shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this appraisal legit/trustworthy?

ieatbugs

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

I recently purchased a white gold ring with a tanzanite centerstone with two canary diamonds as sidestones and some small diamond chips down the side. I was mailed this appraisal:

appraisal.jpg

I am a little concerned because it lists the Total Carat WEight for the canary sidestones combined instead of a weight for each. Is this standard practice??

How do I determine if this is a legitimate appraisal? It was mailed to me by the jewelry store.

Also, who is the agency who can provide the lab report on stones that are set in rings for $65???

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
Looks to me like the stores own appraisal not one from a lab. I got a similar one for my cross.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Labs don't do appraisals, Elizabeth. They just issue reports on the gems: size, colour, clarity, treatment (if possible), provenance (sometimes), etc. Appraising is a whole different game, which depends on the market being analysed, the desirability of the piece, etc.

Ietabugs - have you looked up the appraiser? Check if he is an employee of the store or truly independent.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is little information on the appraisal as well - no notation about colouration, mm size and etc. Barely anything other than ct weight. The other that often bothers me about appraisals is this:
1. Conflict of interest. Appraisals are often done not be an independant 3rd party but by the vendor or some unknown somebody.
2. Lack of information (natural / synthetic, treatment, mm size, etc)
3. Over-inflated appraisal, based on retail pricing, not what it takes to replace the stone / ring.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Great points Chrono!
A seller supplied appraisal can be fine- but without a doubt, many are suspect.

There are indeed gemological labs offering appraisals by the way.
Of course the standard GIA diamond grading report ( white or fancy colored) don't include values, but EGL surely does include valuations on some of their reports- for what that's worth ( not a lot)

ieatbugs

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1349263021|3278557 said:
There is little information on the appraisal as well - no notation about colouration, mm size and etc. Barely anything other than ct weight. The other that often bothers me about appraisals is this:
1. Conflict of interest. Appraisals are often done not be an independant 3rd party but by the vendor or some unknown somebody.
3. Over-inflated appraisal, based on retail pricing, not what it takes to replace the stone / ring.

Yeah I agree. I plan to send it off to get one of those AGL Gem briefs to ensure that it is infact untreated tanzanite.

I'm just not sure what to do with this thing: should I use it to get it insured? It doesn't have much info and I was confused by that.

ieatbugs

Shiny_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1349231769|3278440 said:
Labs don't do appraisals, Elizabeth. They just issue reports on the gems: size, colour, clarity, treatment (if possible), provenance (sometimes), etc. Appraising is a whole different game, which depends on the market being analysed, the desirability of the piece, etc.

Ietabugs - have you looked up the appraiser? Check if he is an employee of the store or truly independent.

I tried to google for his name but nothing came up :(

AN0NYM0US

Shiny_Rock
ieatbugs|1349292937|3278783 said:

Yeah I agree. I plan to send it off to get one of those AGL Gem briefs to ensure that it is infact untreated tanzanite.

I'm just not sure what to do with this thing: should I use it to get it insured? It doesn't have much info and I was confused by that.

Often you can use the lab report and a receipt for insurance. Don't overpay on your premiums due to an inflated appraisal.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Is this an ebay ring? Tbh, If you only spent a few hundred dollars, I wouldn't even bother spending more money on an appraisal and shipping.

ieatbugs

Shiny_Rock
ForteKitty|1349295359|3278805 said:
Is this an ebay ring? Tbh, If you only spent a few hundred dollars, I wouldn't even bother spending more money on an appraisal and shipping.

No, it is a beautiful ring that was given to me as a gift by my boyfriend. It is the nicest piece of jewelry that I own and my first "real" piece so it is extremely sentimental to me.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah I agree. I plan to send it off to get one of those AGL Gem briefs to ensure that it is infact untreated tanzanite. I'm just not sure what to do with this thing: should I use it to get it insured? It doesn't have much info and I was confused by that.

Actually, almost all tanzanite is heated treated to get that beautiful violetish blue colour. My concern is really more about the yellow FCDs, wondering if they are natural or treated in some other fashion.

ieatbugs

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1349351857|3279188 said:
Yeah I agree. I plan to send it off to get one of those AGL Gem briefs to ensure that it is infact untreated tanzanite. I'm just not sure what to do with this thing: should I use it to get it insured? It doesn't have much info and I was confused by that.

