shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this bracelet fixable?

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
I sure hope so. I got a gold mesh bracelet as a graduation present and loved it till I lost it. I was so happy to find it till I saw this. I'm scared to wear it but I want to get it fixed - it has so much sentimental value. I hope its not a lost case.

Any suggestions?

goldbracelet 001.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
One of the jewelers here might advise you best, but I'd think (as a non-jeweler) that the closure ring & bar could be soldered on where it broke, removing the little extra bit. It would be a tad shorter, but if it fit you, perhaps could work. Nice bracelet, I can see why you're distressed.

Mednikow_Atlanta

Rough_Rock
Trade
What a great gift for graduation.

I will assume this bracelet has some age and has provided you with many years of enjoyment. This appears top be damage from extensive wear. We all forget that jewelry does have a useful life and does not last forever. But the question remains, "What do we do now?"

I have seen this type of problem before. Do not fix it at the spots where it is broken now as the repair will show and not look great. Check the bracelet at the same point on the opposite side of the clasp to see if it is wearing there as well. If it is also weak on the other side of the clasp, as I suspect, then the bracelet is reaching the end of it's useful life.

If that is the case then have the bracelet shortened on the broken side and the portion between the clasp and break removed. The broken ends should be cut off leaving a clean edge. Then have the new clean edge on reattached to the clasp.

This will probably not be possible if the links are thin/hollow or electroformed. The hollow links will not handle the stress.

Wear it gently if you do manage to get it repaired. Wear it only for special occassions, once or twice a month, and keep it safe as a family treasure and reminder of the love expressed to you on your graduation.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Jewelfreak and Mednikow_Atlanta,

No, its not worn on the other side. I know exactly how this break got started much to my shame. When I got my first job, I was trying to connect something to my computer and heard a crack. Apparently the gold touched an open electrical connection and I heard a pop. I didn't pay any more attention to it (I was young and dumb then) and I later noticed a small link missing from one side. I didn't take it in and lost it about a year later.

Now I'm finding it again and its much worse for wear. I'd like to get it fixed but I'm not sure what kind of jeweler to take it into or how much it would cost. I think the bracelet cost $200 so not much. Of course gold prices have gone up considerably but if the repairs are more than $200, it may not be worth it.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
someone with a laser welder could zap it back together no problem.
with a torch they might have to cut out the bad section.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results