shape
carat
color
clarity

Is there anywhere like Berricle but for pearls?

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
I’m trying to find a good inexpensive pearl necklace with knots so I can test out if I would actually wear a pearl necklace, or if it’s just a Pricescope phenomenon of seeing something and then wanting it because PSers have it- but not because I’d actually ever wear it.

Any brands or sellers for me? Pearl or plastic, I just want to try the look. But with specific measurements so I’ll know what to order one day. Thanks!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m trying to find a good inexpensive pearl necklace with knots so I can test out if I would actually wear a pearl necklace, or if it’s just a Pricescope phenomenon of seeing something and then wanting it because PSers have it- but not because I’d actually ever wear it.

Any brands or sellers for me? Pearl or plastic, I just want to try the look. But with specific measurements so I’ll know what to order one day. Thanks!

Post over in the pearl forum
The pearl princesses will help you get more bang (or rather nacre) for your buck
i recommend some nice fresh water pearls rather than faux ones

Wen pearls on Etsy gets recomended a lot
im planning on trying them soon

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with @Daisys and Diamonds, you might as well buy a cheap set of freshwater pearls from somewhere. Wen pearls are good, although you might need to string them yourself (which is an easy and fun and inexpensive project anyway!).

Here’s a ready made necklace but they have loads of fun stuff to experiment with,

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Swarskovski actually makes really pretty faux pearls. I think Wen is great for being inexpensive but also doesn’t necessarily tell you if you’d like akoyas etc as they don’t have the same luster as higher end pearls.

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone! I’ve tried Wen and I like their stuff but I was actually looking for something more like swarovski- I want to know if I care for the look of perfect pearls.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are very collectable

I recall seeing used strands under $100 USD. Before Chinese started perfecting fresh water rounds, they were the closest alternative to natural akoya pearls. High end department stores sold them at a premium price. They are factory made so not rare....although the process does entail a repetitive dipping/polishing process to give them the pearl-like nacre.

I have a broken strand somewhere at home. It was in with some fine jewelry a friend asked me to sell (it had belonged to his mother). Knowing it wouldn't get much, getting around to restringing them hasn't been a priority.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I recall seeing used strands under $100 USD. Before Chinese started perfecting fresh water rounds, they were the closest alternative to natural akoya pearls. High end department stores sold them at a premium price. They are factory made so not rare....although the process does entail a repetitive dipping/polishing process to give them the pearl-like nacre.

I have a broken strand somewhere at home. It was in with some fine jewelry a friend asked me to sell (it had belonged to his mother). Knowing it wouldn't get much, getting around to restringing them hasn't been a priority.

On that other pearl site (i just forget what its called and i dont think we are allowed to say anyway) but if my memory servee me right they had a,whole sub forum dedicated to Majoricas, they seem to have quite a following -
I think you should knot them up as soon as you have time !

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
Swarskovski actually makes really pretty faux pearls. I think Wen is great for being inexpensive but also doesn’t necessarily tell you if you’d like akoyas etc as they don’t have the same luster as higher end pearls.

I second swarskovski. What I did recently is buy a bunch of 10mm pearls from a bead store in a couple different colors (white, gold, yellow, etc) and then shipped them to Patricia Saab on Etsy who did a phenomenal job stringing them with a silver orbit clasp. We did a random color assortment to mimic a golden ss multi strand. I think the stringing cost and clasp was something like $60-$80 in total. I can post pics if interested but I would totally do a multicolored strand again, or just use their white pearls.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I second swarskovski. What I did recently is buy a bunch of 10mm pearls from a bead store in a couple different colors (white, gold, yellow, etc) and then shipped them to Patricia Saab on Etsy who did a phenomenal job stringing them with a silver orbit clasp. We did a random color assortment to mimic a golden ss multi strand. I think the stringing cost and clasp was something like $60-$80 in total. I can post pics if interested but I would totally do a multicolored strand again, or just use their white pearls.

You don't have to ask if we want pictures !!!!
I was looking into swarskovski pearls last year but this year i was under the impression you can't buy loose ones anymore, only finished strands from authorized sellers ????

