shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a top quality moonstone?

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
:shock: I don't know enough about moonstone to speak to quality, but that sure is pretty!

Does anyone know how moonstones hold up to faceting? Do they require special care like faceted opals?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently became interested in moonstones, after realizing it's my son's birthstone.

Is this an example of a top quality moonstone? I love the slightly milky translucency and the glow from within blue sheen.

Would it look this magical in all light sources, or only in certain ones?

Thanks for your help!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BrnQbRkjt_k/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=4jihmdhhsye0

This is the vendor I just purchased my moonstones from, but haven't gotten them yet. But he's very nice and responsive. I'll update people when I receive them!

@elliefire99 I believe moonstone holds up fine to faceting, but they are relatively soft so not good for daily ring wear

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@elliefire99 I believe moonstone holds up fine to faceting, but they are relatively soft so not good for daily ring wear
This 100%. You can help protect them with a wide bezel perimeter and avoiding loaf-shapes with a high profile. But, they generally take a beating. They are wonderful for pendants.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Best for pendant. If as a ring, definitely baby it as an occasional wear ring.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
This is the vendor I just purchased my moonstones from, but haven't gotten them yet. But he's very nice and responsive. I'll update people when I receive them!

Do you have his contact details? Or do I have to give him mine on Instagram? Thank you.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have his contact details? Or do I have to give him mine on Instagram? Thank you.
We spoke on Instagram only. He emailed me an invoice, but all other communication was insta private message.

GlitterInMyHair

Brilliant_Rock
@lovedogs
Did you receive your moonstone yet? What are your thoughts on quality?

Thanks!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I’m so glad you got a cabochon. which is better suited to a ring. Moonstone is one of my favorite gems, and yours is so ethereal.
Thanks! I love them! Will be a while before I set it, but am really happy with the quality.

Reactions: T L

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really love the setting with the blue sapphires. If you do decide on that one, it will really make the stone pop. Black spinels would also be lovely as a halo frame.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really love the setting with the blue sapphires. If you do decide on that one, it will really make the stone pop. Black spinels would also be lovely as a halo frame.
lol you are reading my mind! I was also thinking about framing with black spinel/onyx. I'll almost certainly choose one of the two styles--just need to save $ and decide on a vendor, etc.

Reactions: T L

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just got through messaging Yvonne about sourcing me a faceted moonstone, lol! She's going to find me a 6 mm faceted moonstone. I'll probably put it in a round camellia ring or a three stone hexagon ring. None of my gemstone rings get daily wear, so I should be fine so long as I take reasonable precautions.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results