shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good choice?

KirstLWA

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have been offered this 3ct stone but the proportions are different to what I have seen as the norm. They are:

Depth - 62.5%
Table - 55%
Crown - 32
Pav - 41.8

And here is the aset.

Aset.jpg

Would love your thoughts!

Thanks.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
crown is really low. Did you run the numbers through the HCA tool? Can you get an idealscope or ASET? You have hearts/arrows viewer (and I dont love it).

KirstLWA

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Ah, ok, not sure of the terminology. Just saw red so thought it was an aset.

I ran the numbers through HCA and it was 4.9 and when I mentioned this to the person selling the stone they dismissed the tool as not great and to trust in their experience.

Starting to not enjoy this diamond searching caper. Nothing is what it seems. :(2:wall:

princessk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
is the stone in front of you? How does it look? Im also on the same hunt and yes its not easy But Ive learned a lot here.

KirstLWA

Shiny_Rock
Premium
No, I don't have the stone, just images but I'm not educated enough to choose off a photo and the hca tool is contradicting the ''experts'' opinion so I just don't know what or who to trust!

There aren't many stones in my size available so if they call something in, I have to have decided to buy it first.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I don't have the stone, just images but I'm not educated enough to choose off a photo and the hca tool is contradicting the ''experts'' opinion so I just don't know what or who to trust!

There aren't many stones in my size available so if they call something in, I have to have decided to buy it first.
I get that it seems intimidating but look at it this way in terms of working out who to trust. The PS prosumers have got no skin in the game other than enjoying finding diamonds for people. We don't profit cos you're not buying from us.
Your jeweler is profiting from whichever stone you buy from them. They are not an objective participant in this process. The HCA is an objective tool to help you sort between "no, don't even bother" and "do some more evaluation" stones. I would take your jeweler's opinion on stones which objectively come back as likely to have poor light return, with a big grain of salt. All stones look great in jewelry store lights cos they're set up specifically to make them look amazing. You don't live in a jewelry store so you want something that looks amazing in all the lighting you live in.
Maybe give your jeweler the "cheat sheet" for staying on or around ideal/Tolkowsky ideal (lifted from a post of DS2006's so hopefully it's right) and tell them to not bother with stones that don't meet these parameters. You're spending a lot of money with them. Make them start working for you and stop making it a miserable stressful process for you. You're buying a honking diamond. That should be fun!
"depth - 60 - 62%
table - 54- 57%
crown angle - 34- 35 degrees
pavilion angle - 40.6- 41 degrees
girdle - thin to slightly thick, thin to medium, etc (avoid very thin or thick)
polish and symmetry - very good and above

note - with crown and pavilion angles at the shallower ends ( CA 34- PA 40.6) and steeper ( CA 35- PA 41) check to make sure these angles complement in that particular diamond - eyeballs, Idealscope, trusted vendor input - check as appropriate!

Also, configurations depend on each other. A little give here can still work with a little take there.

With that said, here''s a "Cliff''s Notes" for staying near Tolkowsky/ideal angles with GIA reports (their numbers are rounded): A crown angle of 34.0, 34.5 or 35.0 is usually safe with a 40.8 pavilion angle. If pavilion angle = 40.6 lean toward a 34.5-35.0 crown. If pavilion angle = 41 lean toward a 34.0-34.5 crown."

KirstLWA

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you Foxinsox. I think that is a great idea. To give the parameters to them, rather than having to say oh that is more than 2, reject haha.

Thanks.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand you are feeling stuck between a rock and a hard place. Do you have to "buy" every stone you want to bring in to view, or only certain ones? My B&M had a lot of reach, so there were only some stones that required my actual purchase before they could bring it in. For example, if they didn't know the supplier of a certain stone, they required that I purchase it.

If you purchased it, can you return it for a 100% refund, if you didn't like it?

If your B&M is giving you a hard time about the stones you have suggested, I think you need to push them. Mine would say, "That one is no good. It's got dark inclusions." If the stone meets all your other criteria, it's possible you aren't able to even see the small dark inclusions. It would be worth a look. Tell them that you understand it but you still want to see it. Don't let them "discourage" you by giving you their expert opinion. They kept telling me that no one likes to buy AGS in the U.S. Right. Whatever. Bring it in anyway.
Do you absolutely have to go with them? Are you upgrading and can only do so with them? I would definitely keep an open mind with other options.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you mind fluorescence?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, here are some from Bluenile that passed the HCA test, and that are pretty close to PS parameters. Don't know what you thought about fluor. I had to go down to a H because I ran the test on all the Gs, that didn't look like it was peppered, and nothing was close enough.

Attachments

• GIA 1.pdf
    702.8 KB · Views: 25
  • GIA2.pdf
    706.7 KB · Views: 25
  • GIA3.pdf
    697 KB · Views: 30

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some from James Allen. Some of these fall slightly out of the PS parameters, but still worth viewing I think. Given that there are some your B&M may not be able to access, it's better to have more options than less.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...h-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3417896

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...h-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-4277441

I really like this one, except not sure how you feel about fluor and whether your B&M will bring one in.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...g-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3760067

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...f-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3495417

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results