shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a crack or inclusion? *newbie and could use advice*

rubyredgrapefruit

Rough_Rock
Hi long time lurker, first time poster! This is my beautiful ruby engagement ring that means the world to me!

I accidentally banged the table of my ring against the tile a few months ago. There is a surface scratch on the table of the ruby (can’t run my fingernail through it) so I never thought it was worth getting polished out.

Today I noticed what is either an inclusion deep in the ruby or a crack. I turned my ring upside down and I can see what looks like a thin needle crack near my no point culet. It’s hard to see but it’s the dark line at 12:00.

My question is if it is a crack can I just leave it alone or do I run the risk of it spreading? Is it a crack? Can it be polished out? (Spacer on my ring because I’ve lost 12 lbs of muscle during covid and plan on gaining it back so I don’t want to resize it just yet.) 54554CF8-CC69-49E9-B1E6-F7EB56794AD6.jpeg 933F039E-08A3-406A-BCAC-6F59FE1B9DB0.jpeg 962DEDFF-DD96-4204-89EE-0F6EB87B2BDC.jpeg 0052AE42-C449-4416-AE0A-A38AF5747FBD.jpeg

I’m not really sure what my options are and am so upset because this is the most important thing I own .

rubyredgrapefruit

Rough_Rock
I would ask a jeweler, as I can't see what you are seeing from the photos. Fingers crossed its not a crack!

Leaving the jeweler now! He believes it’s just an inclusion because it’s damn near impossible to chip the culet when it’s mounted. He believes it’s not going to ruin the integrity of the stone. Got a quick clean and I’m obsessing over how nice it looks now and not the inclusion! F4AB6C05-A436-42C2-8882-7B87352B0D56.jpeg

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Leaving the jeweler now! He believes it’s just an inclusion because it’s damn near impossible to chip the culet when it’s mounted. He believes it’s not going to ruin the integrity of the stone. Got a quick clean and I’m obsessing over how nice it looks now and not the inclusion! F4AB6C05-A436-42C2-8882-7B87352B0D56.jpeg

I’m so happy it’s not a crack. Your Ruby ring is so pretty..

rubyredgrapefruit

Rough_Rock
I’m so happy it’s not a crack. Your Ruby ring is so pretty..

Thank you! I’m so happy too! He even asked for a second opinion and the lapidary wasn’t concerned. At worst it’s a chip and at best it’s an inclusion. It’s only slightly visible on the bottom of the ring when turned upside down so I’m trying to forget about it, because this ring is the nicest piece of jewelry I own

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you! I’m so happy too! He even asked for a second opinion and the lapidary wasn’t concerned. At worst it’s a chip and at best it’s an inclusion. It’s only slightly visible on the bottom of the ring when turned upside down so I’m trying to forget about it, because this ring is the nicest piece of jewelry I own

I think the lapidary would have known if it was a chip..It’s probably an inclusion..I wouldn’t worry about it at all...especially since you can’t view it from the top.

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
Phew!
I know that feeling you experienced and it’s the worst so I’m thrilled for you that it’s ok.
Big exhale
Now please enjoy the heck out of that beautiful ring.
Congratulations…beautiful rubies like that are hard to find!

rubyredgrapefruit

Rough_Rock
I think the lapidary would have known if it was a chip..It’s probably an inclusion..I wouldn’t worry about it at all...especially since you can’t view it from the top.

I went to Jared just because I figured they would be the ones most likely to try and upsell me on something by making a big deal about it. They didn’t, the associate looked at it under the microscope and then got the second opinion from the guy currently working in the service area of the store. If it is a chip, there’s nothing I can do about it other than polishing it (not necessary since it’s literally on the bottom) so I’m just going to keep telling myself its an inclusion .

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not really sure what my options are and am so upset because this is the most important thing I own .

Start reminding yourself of the following. Anything you wear every day will get damaged if not destroyed over the years. We know this from experience. I mean unless it's a RBC with heavy prongs or a bezel on a stout head and fat band.

The question really is how long can you keeping it looking like new? In our house, not very long. Even spouse's stainless steel tank of a (well-known Swiss) watch is so beat up that the bezel needs replacing and the band needs new pins. We do nearly the same things either side-by-side or over the course of a day (except for cooking, maybe, but similar workouts, etc.) and mine is a decade older and in great shape. And she is not noticeably "careless." Maybe she is having an affair with a rock climber?

None of us (few of us?) live the white-glove life where we never need to touch anything hard or rough.

I say live your life and think of your beloved ring less like an Impressionist painting that you will hand down for centuries and instead like a fun car that is not going to last forever.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Beautiful ring!

rubyredgrapefruit

Rough_Rock
Start reminding yourself of the following. Anything you wear every day will get damaged if not destroyed over the years. We know this from experience. I mean unless it's a RBC with heavy prongs or a bezel on a stout head and fat band.

The question really is how long can you keeping it looking like new? In our house, not very long. Even spouse's stainless steel tank of a (well-known Swiss) watch is so beat up that the bezel needs replacing and the band needs new pins. We do nearly the same things either side-by-side or over the course of a day (except for cooking, maybe, but similar workouts, etc.) and mine is a decade older and in great shape. And she is not noticeably "careless." Maybe she is having an affair with a rock climber?

None of us (few of us?) live the white-glove life where we never need to touch anything hard or rough.

I say live your life and think of your beloved ring less like an Impressionist painting that you will hand down for centuries and instead like a fun car that is not going to last forever.

Thank you for this, something I really needed to hear. I keep telling myself that this is my engagement ring and I will never sell it so to just stop obsessing over every little bump.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results