shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this aquamarine?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
I bought this today (for $15) at a store that doesn''t deal in real jewelry. It''s a studio wardrobe resale shop, so they have a lot of junky costume stuff. I could see that the metal had a hallmark, but wasn''t wearing the right glasses to actually read it. Turns out it''s 12K gold filled... no big whoop, but what the heck. It was kind of pretty.

The stone is about 1/2" long, pale blue with a hint of green, in some lights.

brooch2.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Maybe it is, maybe it isn''t. No one can give you a definitive answer just based on a picture. That said, it is a lovely brooch. Based on price alone, my guess is synthetic or glass.

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
Oh well... I can put it on my chihuahua''s collar, I suppose. She''ll be muy caliente!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2008 1:47:26 PM
Author: Ninama
Oh well... I can put it on my chihuahua''s collar, I suppose. She''ll be muy caliente!
ROFLMAO!!! I''m sure she''ll be thrilled!!

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
It could be cheap topaz or a really bad zircon....I cant tell from the pic...but its more than likely not aqua....

jeffwhite

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/21/2008 1:47:26 PM
Author: Ninama
Ha! Reminds me of the Canon camera commercial with Maria Sherapova''s (sp??) spoiled, French-speaking doggie
2.gif

If you want a quick, cheap (or free if you know a generous gemologist) test, have someone put this puppy on a refractometer. If the stone''s table protrudes from the mounting (which it looks like it does), you should be able to get the RI directly, without removing the stone. Common glass has an RI significantly lower than beryl. While certain types of flint glass can match the RI, I doubt anyone went to this level of trouble if it is indeed a "fake." I would tell you to ship it to me, and I''d test it for you, but the round-trip shipping would cost as much or more than what you paid for the piece
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whatever it is, it''s pretty.

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Jeff and everyone. I think I''ll just assume it''s fake... it looks hot on the doggy.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results