shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this chrome diopside or green tourmaline?

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
A simple thread for a simple question!

If you all could give me your best educated guesses down below that would be great!

I just purchased this 7mm gemstone from a stop in a teeny tiny town on our way to our destination and she had so many crystals, rings, Tibetan jewelry, but only a few cut gems.

It was sold to me as green tourmaline but was only $12 so I'm dubious but the color seems right. Its eye clean until inspected from the side in which a very small inclusion with a rainbow is seen in the gem that is not surface reaching.

Its inexpensive but I'm just super curious now and cant let it go! :twisted2:

The color seems right for tourmaline, as chrome diopside has more of that green lantern shade. This gem has a very very slight olive tone to it but to me sometimes these two gems can be indistinguishable when theyre around the same color.

What do you think? :mrgreen2:

20190922_094155.jpg 20190922_094154.jpg 20190922_094152.jpg 20190922_094143.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I say tourmaline.
Chrome diopside and tourmaline, just for comparison.
th
th

Upon closer inspection, I think you're right about tourmaline. I just looked at my chrome diopside, and the color is intense greeny green, almost too good to be true. Your stone here is more avocado-like in tone

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, chrome diopside can be a dead ringer for some green tourmaline, as it also comes in varying saturations and tones of green. I think a gemologist would be needed here. I’ve seen diopside exactly the color and shade of that tourmaline.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Actually, chrome diopside can be a dead ringer for some green tourmaline, as it also comes in varying saturations and tones of green. I think a gemologist would be needed here. I’ve seen diopside exactly the color and shade of that tourmaline.

I totally agree. As much as I'd love to have an answer right now.
To give a bit more information though, the store owner said that when she bought the large parcel of boxed gemstones she had a "highly skilled gemologist" come out and give his opinion on all and he deemed it to be green tourmaline.
But you never know with gemologists or what he used to make this determination.

If you had to make a gut feeling/intuitive decision, what would you say TL?

& @stracci2000 I feel like youre right but the price just seems so odd. My gut feeling says tourmaline but I've never owned a chrome diopside so I wouldnt mind that gem either.
Thank you for your opinion girl!!!
:mrgreen:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
It's a pretty gem, regardless and you got it for a great price :)

Aww thank you Leslie! The color is one that I quite enjoy, kind of like the color that I wish moldavite was.

Im slightly tempted to set it in a very simple 14k yellow gold ring but it was $12 for gosh sakes- wouldn't setting it in gold be heresy??!? Also chrome diopside isnt the most durable for rings so id like to know if its tourmaline or not.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrome diopside is softer than green tourmaline, so be careful setting it. My gut is chrome diopsude, as it’s more often cut into rounds than tourmaline, but I could be totally wrong. It could be synthetic or a simulant to.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Chrome diopside is softer than green tourmaline, so be careful setting it. My gut is chrome diopsude, as it’s more often cut into rounds than tourmaline, but I could be totally wrong. It could be synthetic or a simulant to.

Thank you for that!
It definetely could be chrome diopside as I truly cannot tell :confused:

Also it's neat that you think it could be synthetic but with the inclusion and little feather with a rainbow when viewed from the side I think itd be unlikely.
Unless inclusions are now not used as a method of distinguishing a natural gem?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
thats the prettiest $12 ive ever seen
hope we get to see it made into something
enjoy
and good luck getting an ID

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for that!
It definetely could be chrome diopside as I truly cannot tell :confused:

Also it's neat that you think it could be synthetic but with the inclusion and little feather with a rainbow when viewed from the side I think itd be unlikely.
Unless inclusions are now not used as a method of distinguishing a natural gem?
The feather or rainbow could be from a fracture, which can happen in synthetics or stimulants, but they do add inclusions to man made stones.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
The feather or rainbow could be from a fracture, which can happen in synthetics or stimulants, but they do add inclusions to man made stones.

Um, whaa?
That's terrifying.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Yep, it is.

