner.

They can put it in an oven with chemicals and change a brown rock to red. Sometimes this is a permanent change, sometimes not.

They can heat it up, and make the nasty, dirty specks inside melt and disappear.

They can cover it with a plastic coating to make it red. This plastic will scratch or peel off.

Ask yourself if someone would really sell a $3000 ruby for $200.

mynystry

Rough_Rock
Thanks a lot for the answers, when you are new to buying something it is very hard to know if the seller is being honest, but in Mexico you have to be very careful when buying, specially in sites as Ebay when it is easy for sellers to avoid responsability. Maybe, if one is thinking about buying such a expensive stone, it is better to go to a more trustful store...

iLander|1384568678|3557400 said:
To answer your original question, it's a fraud.
Ask yourself if someone would really sell a $3000 ruby for $200.

The only other possible answer it is that the seller don't know the real value and it is a bargain... but I know that's unlikely... thanks for the answer iLander

Chrono|1384535299|3557084 said:

Thanks a lot for the recommendation Chrono, is that site reliable?

Does someone has a good experience with international shipping?

Regards and many thanks to all!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Yes, the site is reliable. I have never bought from David, but others have, and perhaps they can chime in. I have bought internationally, but never returned anything. I am more careful with international purchases. If you are interested in this stone, you should inquire about the duties/taxes that may be applicable if you buy or return.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have purchased from Multicolour; good customer service and honest. I haven't returned a stone yet so I cannot speak about the return shipping process. The picture tends to be slightly better looking than the stone in hand.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results