shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this an OEC or transitional or......?

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I am interested in this ring and it has been advertised as a yellow OEC with a small culet. I have asked the question to the vendor about the certification of the diamond and he responds with:

"The diamond is not certified. However, we 100% guarantee it is accurately graded and described by GIA standards."

It needs to be resized, however, my jeweller is away on holidays and awaiting him to open his email to see if he can resize it for me... fingers crossed....

So, I am wondering fellow PSers out there, what their opinion is with this diamond on the following:
1) if it is an OEC or something else?
2) the colour of the OEC...I am only new to colour so i assume that you can get any gem in any colour you want as long as you can pay for it. eg the pink!!!!! OR is the diamond a Y/Z colour.

I am only new to the old cuts and have read alot and seen alot but i could not tell with this one.

Thanx for helping out..

yellow_oec.jpg

D

Deactivated member 42515

Greg, if you get this moved to RT, it may get more traffic ;-)

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I saw that the last time it was listed and thought it was a bit overpriced due to the champagne/brown tint. It looks about Q-R in color and Transitional cut. I personally prefer a solid yellow tint in that color range.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gregchang35|1357294494|3346983 said:
I am interested in this ring and it has been advertised as a yellow OEC with a small culet. I have asked the question to the vendor about the certification of the diamond and he responds with:

"The diamond is not certified. However, we 100% guarantee it is accurately graded and described by GIA standards."

Since a stone can't be accurately graded for colour or clarity whilst set - certainly not in a very enclosed setting like that, any 100% guarantees are 100% BS. But hey, who's nitpicking...

It needs to be resized, however, my jeweller is away on holidays and awaiting him to open his email to see if he can resize it for me... fingers crossed....

So, I am wondering fellow PSers out there, what their opinion is with this diamond on the following:
1) if it is an OEC or something else?
2) the colour of the OEC...I am only new to colour so i assume that you can get any gem in any colour you want as long as you can pay for it. eg the pink!!!!! OR is the diamond a Y/Z colour.
You'd need to take it out of the setting and have an appraiser look at it to determine *exactly* what colour it is, I think. Distinctions between W/X, Y/Z, light are pretty muddled anyway - it's not an exact science. Interesting reading if you want more info:
https://www.pricescope.com/journal/how-evaluate-fancy-vivid-yellow-diamond
http://www.octonus.com/oct/projects/fancycolor.phtml

I am only new to the old cuts and have read alot and seen alot but i could not tell with this one.
Decent symmetry, very short LGF and a giant pav, judging by that table reflection. No culet to speak of that I can see. Early MRB?

Thanx for helping out..

Ditto, move it to RT and maybe Dreamer or ForteKitty will see it.

ETA: late - FK already caught it! I'd trust her opinions, personally.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Yssie! ::) I didn't see a culet either, but there is a tiny absence of a joint (in another picture) where the culet is supposed to be, so I assumed it was there. It could be an early MRB as well. That period was so muddled that I can't tell most of the time. If it's not an European cut or a MRB, I put it in the Transitional category. :bigsmile:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ForteKitty|1357313748|3347150 said:
Thanks Yssie! ::) I didn't see a culet either, but there is a tiny absence of a joint (in another picture) where the culet is supposed to be, so I assumed it was there. It could be an early MRB as well. That period was so muddled that I can't tell most of the time. If it's not an European cut or a MRB, I put it in the Transitional category. :bigsmile:

Huh - good to know!
I assumed the transition happened pretty linearly but from this it sounds like there might have been a decent amount of overlap where people were cutting OECs/transitionals/MRBs/whateverelses simultaneously..?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
That's what some local jewelers and appraisers have been telling me. I've seen various combos of: tiny table/tiny culet, tiny table/big culet, big table/big culet, big table/tiny culet, all with varying crown height. If it was linear, it would go from tiny table/big culet/high crown of the OECs to a bigger table/no culet of the MRBs. Of course I'm just trying to justify what I've seen, but that makes sense to me.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ForteKitty|1357320895|3347273 said:
That's what some local jewelers and appraisers have been telling me. I've seen various combos of: tiny table/tiny culet, tiny table/big culet, big table/big culet, big table/tiny culet, all with varying crown height. If it was linear, it would go from tiny table/big culet/high crown of the OECs to a bigger table/no culet of the MRBs. Of course I'm just trying to justify what I've seen, but that makes sense to me.

That must be fun, trying to sort out the order of all of that! We need another "time-indeterminate hodgepodge" category... or rather, I guess that's what your Transitional is for ::)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1357311687|3347135 said:
I saw that the last time it was listed and thought it was a bit overpriced due to the champagne/brown tint. It looks about Q-R in color and Transitional cut. I personally prefer a solid yellow tint in that color range.

I agree 100%.

This seller is the same as empire26, and that particular vendor has been very loose in color grading.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1357321533|3347285 said:
ForteKitty|1357320895|3347273 said:

That must be fun, trying to sort out the order of all of that! We need another "time-indeterminate hodgepodge" category... or rather, I guess that's what your Transitional is for ::)

Exactly :lol:

For what its worth, I like the cut of this stone's jib. I bet its really flashy and bright in person. The color may be quite different is unset. If you are int erested, OP, then call the seller and make an offer. See what happens.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
YT|1357307421|3347067 said:
Greg, if you get this moved to RT, it may get more traffic ;-)

After I posted, I saw it was in hangout and requested for it to be moved to RT, but it's the w/end and they may do it on Monday? But happy so far with the responses!!! Thanx guys/ PSers! :appl:

Yssie, Forekitty and Dreamer d- Thanx so much for input! Forever learning from you guys.

Lots to think about....

Another question Forekitty or anyone else for that matter- if you were interested and knowing that they have overpriced and overstated the diamond, what would you offer?

Edited: typos

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I'm not familiar with champagne color old cut pricing, but for me, $150 off their opening price seems fair. You are in Australia, right? It is a hassle to deal with International shipping returns, so I'd probably see if they'd take $200+ off. Any less than that, I'd have to be absolutely positive I'm keeping it, or else I wont deal with the hassle.

Are you looking for an European cut or a Transitional cut?

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1357378204|3347881 said:
I'm not familiar with champagne color old cut pricing, but for me, $150 off their opening price seems fair. You are in Australia, right? It is a hassle to deal with International shipping returns, so I'd probably see if they'd take $200+ off. Any less than that, I'd have to be absolutely positive I'm keeping it, or else I wont deal with the hassle.

Are you looking for an European cut or a Transitional cut?

Thanx for that. I was originally looking for an OEC, but the colour of this one got me- i also loooveee champagne, the drink!!! The whole ring actually got me. So while it isn't an OEC, I was prepared to seriously look at this and then change my original idea.

Yes, I am in Australia, good memory!! the hassle of the int'l shipping charges/ taxes for AUS, and the refund did cross my mind.

It's Saturday night now and will sleep on the idea over the w/end. I have been dreaming about this ring alot!!! My jeweler comes back from holidays on Monday, to make sure that resizing is possible.

Any other considerations about this ring before I make the final decision?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results