shape
carat
color
clarity

Is there something about jewelry people and cats?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Many people on this board are cat people.

Is this a coincidence?

Is it because most jewelry people are women and most cat people are women?

Is it some other reason?

What say you?

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it's just a coincidence.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I think it's a coincidence. I imagine there are as many people with dogs on this board as cats - you just don't hear about them as much.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Cats are beautiful creatures, built perfectly for what they do. Gems are beautiful too, and their "building" determines how beautiful. Both own a certain mystery, cats renowned for it. Even if you understand the chemistry & physics of what makes a jewel gorgeous, and especially if you don't, its dazzle to your eye & brain is somehow mysterious. Like a cat, a stone maintains its own personality regardless of who possesses and keeps it.

--- Laurie

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Elrohwen|1291573105|2787973 said:
I think it's a coincidence. I imagine there are as many people with dogs on this board as cats - you just don't hear about them as much.

Agreed. Although I think we cat people realized there are LOTS of like-minded people on PS so we tend to be pretty vocal about our love for our furry little space heaters (and in posting lots of pics!)

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, I have noticed that people who like cats tend to love animals in general, so there are probably many families here with a cat and a dog, or several cats and a dog. If you discuss cats, they will respond, but if you talk about dogs, they will respond, too. Here at Northwest, people like animals, so you can meet a lot of families with several cats, several dogs, a gekko, fish, turtles, and a hamster.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey: Me, I'm a cat person. I was wondering if being an introvert/extrovert had anything to do with whether you
were a cat person or a dog person? I'm an introvert. I dont like how dogs can be "in your face" friendly. I like a more
laid back kind of animal.

Interesting question Imdanny.

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
tyty333|1291577952|2788066 said:
:wavey: Me, I'm a cat person. I was wondering if being an introvert/extrovert had anything to do with whether you
were a cat person or a dog person? I'm an introvert. I dont like how dogs can be "in your face" friendly. I like a more

I've wondered the exact same thing! I'm very introverted and dogs can sometimes be too much for me. I like that cats are quieter and less "in your face."

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
I have a cat-like dog... does that count?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

I'm a total extrovert and for the longest time I was a dog person. Of course, for my lifestyle I think cats are better, and I adore them now that I have my Bengals (though unfortunately I'm allergic to most cats out there!)

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
davi_el_mejor|1291578538|2788075 said:
I have a cat-like dog... does that count?
Haha, me too!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
merilenda|1291578519|2788074 said:

I've wondered the exact same thing! I'm very introverted and dogs can sometimes be too much for me. I like that cats are quieter and less "in your face."

Speaking for myself, I understand this.

I'm an introvert and I've decided that dogs are more of outdoor companion animals, cats are more indoor companion animals (this goes along with my decision not to let my cat outside, but also the fact that dogs have to go in and and out, and have to exercise and run around outside).

Also, dogs are 'in your face' and cats will act as bed warmers on a cold night (lol!) and snuggle with you. You can't really do that with a dog.

I'm not saying one's better than the other, but for some people, cats are better suited and easier to take care of. I'm one of those people. It took me a long time to realize it.

I went though a stage of thinking I wanted a dog, getting one from a kennel, the whole nine yards, and I ended up having to get my dog a new home with my mother's best friend.

Her friend had three acres, built an outdoor run, bought a Subaru station wagon so the dog could ride in the back, lived nest door to a national forest, took the dog there every single day where he could run as far and fast as he wanted/ needed to. I learned from that experience that dogs weren't really for me.

I still didn't know if I was a cat person. I decided I wanted a pet. I got a kitten and three years later, I'm realizing more and more it was a great decision for me.

I like the snuggle, fur, purr, domestic aspect of it, and it wouldn't be the same with a dog. I couldn't care for a dog the way a dog needs, but I can care for the physical and emotional needs of a cat (and for me, one cat, I couldn't handle two, or any other pet at the same time, but that's just me).

Yes, for me, I think it might have something to do with being an introvert. I'm very happy that it's worked out so well and I'm glad that I'm not at the stage I was where I didn't know if I wanted a dog or a cat.

The primary thing is you've got to be able to care for a pet, and I feel I'm doing a good job of it. As terrible as it might sound, I wouldn't want a dog going in and out of my house all of time, running around, and being' in my face.' I like dogs. I like that they're so friendly, loving, enthusiastic, and accepting, but they're just not right for me.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1291573519|2787983 said:
Cats are beautiful creatures, built perfectly for what they do. Gems are beautiful too, and their "building" determines how beautiful. Both own a certain mystery, cats renowned for it. Even if you understand the chemistry & physics of what makes a jewel gorgeous, and especially if you don't, its dazzle to your eye & brain is somehow mysterious. Like a cat, a stone maintains its own personality regardless of who possesses and keeps it.

--- Laurie

Well said, Laurie.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband and I like to think of ourselves as both cat AND dog people. We both grew up with dogs (m house -- just one family pet, his house -- a revolving door for several dogs over the years it seemed). We've talked about getting a dog but our lifestyle right now is better suited for cats. Hopefully we will get a dog one day.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imdanny|1291579787|2788098 said:
merilenda|1291578519|2788074 said:

Speaking for myself, I understand this.

I'm an introvert and I've decided that dogs are more of outdoor companion animals, cats are more indoor companion animals (this goes along with my decision not to let my cat outside, but also the fact that dogs have to go in and and out, and have to exercise and run around outside).

Also, dogs are 'in your face' and cats will act as bed warmers on a cold night (lol!) and snuggle with you. You can't really do that with a dog.I'm not saying one's better than the other, but for some people, cats are better suited and easier to take care of. I'm one of those people. It took me a long time to realize it.