Actually, almost all tanzanite is heated treated to get that beautiful violetish blue colour. My concern is really more about the yellow FCDs, wondering if they are natural or treated in some other fashion.

Ah, then to confirm it isn't synthetic tanzanite??? :)

I think the diamonds are at least not created: they have some imperfections so they don't look 'Too Perfect' like CZ.

ieatbugs

Shiny_Rock
Also, everyone, just to share...here's a picture of the darn thing, since I never posted it :D

This was taken indoors in my windowless bathroom. The lighting is more yellow so the purple looks slightly muddier and darker here but isn't totally off :)

I did take a photo that was pretty accurate in regards to color but the camer wasn't able to focus on the ring at all! So it was just a bunch of purple sparklies. Anyone else notice that? :)

tanzring.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think there are any synthetic tanzanites created yet although there are simulants. In this case, I think it highly unlikely to be a simulant as well. Looks like a very pretty ring. Your BF didn't do too badly at all.

ieatbugs

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1349354583|3279205 said:
I don't think there are any synthetic tanzanites created yet although there are simulants. In this case, I think it highly unlikely to be a simulant as well. Looks like a very pretty ring. Your BF didn't do too badly at all.

Thank you kindly, Chrono :) I was definitely nervous about the jewelry market in Aruba: I had been warned not to buy no matter what, and 99% of the stores had a pretty high markup with pretty poor cuts but this guy was totally reasonable and I will always treasure it as a reminder of my first beach trip and our first "serious" vacation as a couple. :)

SB621

Ideal_Rock

Honestly it is a beautiful ring but I wouldn't bother to insure it. Or if you have a blanket jewelry insurance just put it under that. For example I have a blanket jewelry insurance that will cover any 1 piece I have that is under 5k.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To decide if the appraisal is accurate you need to break down the cost:-

1. Tanzanites under 1ct are not madly expensive. Let's say yours is a good colour and the .94ct is accurate. The stone is probably worth $400-$500.

2. The yellow diamonds wth a total carat weight of 0.13ct are not going to be more than about $250 to buy.

3. The white diamonds are also small but have good clarity and a decent colour, so let's say another $250.

4. The setting is 14k white gold and the gram weight is probably around 3g. To buy without the stones it's probably around $400.

So you have a total of $1,400. If you were to buy the entire ring (and I can only speak from a UK perspective) you would probably find this for that price (or less). However, the very top line that you can just see on the appraisal suggests this could be an evaluation for replacement purposes so it basically adds all the above plus time for a jeweller to source the stones and make it from scratch. So the replacement valuation is on the high side but would allow you to get an equivalent ring if it was lost.

If this is a valuation that indicates the "worth" then it's on the high side.

I don't know if that helps but at the end of the day it's a pretty ring so enjoy wearing it!

txgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful ring!!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
LD|1349383101|3279491 said:

1. Tanzanites under 1ct are not madly expensive. Let's say yours is a good colour and the .94ct is accurate. The stone is probably worth $400-$500.

2. The yellow diamonds wth a total carat weight of 0.13ct are not going to be more than about $250 to buy.

3. The white diamonds are also small but have good clarity and a decent colour, so let's say another $250.

4. The setting is 14k white gold and the gram weight is probably around 3g. To buy without the stones it's probably around $400.

So you have a total of $1,400. If you were to buy the entire ring (and I can only speak from a UK perspective) you would probably find this for that price (or less). However, the very top line that you can just see on the appraisal suggests this could be an evaluation for replacement purposes so it basically adds all the above plus time for a jeweller to source the stones and make it from scratch. So the replacement valuation is on the high side but would allow you to get an equivalent ring if it was lost.

I don't know if that helps but at the end of the day it's a pretty ring so enjoy wearing it!

LD you are my hero!!! Completely random but I just love your posts!

ieatbugs

Shiny_Rock
LD|1349383101|3279491 said:

Perfecto! Glad to know I didn't overpay. :)

Thank you for the analysis!

I am wondering if I should get another evaluation done for insurance purposes, since I don't want to overpay if they won't replace for that much $$ anyways. :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think an additional evaluation is necessary. This paper and your receipt should be sufficient.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results