shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good diamond?

goosefraba

Rough_Rock
I don't know much about diamonds, but the price I've been given for this one seems to be pretty good for the quality of the diamond (I've been offered about 2400 for the stone).

It has an EGL certification, and is .97 carat pear shaped diamond.

Here are the specs:

Measurements: 7.48 x 5.57 x 3.87 mm

Depth: 69.5%
Table: 62%
Crown: 13.1%
Pavilion: 48.3%
Girdle: Very thin to very thick
Faceted
None

Finish
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good

Clarity Grade: SI2

Color Grade: F

If anyone could help me out with this decision, I would really appreciate it!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome! :wavey:

Nevermind!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yikes, I wrote all that and just reread that it is a PEAR! So all of what I wrote above is for rounds!

Go to James Allen to search for pears! That way you have photos and we can help you narrow those down visually.

You want GIA graded stones. EGL is not as reliable. Avoid very thin on a girdle unless the stone is going to be set in a bezel or low in a halo. Very thin girdles can chip more easily. Thick isn't good either because you don't want weight hidden in that area. You want a good diameter. Stick with very good or excellent on polish and symmetry.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just noting that the OP said this is a PEAR shaped stone. :)

That said, some still holds true - stick with GIA if you can, as EGL's color and clarity grades can be several shades / grades off. GIA does not grade the cut quality of any shape other than rounds, so if you see a cut grade associated with a pear it has been assigned arbitrarily by the person selling it to you - so beware.

You really need to try to avoid bowties and "mushy" points.

You can not buy fancy shapes by the numbers - you have to get some light performance images, preferably an ASET. If you take a look at James Allen, they have videos of all their stones - you can see if there is a bowtie present or mushiness in the point. Once you find a stone you like the looks of, put it on hold and request a gemologists review and ASET images. You can do this for up to 3 stones, so be careful which ones you ask for. Or go through Good Old Gold - tell them what you want and let them do the dirty work.

There are several marquis / pear aficionados here that will be happy to help you out - be patient; they'll come.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results