shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this diamond a winner?!

Gemly

Rough_Rock
Hello,
I’ve found a lab created diamond that I think is a good choice but I have a couple areas of concern (I’m set on lab for personal reasons).

I’d love to find out what you think of this particular stone. The vendor is not able to send an ASET so this is all I have to go off of.

Cut is the most important factor for me and I’d like a lot of fire. It has a small table of 55% which I like, a crown angle is 34.3 (15.5%) but the pavilion angle is a little shallow (I think?) at 40.7. Is this combo going to create any issues? Less fire or brilliance? Depth is 61.8.

Would it make sense to order an ideal-scope and order the diamond to check it out? (Can return in needed). Or is it looking good enough to have it put directly into a setting?

I’ll attach the IGI report, stats picture and video if I can figure out how.

Stats:
1.83 ct.
IGI Ideal/excellent/excellent
Table: 55%
Crown angle 15.5% 34.3
Pavilion angle 43% 40.7
Total depth: 61.8

(See IGI reports for further details) 8A7C1C79-8ED3-42BD-94D6-E7CBD46C0437.jpeg 5143F12B-42AC-46E1-A7C0-D5F94F77AA69.jpeg

link to video:

thanks in advance for any hel

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately we cannot discuss lab stones here. Use the "report concern" button and ask the moderators to move this thread to the "man made diamonds" section. Also, if you are not in the trade (e.g. a jeweler/vendor), ask the moderators to remove that badge from your profile.

Gemly

Rough_Rock
Whoops, I didn’t realize there was a separate forum for lab stones. Reported. Feel free to Pm me if you have an opinions on this stone. I hope they’re as detailed on the lab forum side as this bunch here. I’d love a cut-nerd’s advise :). That’s what I’m after. Thank you!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoops, I didn’t realize there was a separate forum for lab stones. Reported. Feel free to Pm me if you have an opinions on this stone. I hope they’re as detailed on the lab forum side as this bunch here. I’d love a cut-nerd’s advise :). That’s what I’m after. Thank you!
There is no PM function on this forum, so people's comments will be the input you get.

Also, are you in the trade?

Gemly

Rough_Rock
No I’m not in the trade. No idea why that showed up, but I did report it to the moderator and ask for it to be removed.

Gemly

Rough_Rock
Thanks for that HCA report Anangel! I appreciate your reply. The .9 also concerned me a bit as I saw that under 1 was better for earrings? Not sure if that is just a misnomer.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks good! The idea of under 1 being better for earrings is that sometimes stones with under 1 HCA can get obstructed by your head if you look up close. There's a gif that gets linked here sometimes but I cant find it. I wouldn't worry about it though

Gemly

Rough_Rock
I think it looks good! The idea of under 1 being better for earrings is that sometimes stones with under 1 HCA can get obstructed by your head if you look up close. There's a gif that gets linked here sometimes but I cant find it. I wouldn't worry about it though
Thanks Lovedog! Do you think this particular combination of measurements will create head obstruction?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Lovedog! Do you think this particular combination of measurements will create head obstruction?
I honestly have no clue since I dont have a great sense of what causes it in the first place. Sorry!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aha I found the gif that @Garry H (Cut Nut) posted. I'm not saying your stone does this, but this is something people refer to when discussing HCA scores below 1 and potential issues.

shallow girl gif.gif

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And heres a thread about it with a longer video of Garry discussing this.

Gemly

Rough_Rock
And heres a thread about it with a longer video of Garry discussing this.

Thank you!! I spend the last hour and a half pouring over every head obstruction article and post I could find....yet I don’t think Im any closer to determining whether this stone will have issues or not. I wish there was a clear cut answer aside from buying the stone and looking at it myself. (Won’t arrive until June 17th earliest). Maybe an expert could weigh in?

How close do you have to be to the stone for head obstruction to be an issue?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not an expert...

... but my good lady's CBI is an HCA 0.8 stone (IIRC) and there are very few instances when it looks dark, only when it's facing a dark environment or material! :)

My personal opinion is that I think this stone looks very promising :) An ASETscope image would help analyse cut accuracy, but many people buy without such images because a stone looks good to their eyes. The angles suggest it should be just fine, so see what you think when it arrives :)

Make sure you check the T&Cs for the Returns period - it may need to be *with* them on the last day of the period, rather than just *sent* to them, but hopefully you won't need or want to return it!

Gemly

Rough_Rock
Not an expert...

... but my good lady's CBI is an HCA 0.8 stone (IIRC) and there are very few instances when it looks dark, only when it's facing a dark environment or material! :)

My personal opinion is that I think this stone looks very promising :) An ASETscope image would help analyse cut accuracy, but many people buy without such images because a stone looks good to their eyes. The angles suggest it should be just fine, so see what you think when it arrives :)

Make sure you check the T&Cs for the Returns period - it may need to be *with* them on the last day of the period, rather than just *sent* to them, but hopefully you won't need or want to return it!
Thanks OooShiny! Could you share the specs/dimensions of your wife’s ring? I appreciate your input. There is certainly a return period so that gives me some peace of mind!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks OooShiny! Could you share the specs/dimensions of your wife’s ring? I appreciate your input. There is certainly a return period so that gives me some peace of mind!
I can't quite believe it's been six years since I bought it :o but here you go!

Gemly

Rough_Rock

That was so much fun to look at! That’s for sharing!!

anangel

Brilliant_Rock

I’m so glad you posted that! The diamond I ordered as the same crown/pavilion angles and I was a bit worried that the 34.2 might be a touch shallow, but if it performs anything like yours... :love:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so glad you posted that! The diamond I ordered as the same crown/pavilion angles and I was a bit worried that the 34.2 might be a touch shallow, but if it performs anything like yours... :love:
Cool!

I hope you are very happy with it when it arrives, please do post pictures! :))

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Diamond Jewelry For 4th Of July Quarantine Celebrations
    Diamond Jewelry For 4th Of July Quarantine Celebrations
    Fancy Greyish Yellowish Green Diamond
    Fancy Greyish Yellowish Green Diamond
    Phenomenal 3.01ct Cushion Brilliant Cut Engagement Ring
    Phenomenal 3.01ct Cushion Brilliant Cut Engagement Ring

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.