shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this diamond sparkly based on its Gemex report? {newbie needs help}

Sperry8

Rough_Rock
I have been shown a diamond and it appears to sparkle properly, shows hearts and arrows, and very little light loss via a light path scope. They even provided this Gemex report showing High and Very High overall marks. However, the 5 light views don't show as crazy bright (to me), esp views 3 & 5. The jeweler said those photos are less important than the overall scores at the bars on top. Not sure if that's true. But why the difference (bars vs views)? Based on the Gemex report is this a good diamond? (I also attached a photo as seen through the light path scope and the HCR report)

Gemex report.jpeg

Attachments

• light loss.jpg
    light loss.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Holloway Cut Report.png
    Holloway Cut Report.png
    589.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello and welcome to PriceScope,Sperry8!

Found a picture of the diamond:

The grading report:

It has good potential, but the crown angle is a bit steeper...would love to see an ASET scope image to verify if there's any troublesome light leakage going on under the table area. Is this something that the seller can provide?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
gemex is severely limited in that its a limited lighting scheme vs many different lighting conditions in the real world and it favors a small subset of well cut diamonds that has little real world connection.
I would take anything on the gemex report with a grain of salt.
I used to be a fan but since I have learned a lot more about diamonds and diamond performance I consider it little more than a toy.
That is just my opinion and others may or may not agree.

Sperry8

Rough_Rock
Hello and welcome to PriceScope,Sperry8!

Found a picture of the diamond:

The grading report:

It has good potential, but the crown angle is a bit steeper...would love to see an ASET scope image to verify if there's any troublesome light leakage going on under the table area. Is this something that the seller can provide?

Thanks, nice to be here. I attached a photo in the original post of the light leakage (taken from the Light Path Scope he had in the store). I believe this shows the light leakage of the stone. Does it look OK to you?

Appreciate you sending this link: https://www.stonealgo.com/diamond-details/gia-number-2225680068 Is the price estimate in this link valid? If so, it seems a fair price as he's asking $16,380 (which seems like the average fair estimate before the price jump a ~3-4 weeks ago).

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, nice to be here. I attached a photo in the original post of the light leakage (taken from the Light Path Scope he had in the store). I believe this shows the light leakage of the stone. Does it look OK to you?

Appreciate you sending this link: https://www.stonealgo.com/diamond-details/gia-number-2225680068 Is the price estimate in this link valid? If so, it seems a fair price as he's asking $16,380 (which seems like the average fair estimate before the price jump a ~3-4 weeks ago).

I may be getting nitpicky here, but the Ideal-Scope image probably needs to be retaken with proper backlighting and alignment to really gauge these potential areas of concern better:

Screenshot_20230603-204155-221.png

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@DejaWiz
Its not an IS image its a light path scope image which looks to have different obstruction levels compared to IS.
In not at my pc to try and hunt down more details on it.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ask the vendor if they have the symmetry scope aka h&a scope to go with it and can get the pavilion/heart view.
That will answer a lot of questions.

Using the lightest part of the center as a leakage reference many of the areas that @DejaWiz marked are not a concern to me.
I suspect some of the other is a different obstruction % issue.
The area around the arrow at 9 o'clock is probably an indication of a small heart in a h&a image of unknown magnitude in that area.

Sperry8

Rough_Rock
Ask the vendor if they have the symmetry scope aka h&a scope to go with it and can get the pavilion/heart view.
That will answer a lot of questions.

Using the lightest part of the center as a leakage reference many of the areas that @DejaWiz marked are not a concern to me.
I suspect some of the other is a different obstruction % issue.
The area around the arrow at 9 o'clock is probably an indication of a small heart in a h&a image of unknown magnitude in that area.

