shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a transitional cut diamond?

cacaobeanie

Rough_Rock
D24B138E-F575-47DB-9888-F35AEF08208B.jpeg

I have purchased this ring. The listing for it wasn’t specific, am I right in thinking it’s a transitional cut?

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some sort of old cut from the look - what’s the profile and table size/crown height like? Nice pic tho that chip is a little bit eye catching in the close up..

cacaobeanie

Rough_Rock
B4A3988E-341E-4550-B8AA-1C98D08BF43F.jpeg

Unfortunately I don’t have any decent profile pics, and it’s not certified so no measurements either. The crown didn’t look very high to me. I’ve sent it off for the chip to be polished out and the jeweller provided the photos, I thought from the facet pattern it looked similar to transitionals I have admired on LAD & JBG. But really I don’t have a clue!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks pretty tall to me but also like it’s got a bigger table than a classic OEC (which you can see in the first pic) so my guess is late OEC/early transitional. It looks pretty great - I really love the petals under the table..

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think foxinsox is right. And, it is a beautiful diamond. Would love to see the after pics when it’s done.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think @foxinsox is right on point, it looks tall to me for a transitional, a picture with light reflecting off the table would probably indicate a large table, the faceting is yummy :lickout:

cacaobeanie

Rough_Rock
Thanks, yes I thought the table was too big for an OEC and also that the culet is smaller? By looking at old cut diamonds online I always thought I would love an OEC but when I saw this one in person I totally fell in love, I don’t know a lot about old cuts but it looks stunning to me.

I think foxinsox is right. And, it is a beautiful diamond. Would love to see the after pics when it’s done.

Thanks I’ll post the pics when I get it back :)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
D24B138E-F575-47DB-9888-F35AEF08208B.jpeg

I have purchased this ring. The listing for it wasn’t specific, am I right in thinking it’s a transitional cut?

As you probably know, the term "transitional cut" is very broad and imprecise. It covers a wide range of cut styles over a relatively long period of time as technological advanced swept the diamond cutting industry during the first 30 to 40 years of the last century. I do think your diamond falls into that category based on the slightly larger table (looks to be at least 50%), the slightly longer lower girdle halves (looks like they might be in the 60-65% range), the smaller culet, and the nice optical symmetry and roundness of the stone. Those were all skills that emerged later in the development of diamond cutting. I would need to see a better picture to be certain, and especially see if it displays arrows, but it has many of the qualities of the early ideal cut.

Make sure that whoever polishes does NOT mess with the facet pattern!

Some good techy talk about this period of diamonds and lots of images here:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/got-early-modern-round-brilliant.180926/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results