shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this aqua worth setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

glitterkitter

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone. I''m new to the forum but I''ve lurked for sometime and decided to join because I have found this is the best place I think I could ever find to help educate myself on gemstones and to also learn the best places online to work with in being able to purchase nothing but the best quality in gems. I have purchased a aqua from a jeweler that is a family friend and was just hoping that you guys could help me decide if it''s worth setting or should I just file it back in my other gems and look for a better piece to set.

I''m really on the fence about it because of the cut. I like the checkerborad top but it seems like it''s missing something. So I will try to post some pictures so you guys can see the stone and please tell the truth and nothing but the truth. As time goes by everyone will learn that telling me the truth about a stone or a piece of jewelry wont break my heart or make me mad in any way, because sometimes the pretty colors confuse the mind!!! LOL!!!
2.gif

So here I go, I''ll try to post the pictures. . .
1.gif

aqua55.jpg

glitterkitter

Rough_Rock
YAY! Terrific I could post the pictures. I''m sorry that it''s not the best, I''ve learned it''s hard to take good pictures of stones. But here is another.

aqua77.jpg

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/15/2010 2:01:58 PM
Author:glitterkitter
Hi everyone. I''m new to the forum but I''ve lurked for sometime and decided to join because I have found this is the best place I think I could ever find to help educate myself on gemstones and to also learn the best places online to work with in being able to purchase nothing but the best quality in gems. I have purchased a aqua from a jeweler that is a family friend and was just hoping that you guys could help me decide if it''s worth setting or should I just file it back in my other gems and look for a better piece to set.

I''m really on the fence about it because of the cut. I like the checkerborad top but it seems like it''s missing something. So I will try to post some pictures so you guys can see the stone and please tell the truth and nothing but the truth. As time goes by everyone will learn that telling me the truth about a stone or a piece of jewelry wont break my heart or make me mad in any way, because sometimes the pretty colors confuse the mind!!! LOL!!!
2.gif

1.gif
I like checkerboard cuts. Its a pretty color, but from the picture it seems to have light saturation and a small window. If you love the stone though, then set it!

glitterkitter

Rough_Rock
I have a couple more . I must say that the clarity is amazing on this stone though.

aqua66.jpg

glitterkitter

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/15/2010 2:12:25 PM
Author: RockHugger

Date: 2/15/2010 2:01:58 PM
Author:glitterkitter

2.gif

1.gif
I like checkerboard cuts. Its a pretty color, but from the picture it seems to have light saturation and a small window. If you love the stone though, then set it!
Hi RockHugger!
35.gif

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, it does have a small window and a lighter saturation in the color but that doesn''t really bother me, the window bothers me more the the color. I do like the stone, but I still just don''t know. . .

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Its worth it if its a stone that you love, but I''m just a little confused by the first and third pictures. They don''t look like the typical aquamarine to me.

glitterkitter

Rough_Rock
All I know about the stone right now is that it''s a 8x6mm aqua checkerboard cut cushion shaped. That''s another reason why I want to learn the best places online to order from because he said that this stone came from China and I haven''t heard of aquamarine from there before. I probably just set it in sterling if I do at all , but I still might just file it away.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/15/2010 2:30:08 PM
Author: IndyLady
Its worth it if its a stone that you love, but I'm just a little confused by the first and third pictures. They don't look like the typical aquamarine to me.
My digi camera will over color blues like that in the right lighting. Thats what it looks like to me. that was my guess.

ETA Chinese aquamarine? Hmm...I wonder if its real aqua then.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're not sure then don't do anything at the moment. Live with it for a while. If you find yourself wishing it was set, that's the time to do it. Don't set anything you're not 100% sure about.

ETA there are lots of references on the web for Chinese Aqua.

glitterkitter

Rough_Rock
I really agree with what LovingDiamonds said, I don''t think I''ll do anything about it right now. I might take it to a local jeweler I''ve been told terrific things about when it comes to setting gems and let her take a look at it and tell me if it''s a aqua or not.

But I''m to thinking the camera gave the stone a different look to it then what it has in person, I do know that stones are super hard to take good pictures of and this is something I hope to get better at.

I''m thinking of going through the list of gemstone online sellers listed here and purchasing my next stones from them. This way I know that I''m getting just what I''m looking for. I want to give a big thanks to Rock Hugger, IndyLady, and LovingDiamonds for checking out the stone for me. Like I said, I''ve got a few stones, but haven''t really jumped into having any of them set yet. If I''m going to put good money in on gemstones and settings I want the best of the best. Thanks again guys!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results