shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this fair?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

galager

Rough_Rock
I am shopping for a diamond for my girlfriend, because its about that time. Originally I wnated to spend around 15K. I was shown an asscher cut, 2.05 carat, H color, VS1 that was beautiful. It's a little more than I wanted to spend, but I'm thinking it may be worth it. The only thing I thought I could see was that at certain times I would catch an amber hue off one of the facets, but never straight on (I have no experience looking at these things). Can anyone tell me what a fair ballpark price is for a diamond of this spec?

If I'm getting quotes a fair price, I'll be happy, I just don't want to get hosed...

Sorry for the rookie mistake, I just realized I left out the measurements and the spec sheet is at home. I'll update later, but the price I was quoted for this loose diamond was 18,200.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2007 10:32:33 AM
Author:galager
I am shopping for a diamond for my girlfriend, because its about that time. Originally I wnated to spend around 15K. I was shown an asscher cut, 2.05 carat, H color, VS1 that was beautiful. It''s a little more than I wanted to spend, but I''m thinking it may be worth it. The only thing I thought I could see was that at certain times I would catch an amber hue off one of the facets, but never straight on (I have no experience looking at these things). Can anyone tell me what a fair ballpark price is for a diamond of this spec?

If I''m getting quotes a fair price, I''ll be happy, I just don''t want to get hosed...
sometimes diamonds play with our skin colors, intensifying and diluting them.... I have several pictures of my diamond where you can clearly see my lip color interspersed. That could explain the amber color... other than that I''ve no advice on asschers - good luck and congrats!!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Cehrabehra js right on. When you look into a diamond, you are looking into a bundle of mirrors. In addition to the body color of the diamond, you see what’s reflected in each mirror which includes you, what you’re wearing and even what’s in the room around you.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
$15k to $16k would be a fair online price.
$18.2k seems a bit steep even for a b&m to me.
Is it branded?

galager

Rough_Rock
The quote I got is from a reputable diamond dealer in NYC. So I expect it to be slightly more than online, I am willing to absorb some premium to purchase face-to-face, but not too much. What would be the disadvantage to purchasing online? Besides not seeing what you are buying up front. I assume there are return policies....

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you have the specs?

If you are in NY why don't you go to Good Old Gold??? They have gotten some of the most amazing Asschers on here for PSers and their prices are competitive to other online vendors. Best of Both worlds. IMO.

Engagement Rings Direct would be good too. Great Prices, and Mark is just wonderful.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I think it we need to know who graded the diamond to establish the specs and value. If you think you are seeing a tint it could be just fine, or it could be that the stone is not really the color it is claimed to be. Do you have a report? Who did it?

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Galager and Welcome to Pricescope!
35.gif

I'm glad you decided to post about this diamond. There are a ton of folks here who can help you. "Storm" is our resident asscher expert and it looks like he has given you some good advice.

If you go to the Homepage, you can do a search for asschers, 2.04-2.06 H VS1 and you will get a page-worth of results with prices ranging from $13.9K to $17.2K. This would be for a generic asccher, i.e. - a square cut emerald. It is important to know if this is a branded "Royal Asscher", as pointed out by Storm. These carry a premium.

If you decide to go the online route, you will probably be best off working with a vendor who can be a set of eyes for you, and filter out the poorly cut stones. On that page worth of search results, there may be some nice stones, but it's hard to tell without someone looking at them for you. Gypsy had an excellent suggestion about Good Old Gold. They are very well-regarded when it comes to finding nice asschers for clients, and sound local for you.

If you really like the one you saw, try checking it out in different lighting conditions. If it's generic make sure the cert is GIA (or maybe HRD) and bargains with the guy based on the online search results. An EGL cert may warrant further discount (but also more caution).

galager

Rough_Rock

Thanks everyone for the input so far. I am home and have the GIA report the dealer gave to me.

Square Cut Emerald
7.28 x 7.24 x 4.66mm
2.05 Carat
H color
VS1
polish excellent
symmetry excellent
Flourescence none

Table 66%
Depth 64.4% (this may be 54.4 but the copy is somewhat blurry, but I'm guessing I just divide 4.66 by 7.24 to get that number?)
Culet none
Girdle thick - very thick
$18,200

The one flaw is on a corner where a post will be, it's a feather and I could not see it under a loupe.

Hope this provides more insight. Comments are greatly appreciated, thanks for helping a newbie!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's pretty good as long as that's 64.4 and 54... the table is larger than the depth... and that's generally not 'ideal'... but if you've SEEN it and it's bright and sparkly OUTSIDE, our from under the jeweler's lights, and it still has that miles deep look... its a good one. I think you're overpaying though. Did you see the one I posted? ERD is right in the diamond district. GOG is in??? Long Island, but its WORTH going there.

ETA: Opps that was another Asscher thread where I posted the ERD diamond.

galager

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/16/2007 7:15:53 PM
Author: Gypsy
It''s pretty good as long as that''s 64.4 and 54... the table is larger than the depth... and that''s generally not ''ideal''... but if you''ve SEEN it and it''s bright and sparkly OUTSIDE, our from under the jeweler''s lights, and it still has that miles deep look... its a good one. I think you''re overpaying though. Did you see the one I posted? ERD is right in the diamond district. GOG is in??? Long Island, but its WORTH going there.

ETA: Opps that was another Asscher thread where I posted the ERD diamond.
I figured I was overpaying, it''s a nice rock, but I''m sure there are others just as nice. What''s a decent price price for something like this, ballpark. I also have not counter offered. I did read your suggestions before and have been digging through the good as gold web site which is just jam-packed of information, thanks for that. I think I''m making the drive out to LI, its a pain, but they seem to be extremely well spoken of and the web site is a must read for anyone taking the plunge.

galager

Rough_Rock
Anybody in particular i should speak to at GOG for an appointment?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2007 7:36:29 PM
Author: galager
Anybody in particular i should speak to at GOG for an appointment?
Contact Tim, and ask for an appt. with Jon.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also, when you call... tell them exactly what you are looking for so that they will have some time to get in a couple of diamonds for you to look at.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2007 7:15:53 PM
Author: Gypsy
It's pretty good as long as that's 64.4 and 54... the table is larger than the depth... and that's generally not 'ideal'...
Gypsy, I'm not an expert, but I'm wondering about this statement that 64.4 Table and 54 Depth is preferable to 66 Table and 64.4 Depth?

I just want to clarify some of the proportions so our friend isn't confused or asking for the wrong thing. From some of the threads I've read, I was under the impression that the table should be say 56-63 roughly, and depths between 63 and 70, roughly. Higher crown angles, say 13-17 are preferable. I also understand that there's no real hard fast rule about these proportions because there are so many different angles to consider.

I agree with you that it's all about how it looks in person. Maybe the table is too big, maybe not. My asscher has a 65 table and a 70.2 depth and I love it.

No offense intended. I think you've given great advice.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Some people love larger tabled asschers nothing wrong with them if you like the look but the smaller tabled asschers are better all around performers on average.

the depth is 64 ,, 54 would pretty much be unheard of.

The table smaller than depth is true of a lot of great asschers but isnt a universal rule.
A kicken asscher can be 62% table and 60% deep or 62/62 but because shallow asschers well cut are rare the table smaller than depth works a lot of the time but care is needed in applying it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results