shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good deal?

sammothekim

Rough_Rock
Hi all, new to the PriceScope forums, but I've enjoyed reading for the last couple of weeks!

I'm working with a local vendor in the DC area and wanted to check to see if you all thought this was a good deal for a diamond. I've seen the diamond in person (It was the first one I've seen in person) He offered it for $4000.

The GIA Report # is 2186755956

It is a 0.90 carat Oval
Color is H
Clarity is SI1 (Eye Clean as far as my eyes could see)
Polish is VG
Symmetry is VG
No Fluorescence

Table % 59
Depth% 60.8
Cutlet None
Slightly Thick to very thick girdle (faceted)
Measurements 7.32x5.59x3.40mm

Overall it has a minimal bow tie effect and is pretty.

My mom also had a connection to a jeweler and just spoke to him. He is offering the following for $3600. Are there any issues with this one?

GIA Report #5172867144
It is a 0.92 carat Oval
Color is H
Clarity is VS2
Polish VG
Symmetry G
No Fluorescence

Table % 55
Depth % 71.2 (This is where I'm a little concerned, although he said that it doesn't matter in an oval)
Cutlet None
Girdle medium - extremely thick (faceted)
Measurements 7.73 x 5.16 x 3.68mm

Mom said it had a very small bow tie and a good shape.

Looking forward to hearing your guys' wisdom!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

sammothekim

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I've looked at a lot of ovals on James Allen before I went and thought that it looked good (the H, SI1) Would $4000 be about right assuming it was a good stone?

Are the settings well made at James Allen? The jeweler I had gone to seemed to have a poor opinion of how they made their settings. (although I'm sure as a brick and mortar store, they all say that)

I am looking at something like this.
https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/side-stones/18k-yellow-gold-054ct-common-prong-round-shaped-diamond-engagement-ring-item-2414

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sammothekim|1478381012|4094219 said:
Thanks! I've looked at a lot of ovals on James Allen before I went and thought that it looked good (the H, SI1) Would $4000 be about right assuming it was a good stone?

Yes, $4k would be resonable.

Are the settings well made at James Allen? The jeweler I had gone to seemed to have a poor opinion of how they made their settings. (although I'm sure as a brick and mortar store, they all say that)

What kind of setting are you talking about...of course your jeweler is going to talk them down. However, depending on what settings
you are talking about I'm not thrilled with them either. Particularly the haloed rings...but post the one you are looking at if any.

I have a setting (solitaire) from JA and it was everything I expected. The quality is good for the price.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sammothekim|1478381657|4094223 said:

I dont have a problem with that one. The setting is 2.2mm wide which is a nice width (vs 1.7mm).

Does your local jeweler have any brand name settings that are similar for around the same price? Might be worth asking. JA also
has a good return policy if the setting ends up not being what you expected. Ask the jeweler what his return policy is...make sure
he'll put it in writing just in case you want to return.

https://www.jamesallen.com/faq/ look under return policy

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results