Lovely.
That adds another layer to gemstone buying.....and I'm stubborn in that I like to find my own reliable sellers for gems and use my own knowledge and discernment all the time.

This makes me feel like I'll slowly start moving towards only making purchases from well known/ tried-and-true merchants if you will.

Yikes.
:shock:

Also while $12 is nothing I'm curious now to see what a trusted gemologist thinks. I think I will go on my day off this Friday.

I'm also not going to mention what it was sold to me as or what I personally think it could be. I'm interested in hearing how he decides between the two.

Oh & Thank you for your opinion T L :kiss2:
You always give it to me straight and I appreciate that!

Reactions: T L

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
So I haven't yet taken my mystery gem in to see a gemologist just yet! I always remember when its about 7pm and much too late to go!

BUT, I just made a sweet little purchase from a young woman online who was selling this 14k yellow gold band with 3 bezeled green tourmalines. She said that the piece was custom made and still has the original jewelers box and appraisal.
I had to get it because it only cost me $155 but its just so different and interesting.

I will be eager to have it in my hot little hands and compare it to my larger loose gemstone.
Each gemstone in the band is about .34cts

Heres some seller shots
s-l400 (10).jpg s-l400 (9).jpg s-l400 (8).jpg s-l400 (7).jpg s-l400 (6).jpg

I of course will not use the ring soley to decide whether the tourmaline that I purchased is indeed as described, as all gemstones are different but I am excited about this new band and it will be fun to compare them both.

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So I haven't yet taken my mystery gem in to see a gemologist just yet! I always remember when its about 7pm and much too late to go!

BUT, I just made a sweet little purchase from a young woman online who was selling this 14k yellow gold band with 3 bezeled green tourmalines. She said that the piece was custom made and still has the original jewelers box and appraisal.
I had to get it because it only cost me $155 but its just so different and interesting.

I will be eager to have it in my hot little hands and compare it to my larger loose gemstone.
Each gemstone in the band is about .34cts

Heres some seller shots
s-l400 (10).jpg s-l400 (9).jpg s-l400 (8).jpg s-l400 (7).jpg s-l400 (6).jpg

I of course will not use the ring soley to decide whether the tourmaline that I purchased is indeed as described, as all gemstones are different but I am excited about this new band and it will be fun to compare them both.

You got a stunning deal for that ring, good work!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
You got a stunning deal for that ring, good work!

Thank you! I thought so! I also wanted to share it because ive never quite seen a ring like this but I didnt want to create a new thread.
Im excited to see it in person! I just love all shades of green tourmaline.

@partgypsy Thank you girl!
I saw it and thought the price was magnificent. I'm also on a small gem and jewelry ban right now so my budget is small small but this was a lovely surprise. I feel as though im getting a ring that would cost triple to custom make!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Tis' here!
I havent had a chance to compare it to my larger suspected gt but these already seem more olive and less of the pure ray green like my larger one does.

Please ignore my beaten up hands- it's gotten cold finally in the SW and I have to constantly be putting on harsh handsanitizer at work that tears my skin and nails up.

20191102_122521~2.jpg 20191102_122314~2.jpg
20191102_124018.jpg

I love this ring already as it looks like the pattern and stones go all the way around yet its very comfy. Its also pretty hefty which I love.

Heres her back

20191102_123843.jpg

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@TheGarnetGirl such a pity your new ring didn't help give you a better comparison. I suppose you'll just have to go on buying more pretty rings until you've figured it all out. Just in the name of science, of course. :lol:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I assume you are wondering if it is a chrome diopside or a chrome tourmaline, right? Because regular green non-chrome bearing tourmaline should not look red under Chelsea filter, and chrome tourmaline would be red.

As to chrome diopside, the books say, light red, but I saw it being pretty red under the said filter.

I would still ask a gemologist. Maybe there will be more surprises?

ETA: could it be a demantoid? Not all of them look dispersive.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results