shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a fair price for a 3 stone ruby and diamond ring?

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello!
I am interested in this ring on Ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130678542955?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
I have three questions about it..
First.. it seems to be a very light colored ruby.. is it possible it's a pink sapphire?
Also.. when Tiffany made ruby jewelry back in the day did they only use rubies from Burma?
Lastly.. in your smart opinions.. is that a good price?
Thanks to the experts in advance.. I totally appreciate it!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Is this a fair price for a 3 stone ruby and diamond ring

Well, it is not the lightness but the fuchsia color that makes me think pink sapphire over ruby. But I am no expert on rubies! I am a fan of Tiffany rings, but the price is a bit high if it is a sapphire. I don't think I'd bid more than $5000.

Actually, here is one with a ruby. Most of the ruby rings I have seen from them have yellow gold prongs on the ruby.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tiffany-Co-PLAT-Gem-Ruby-Diamond-3-Stone-Ring-/230712068452?pt=Designer_Jewelry&hash=item35b782c964#ht_666wt_702

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1334372839|3170682 said:
Well, it is not the lightness but the fuchsia color that makes me think pink sapphire over ruby. But I am no expert on rubies! I am a fan of Tiffany rings, but the price is a bit high if it is a sapphire. I don't think I'd bid more than $5000.

Actually, here is one with a ruby. Most of the ruby rings I have seen from them have yellow gold prongs on the ruby.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tiffany-Co-PLAT-Gem-Ruby-Diamond-3-Stone-Ring-/230712068452?pt=Designer_Jewelry&hash=item35b782c964#ht_666wt_702
I like this one.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

"Fair" price depend on what it is.
Without a grading report we don't know what the color stone is, or how good it is.
The value of a colored stone can vary tremendously" based on properties and origins that are not obvious to most people, even jewelers, even Tiffany sales staff.

Perhaps you's get more advice if you ask admin to move this to Pricescope's Colored Stones forum.
That's where more experts on rubies and sapphires are.
Rocky Talk is mainly for diamond discussions.

Personally I would not buy such an expensive colored stone that does not have an independent lab report verifying the stone is of natural origin, unheated and untreated.
Yes, I've read here that even Tiffany sells treated colored stones.

A Prestige Grading Report from AGL is the best lab for such stones.
GIA would be second choice in grading labs.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

junebug17|1334375524|3170713 said:
diamondseeker2006|1334375033|3170709 said:

Diamondseeker, you're killing me with this ring!! An antique Tiffany with oec sidestones? :love: It's my size too- gah! :lickout:

No kidding! I really haven't seen one this nice before!

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi and thank you to the posters who chimed in! :wavey:
I did see those other two ruby rings on Ebay. I loved the larger one set in platinum but I thought the price was very high for that ring. I was attracted to the ring I posted because it's my size (4.5 which isn't too easy to find) and the price was lower. I also liked that the prongs were all platinum and not 18k yellow around the stone. The seller does have a return policy where I could bring the ring into Tiffany for an evaluation and I might end up doing that. I'll have to see if they are negotiable on the price. The listing does say "best offer" so I'll have to feel them out on it.
I will repost this on the colored stone board.. that's a great idea..
Thanks again!! I appreciate your thoughts!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think the one you liked is a pink sapphire and that is why the price is lower than the one with the ruby and explains why it has all platinum prongs. It is priced too high for what it probably is, although it looks like a nice pink sapphire ring. I predict you will get some negative responses on the colored stone board because many there are purists and don't accept heat treatment which is common and accepted, and probably all of Tiffany stones have it. Still, a Tiffany piece has heirloom value, and if you can find one at a decent price that you like, I'd go for it!

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yup.. I just read all the great responses on the colored stone board and I'm not going to buy the ring..
Too many questions about it.. not good.
Thanks for your help.. most appreciated!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think that is a good decision if you really want a ruby. Rubies, unfortunately, can sometimes cost more than diamonds. :((

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results