shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good deal?

eesmom

Shiny_Rock
Hello all, this is my first post and after lurking for a while, I wanted to ask your advice, input on this ring that my DH and I are considering.

The color is G, VVS2, 1.42 ct Tiffany & Co lucida
The proportions are 6.40 x 6.39 x 4.01 mm.

I think they were asking 12,500 for it and had all of the paperwork and etc from T and Co.
We offered them 11,500.

What are your honest thoughts? I haven''t really tried to get emotionally involved into it yet just because I am not sure if we will get it or not. But I wanted to know if it is a good diamond just on the info on the diamond.

Thanks in advance!

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have the crown angle, pavilion angle, table, and depth? Lower half numbers will help also.

eesmom

Shiny_Rock
no, that was all of the info that there was. is that bad to not have that info? I feel like my husband was ready to jump on it just because it was Tiffany. But are all Tiffany diamonds excellent?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
No point in asking for those information, crown, pavilion angles etc, as lucida is a fancy cut.

Can''t really tell you anything from the numbers are there is no way to say about the cut performance from just numbers for a fancy cut.

eesmom

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/11/2010 10:59:53 AM
Author: Stone-cold11
No point in asking for those information, crown, pavilion angles etc, as lucida is a fancy cut.

Can''t really tell you anything from the numbers are there is no way to say about the cut performance from just numbers for a fancy cut.

Does that mean then you won''t really know the "performance" of the diamond until you see it?

Thanks again!

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2010 11:06:09 AM
Author: eesmom
Date: 6/11/2010 10:59:53 AM

Author: Stone-cold11

Can't really tell you anything from the numbers are there is no way to say about the cut performance from just numbers for a fancy cut.

Does that mean then you won't really know the 'performance' of the diamond until you see it?

Thanks again!

As Stone mentioned, the Lucida is a fancy cut, and a proprietary cut, by Tiffany & Co. As to the bolded part of your post, well, you won't be able to judge the performance of this particular diamond until you see it, but have you seen other Tiffany Lucida rings before (in Tiffany's or elsewhere)? Do you like the look of the cut? If so, I think you can be fairly sure that if indeed this ring is authentic Tiffany, it will "perform" or appear the same as other Tiffany Lucida stones.

If you are comfortable with the price and the Lucida cut, and the ring is authentic, it sounds like you'll be happy with this purchase!

eesmom

Shiny_Rock
Thanks SaraPJ, I actually have another lucida .84 H VS1 that my husband got for my 7 yr anniversary. This is an upgrade for our 10 yr. I do like the lucida but had been thinking since I have a lucida already, to get a different shape. But my husband really likes to go with a name since he can be assured of quality. So I think we might be sacrificing on the size of the stone (would have loved to have gotten a 1.7 and above Asscher or emerald cut) to get a Tiffany diamond.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2010 12:34:38 PM
Author: eesmom
Thanks SaraPJ, I actually have another lucida .84 H VS1 that my husband got for my 7 yr anniversary. This is an upgrade for our 10 yr. I do like the lucida but had been thinking since I have a lucida already, to get a different shape. But my husband really likes to go with a name since he can be assured of quality. So I think we might be sacrificing on the size of the stone (would have loved to have gotten a 1.7 and above Asscher or emerald cut) to get a Tiffany diamond.

That's great that you already have a Lucida -- it's my favorite Tiffany cut/design -- lucky you! The jump from .84 to 1.4 will be quite noticeable on your hand, and it sounds like you may get a great price on the ring.

But if you like asscher cuts, and if your husband is open to suggestion, and if the idea of quality appeals to him as well as the exclusivity of owning something that very few people own right now, consider the Octavia cut from Good Old Gold:
link
Do a search for "Octavia" on Pricescope to see pictures of this cut and to find out how it was developed by one of the members of this forum in conjunction with a well-respected diamond cutter. Good Old Gold can tell you if they are expecting any larger sizes in soon, and what the price range would be.

Just a thought...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results