Thank you! I will ask. For clarity, is the H&A scope different than an Ideal-scope (or what I probably incorrectly call a hearts and arrows viewer)? They had one in their store, is that what you want a photo of?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you! I will ask. For clarity, is the H&A scope different than an Ideal-scope (or what I probably incorrectly call a hearts and arrows viewer)? They had one in their store, is that what you want a photo of?
The image will look similar to the traditional hearts and arrows symmetry. Ignore the advertising for the solasfera that they call advanced optical symmetry.
optical_symmetry_viewer_image_1.jpg

Sperry8

Rough_Rock
Hi Karl. Here is (I believe) what you asked for. What do you think?
rd_2.03_jvvs2_gia#2225680068-Hearts-02.jpg rd_2.03_jvvs2_gia#2225680068-ASET white-01.jpg rd_2.03_jvvs2_gia#2225680068-Arrows-02.jpg

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Respectfully, it isn't terribly promising to my eyes. It certainly isn't awful, but if you're looking for a super-ideal cut type this probably won't quite meet that for you. If the price is right, it could be a solid option as long as you know it won't be picture perfect

Sperry8

Rough_Rock
Respectfully, it isn't terribly promising to my eyes. It certainly isn't awful, but if you're looking for a super-ideal cut type this probably won't quite meet that for you. If the price is right, it could be a solid option as long as you know it won't be picture perfect

Thank you for your thoughts. Is the price right at $16,380? 2.03 carat, J, VVS2 (with all the photos you saw)

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
If I were spending that money on a stone I'd buy one of these two. They're going to have picture perfect cutting and proportions and they're around the same price. It's a little bit smaller, but I'd go for the 0.93 personally - I think it looks much whiter and it has great visual appeal. It's also less expensive

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
rd_2.03_jvvs2_gia#2225680068-Hearts-02.jpg rd_2.03_jvvs2_gia#2225680068-ASET white-01.jpg rd_2.03_jvvs2_gia#2225680068-Arrows-02.jpg

Its a very well cut stone but just a bit off from top of the line.
While not technically perfect it would make for a beautiful diamond for someone.
I would not pay super-ideal prices for it but at a price under that its worth it.

Sperry8

Rough_Rock
Its a very well cut stone but just a bit off from top of the line.
While not technically perfect it would make for a beautiful diamond for someone.
I would not pay super-ideal prices for it but at a price under that its worth it.

Thank you Karl. Sincerely appreciated!
What would you consider a super-ideal price to be (so I can be sure I'm paying under that)?

Oh, and my original question was re Gemex. The report for this stone shows High and Very High overall marks. However, the 5 light views don't show as crazy bright (to me), esp views 3 & 5. The jeweler said those photos are less important than the overall scores at the bars on top. Is that true? Or is it better to look at the 3 photos you requested (vs Gemex) to identify the ultimate sparkle of a stone?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you Karl. Sincerely appreciated!
What would you consider a super-ideal price to be (so I can be sure I'm paying under that)?

Oh, and my original question was re Gemex. The report for this stone shows High and Very High overall marks. However, the 5 light views don't show as crazy bright (to me), esp views 3 & 5. The jeweler said those photos are less important than the overall scores at the bars on top. Is that true? Or is it better to look at the 3 photos you requested (vs Gemex) to identify the ultimate sparkle of a stone?

I would just ignore the gemex entirely.

You can use the picescope search engine above and see where it falls in price relative to other diamonds with similar specs. Any WF aca listed would be super ideal.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
About $15.1-17.4k is the range I'm seeing for 2.00-2.09 J VVS2 Faint GIA 3X

If you're OK with bumping down to K color to get a bona fide SIC with intention to upgrade to a higher color grade in the future (this or that amazingly proportioned 1.93 that musicloveranthony posted earlier):

Last edited:

Sperry8

Rough_Rock
About $15.1-17.4k is the range I'm seeing for 2.00-2.09 J VVS2 Faint GIA 3X

Thanks - looks like for the price they are requesting they are right in the middle of the range, so it's a decent enough deal for a nice, but not super ideal stone.

I sincerely appreciate the time you all took out of your days to help a newbie. Thank you all.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thanks - looks like for the price they are requesting they are right in the middle of the range, so it's a decent enough deal for a nice, but not super ideal stone.

I sincerely appreciate the time you all took out of your days to help a newbie. Thank you all.

It's my pleasure and you're very welcome!
Karl_K - thanks for your in-depth analysis and insight so that Sperry8 can make the best decision possible.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results