shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good deal?

bibiloves

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone,

I don''t post much on colored stones but I love to lurk around here. I tried on this ring last week at a local jewelrer and it is on sale for about $390. According to their website, the Citrine is 4.33tw and the melees are proably .15tw. The stone looks huge on my finger (i''m a size 4.25 I think) but I like it. Please let me know if I should get it or not?

cleardot.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
1-don''t have a picture so don''t know.
2-doesn''t matter what we think if you like it.
3-WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF COLOR! once bitten, you never turn back and will always want more.
4-most here don''t buy at store front shops.
5-even on sale the mark up is great on store front shop jewelry.
6-it could be a great bargain but citrine isn''t an expensive stone to begin with.
7-what is their return policy if you get it home and decide you don''t like it?
8-again, can''t say this enough: what counts is if you like it.

mz

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/4/2010 11:54:04 AM
Author: movie zombie
1-don''t have a picture so don''t know.
2-doesn''t matter what we think if you like it.
3-WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF COLOR! once bitten, you never turn back and will always want more.
4-most here don''t buy at store front shops.
5-even on sale the mark up is great on store front shop jewelry.
6-it could be a great bargain but citrine isn''t an expensive stone to begin with.
7-what is their return policy if you get it home and decide you don''t like it?
8-again, can''t say this enough: what counts is if you like it.

mz
Seconded on everything.
2.gif

Jim Rentfrow

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I agree with what was said before me. The biggest thing to realize too is only you can set your own standard on value. What I like I am more inclined to pay higher prices for and still feel I got a good value. While citrine and other quartz is usually pretty inexpensive, if you like the material and pay more then it might be a good a value for you even when others do not feel the same way.

bibiloves

Shiny_Rock
I attached the pic but I don''t know how to insert on the post. Help? You should see the file on the bottom of my post. Thanks everyone for your advices so far :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Citrines are very inexpensive stones, and many are heat treated to get that color or synthesized, so maybe $10/ct, so I would discount the value of the stone and consider if the price is fair for the metal and the diamonds, workmanship. If it's a cast setting like they make in China, it seems a fair price. Is the gold l4K or higher? Is it a lightweight setting? 15 points of melee are not going to be worth much either.

You know, they are synthesizing quartz family gems so much that who knows if it's even natural, in which case, I would really discount the value of the gem. Even natural citrines aren't worth much, even in better colors. If you buy one for a high price, it's typically because you're paying for some precision faceting work by an expert lapidary.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BTW, I''m looking on ebay at a setting with the same amount of melees and in 14K gold for just shy of $200. LOGR is an ebay seller that makes very affordable semi-mounts, and he sometimes sells them with stones like citrines (if they''re natural or synthetic, that''s another story).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results