I went though a stage of thinking I wanted a dog, getting one from a kennel, the whole nine yards, and I ended up having to get my dog a new home with my mother's best friend.

Her friend had three acres, built an outdoor run, bought a Subaru station wagon so the dog could ride in the back, lived nest door to a national forest, took the dog there every single day where he could run as far and fast as he wanted/ needed to. I learned from that experience that dogs weren't really for me.

I still didn't know if I was a cat person. I decided I wanted a pet. I got a kitten and three years later, I'm realizing more and more it was a great decision for me.

I like the snuggle, fur, purr, domestic aspect of it, and it wouldn't be the same with a dog. I couldn't care for a dog the way a dog needs, but I can care for the physical and emotional needs of a cat (and for me, one cat, I couldn't handle two, or any other pet at the same time, but that's just me).

Yes, for me, I think it might have something to do with being an introvert. I'm very happy that it's worked out so well and I'm glad that I'm not at the stage I was where I didn't know if I wanted a dog or a cat.

The primary thing is you've got to be able to care for a pet, and I feel I'm doing a good job of it. As terrible as it might sound, I wouldn't want a dog going in and out of my house all of time, running around, and being' in my face.' I like dogs. I like that they're so friendly, loving, enthusiastic, and accepting, but they're just not right for me.

IM danny, my dog sleeps on my head (pillow) in bed, or right next to my side under the covers, so you can do that with a dog! :love:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
How big is your dog? :wavey:

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Imdanny|1291584793|2788160 said:

Mine are great feet warmers and better than an electric blanket. The dogs are 12 and 20 pounds. They're one of the reasons we can keep the thermostat at 62 during the winter. Sometimes we have to kick them out of bed. They're horrible in the summer getting all snuggly.
miacute.png
100_2841.png

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I see what you mean, there are a lot of cat lovers around here.Although I think they're cute, I am so NOT a cat person... Don't get me wrong. I love animals and I love to see cute kitties, but I personally prefer dogs to cats for pets. I do think it's more of a girl thing than a boy thing, though. I don't know very many men who are "cat" guys.

Supers

Shiny_Rock
Well, if you can't tell from my avatar, I'm a cat person. I like dogs too. But cats just fit in with my lifestyle better, and require less care in terms of walking etc.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
I'm a dog person all the way. I love that my baby is always happy to see me and wants nothing else then to cuddle and play with me. It makes me feel very wanted and appreciated

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Well, if personality correlates with cat vs. dog lovers, then I'm the exception. I'm introverted, but definitely a dog person. I think that's because my mom is a dog person and I grew up with a dog.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually before we got our cat, I was really more of a dog person. However, given our lifestyle, cats just fit our family better for now and I agree they do require less care.

vbnet

Brilliant_Rock
I think we need a poll. I'm a dog person. I like cats, but I still think I'm more a dog person and I Love Diamonds :rodent:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Sparkly Blonde|1291593872|2788288 said:
I'm a dog person all the way. I love that my baby is always happy to see me and wants nothing else then to cuddle and play with me. It makes me feel very wanted and appreciated

And yet your avatar is a cat. LOL!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I also think my preference has to do with my extreme allergies to cats!

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Imdanny|1291596202|2788327 said:
Sparkly Blonde|1291593872|2788288 said:

And yet your avatar is a cat. LOL!

Good one :bigsmile:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
How did I miss this thread? :confused:

I don't really know how to answer this since I have a cat that acts like a dog and 2 dogs that act like cats!

My cat is a black cat, and I sincerely think they are different than all other cats. I've had about 6 cats throughout my life, and this black one understands what I say, comes when he's called, rolls on his back and wants his tummy rubbed. He comes running if strangers come in. I kiss him and he is compelled to kiss me back with a lick on the nose and he will jump up on the couch for a cuddle when asked. When he wants something, he'll get on his hind legs and tap me on the arm. I talk to him like he's a person and he will do what I say. He's stopped scratching the furniture because he and I had a discussion. I am not usually like this with animals, and don't generally talk with them. But he seems to get the idea. I think it's very odd.

My DH had a black cat before we met, and it was the same deal: oddly smart, got his own food every day (he'd pull out a cat food pouch and slit it open), very interactive.

My two dogs are quiet toy dogs (there IS such a thing) that require about 18-20 hours of sleep each day, couldn't care less about exercise, and they just like to lay around. They both are snugglers. The smaller one likes to lay on the back of the couch, and gaze around like a cat. Her breed is known for being very "Cat-like" and independent, she can take you or leave you, but loves to greet you when you come home. Otherwise, she's purely decorative.

So, cat people and jewelry people? Could be. Both cats (well, other people's cats, anyway) and jewelry require the appreciation of subtlety, maybe that's it.

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
On the topic of black cats...

I also have a solid black cat who is very smart. She knows her name and always comes when called. She will have conversations with me. She has also figured out how to open the cabinet, tear into an unopened bag of cat food, and help herself. We now have to store the cat food in a container above the stove so that she can't get to it.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imdanny|1291584793|2788160 said:

Sorry - just saw this! my dog is about 20 lbs - but i've also had a 90 lb yellow lab who loved to snuggle under the covers in bed too!

diva rose

Shiny_Rock
I am a dog person and never been into cats. I don't feel dogs are in your face - it really depends on the breed you get.
Like cats, depending on the breed they have different personalities.

I had a shih tzu and she was pretty independent, laid back and not in your face.
She thought she was the queen bee though and had a lot of attitude which I thought was cute.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results