shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this 1920’s handmade or cast?

lillee96

Rough_Rock
Hello all - first timer here looking for some education. Would you say this ring is handmade or reproduced from a cast? The jeweler guarantees handmade with signed documents (etc.) but another jeweler who appraised it (and also sells similar jewelry) says it is from a cast mould. What do you think? Don’t care either way just trying to get it accurately insured. Many thanks for any and all input! F6321B90-FB72-4709-A7B8-3D58D536705F.jpeg FC4C00D2-5173-4E5B-B166-744113BE9CFE.jpeg 84B489D2-7EA5-4FF0-8971-F83D7C237D44.jpeg 5E3BBD67-4654-4FE3-B372-8E4F52FF0E53.jpeg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful!
I say it's a casting.
The gallery looks wonky and there should be hand tooling in the details.
Also, I would think there would be more obvious milgraining on a ring like this. I see just a touch around the stones.

lillee96

Rough_Rock
It's beautiful!
I say it's a casting.
The gallery looks wonky and there should be hand tooling in the details.
Also, I would think there would be more obvious milgraining on a ring like this. I see just a touch around the stones.

Thank you for the insight!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Is it a real (mined) sapphire? From the photo, the diamonds are white, perfectly matched and well cut. The sapphire, if real and not synthetic, plus those diamonds mean the setting was originally very good quality. Hand forged, not cast. Like Stracci2000 says, there is still traces of fine miligraining. The style is typical of forged rings (little decorative loops in the cathedral shank, etc.). So my guess is that the ring is very worn from wearing it with other diamond rings, stacked, on a hand, over time. Many antique platinum rings show wear on the basket due to rubbing from diamonds in other rings. So the detailing on yours may have been rubbed away. That’s my guess.

What a beautiful ring!!

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
Gallery looks cast (except maybe for the circles in the shoulders) but the bezels may have been forged. I have been told it is very hard to get those paper-thin bezels around the diamonds cast.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Probable cast by scrutinizing the pierce work, and I think it's amazing. :love:
It looks very similar to a ring I've coveted forever by an Australian antique dealer. That one was a high quality cast reproduction.
I love your ring!

lillee96

Rough_Rock
Is it a real (mined) sapphire? From the photo, the diamonds are white, perfectly matched and well cut. The sapphire, if real and not synthetic, plus those diamonds mean the setting was originally very good quality. Hand forged, not cast. Like Stracci2000 says, there is still traces of fine miligraining. The style is typical of forged rings (little decorative loops in the cathedral shank, etc.). So my guess is that the ring is very worn from wearing it with other diamond rings, stacked, on a hand, over time. Many antique platinum rings show wear on the basket due to rubbing from diamonds in other rings. So the detailing on yours may have been rubbed away. That’s my guess.

What a beautiful ring!!

Yes! The sapphire is real, no heat. Confirmed through gemology report. Thank you for the input! The wear you are calling out from possible rub with other rings is what made me think it is cast so it is really interring to hear your perspective.
Thank you!

lillee96

Rough_Rock
Gallery looks cast (except maybe for the circles in the shoulders) but the bezels may have been forged. I have been told it is very hard to get those paper-thin bezels around the diamonds cast.

Thank you Polyhex! Is it possible for a ring to have some parts cast and some forged? I’m such a novice and have no idea what was / is possible. Really appreciate the input.

lillee96

Rough_Rock
Probable cast by scrutinizing the pierce work, and I think it's amazing. :love:
It looks very similar to a ring I've coveted forever by an Australian antique dealer. That one was a high quality cast reproduction.
I love your ring!

Thank you!!! This has been a tough one to figure out. With two opposing views (sellers swears and provided signed appraisal it is handmade from a GIA GG) but local appraiser here in the states says cast.
Either way I do love it! ;-)

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
P.S. We are going to need a whole slew of hand shots! :love:

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Polyhex! Is it possible for a ring to have some parts cast and some forged? I’m such a novice and have no idea what was / is possible. Really appreciate the input.

Yes it sure is! Many rings are made in multiple parts and soldered or welded together. With your close up shot, I do think the bezels were forged, that is some wonderful work on them particularly around the diamonds. I love a paper-thin bezel!

lillee96

Rough_Rock
Yes it sure is! Many rings are made in multiple parts and soldered or welded together. With your close up shot, I do think the bezels were forged, that is some wonderful work on them particularly around the diamonds. I love a paper-thin bezel!

Oh that’s so good to know! I had no idea both approaches could be done in one ring. Many thanks for the insight and learning!! I am realizing that I too love a paper-thin bezel ;-)

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Nothing to add other than goodness gracious what a stunning ring!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!! Thank you for posting your photos of this lovely ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results