shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good diamond, I''m confused

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kathristin

Rough_Rock
I thought I did enough diamond research, but apparently not. This is the diamond I''m thinking about purchasing:

Carat: 0.7
Girdle - Thin to Thick, faceted
Culet - None
Polish - Good
Symmetry - Good
Color - H
Florescence - None
Clarity - VS1
5.6x5.64x3.5
Table % - 60
Depth % - 62.3
Pavilion Depth - 42.6%
Crown Depth - 13.7%
Pavilion Angle - 40.7
Crown Angle - 33.2

The proportions really confuse me because the only way they would add up to the total depth percentage if if the girdle thickness was 6%.
I emailed Fred Cuellar on the diamond and he said it was an off make because the depth was more than 61%, but AGS considers anything under 63% ideal...what gives???

The price of the stone, with the report is $2,400. Is this a good stone? Is this a good price?

I was also concerned about the H color. I didn''t really notice any color until the jeweler put it next to an E stone. I want a platinum setting, will it work?

Also is it bad that the polish and symmetry are only good? I''ve heard that you can''t tell the differences between good and excellent with the naked eye.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks so much

Kristin
New Jersey

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
The proportions really confuse me because the only
way they would add up to the total depth percentage
if if the girdle thickness was 6%.
-----------

Actually, that would be about right. The workup on this stone indicates it probably is about a 4.2% thickness at the thickest part of it's "valleys", which is where the girdle measurement is taken. You'd add approximately another 1.7% to arrive at the thickest portion of it's "peaks", hence arriving at or about your 6% figure.

-----------
I emailed Fred Cuellar on the diamond and he said
it was an off make because the depth was more than
61%, but AGS considers anything under 63%
ideal...what gives???
-----------

AGA also lists 58.7 to 62.3% as being in the 1A (ideal) range for total depth. What gives is that Fred is confused, and tends to confuse others.

-----------
The price of the stone, with the report is $2,400.
-----------

An excellent price for this stone.

-----------
Is this a good stone?
-----------

The cut is respectable, commanding an AGA 2B Cut Class grade, which is described as an "international fine trade cut", and which I would describe in laymen's terms as a "good to very good" make. Not Ideal, but then again not fair, or poor.

The light return performance is actually pretty good. The DiamCalc software indicates it as possibly being in the following ranges:

Light Return (mono)…...: 0.97 Very Good
Light Return (stereo)…..: 0.98 Very Good
(Non) Leakage (mono)..: 0.92 Very Good to Good
(Non) Leakage (stereo).: 0.97 Very Good
Contrast............................: 0.96 Very Good
(Non) FishEye Effect…...: 1.00 Very Good

-----------
I was also concerned about the H color. I didn't
really notice any color until the jeweler put it
next to an E stone. I want a platinum setting, will
it work?
-----------

Designated "near colorless", H color was for many years called "commercial white" by dealers and was considered the start, or cornerstone of the investment grade market of old, when combined with VS2 clarity or better. It's a nice color, which will work well in platinum.

-----------
Also is it bad that the polish and symmetry are
only good? I've heard that you can't tell the
differences between good and excellent with the
naked eye.
-----------

Although connoiseurs prefer "very good" or "excellent" on the polish and symmetry, the truth is that with the naked eye 99.7% of viewers would never spot the difference.

If you like it, I see no reason not to buy it. If you buy with the stipulation that it appraises out to your satisfaction by an independent appraiser, you can't lose.

Rich

I've also attached a DiamCalc computer simulated IdealScope image which gives you a visual picture of the light return performance of this diamond. The 33.2' crown angle combined with the 40.7' pavilion angle makes for a very respectable performance.

-----------
IdealScope- In general, the darker pink areas indicate areas of greater light return, with the lighter pink areas indicating areas of lesser light return. The black areas indicate areas of greater contrast, with the gray areas indicating areas of lesser contrast. The white areas indicate areas of light leakage. A good explanation of the IdealScope image along with examples can be found at https://www.pricescope.com/idealscope_indx.asp

Disclaimer- The facet arrangement and symmetry of the image will probably vary from your actual diamond, which may affect the light performance indicated. The computer generates an image with “perfect” symmetry, which is rare. Also, the star/lower girdle facet lengths may be different from your diamond. The computer simulation is reproduced best when the actual diamond is being viewed and the image "tweaked" to the appearance of the diamond, or Sarin info is downloaded directly into the program. However, this "blind" reproduction should be helpful in considering the major light performance aspects..
-----------

0.70 RBC III.jpg

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
100% ditto on Rich... Sounds like a nice non ideal diamond...

Kathristin

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for the in-depth reply.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results