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock

I would absolutely love to see!

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
You don't have to ask if we want pictures !!!!
I was looking into swarskovski pearls last year but this year i was under the impression you can't buy loose ones anymore, only finished strands from authorized sellers ????

Same same same

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
Snapped a quick pic yesterday in incandescent lighting. I can also take some comparisons between my white freshadamas and my white south sea earrings.

@Daisys and Diamonds - I bought my pearls in September of 2020 from Art Beads at 39 cents per pearl. Swarovski has always had loose pearls available through bead stores, but it does look like production has halted via the pandemic. There may still be stock on Etsy, eBay and other bead stores depending on your size and color. Art Beads also has another brand of crystal pearl bead that honestly looks identical to the old listing (around 50 cents a pearl now) so I’d try that and see if it’s the same factory but rebranded.

For this project I used 10mm Swarovski pearls in cream, gold and light gold. My inspiration was a multicolor GSS strand that was like $10k. I hoped that by doing the random pattern, it would trick the eye into thinking there’s more color variation than there really is, and I think that it succeeds (in person the color isn’t as saturated).

As with everything for jewelry, the devil is in the execution. I brought my pearls to Patricia Saab Designs on Etsy, who brought them to life! She and I selected a light gold thread, which I think adds to the realness look of it. She also did the arrangement of the colors and absolutely killed the pattern. The classic orbit clasp is super easy to put and also pretty sharp. I checked my Etsy purchase history and it was about $85 from her and so so worth it! All in, project cost about $125 because I bought a variety of loose pearls in all the colors that looked halfway relevant.

98E5D355-DF7A-41CF-A9FD-E51494A89058.jpeg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Snapped a quick pic yesterday in incandescent lighting. I can also take some comparisons between my white freshadamas and my white south sea earrings.

@Daisys and Diamonds - I bought my pearls in September of 2020 from Art Beads at 39 cents per pearl. Swarovski has always had loose pearls available through bead stores, but it does look like production has halted via the pandemic. There may still be stock on Etsy, eBay and other bead stores depending on your size and color. Art Beads also has another brand of crystal pearl bead that honestly looks identical to the old listing (around 50 cents a pearl now) so I’d try that and see if it’s the same factory but rebranded.

For this project I used 10mm Swarovski pearls in cream, gold and light gold. My inspiration was a multicolor GSS strand that was like $10k. I hoped that by doing the random pattern, it would trick the eye into thinking there’s more color variation than there really is, and I think that it succeeds (in person the color isn’t as saturated).

As with everything for jewelry, the devil is in the execution. I brought my pearls to Patricia Saab Designs on Etsy, who brought them to life! She and I selected a light gold thread, which I think adds to the realness look of it. She also did the arrangement of the colors and absolutely killed the pattern. The classic orbit clasp is super easy to put and also pretty sharp. I checked my Etsy purchase history and it was about $85 from her and so so worth it! All in, project cost about $125 because I bought a variety of loose pearls in all the colors that looked halfway relevant.

98E5D355-DF7A-41CF-A9FD-E51494A89058.jpeg

That's $85 (well $125) extremely well spent
I have yet to see a Swarovski pearl in person but i do beleave they should look very good indeed

on a related matter something that always saddens me on PS is when (usually a new poster) inherits grandma's or mum's pearls and discovers they are not real and looses interest in them because they them see them as worthless

Something does not need to be worth thousands or even hundreds to be beautiful and useful

I love how you choose the right coloured silk
Famouse ladies of history wore and enjoyed faux pearls, from Queen Alexandra to Mrs Barbara Bush, Jackie Kennedy and even Princess Di and not forgetting Coco Chanel, stylish and very well to do ladies who knew how to mix and match real and faux
i think your strand would keep great company with these ladies

So ....

Do we get neck shots ?

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Swarovski has always had loose pearls available through bead stores, but it does look like production has halted via the pandemic.

Sadly, Swarovski stopped selling their crystal beads and elements in 2021. My understanding is that the pearls, which have a crystal core, were also dropped. You can still buy them from retailer's remaining stock for now.

When I did a lot of bead work, I used Swarovski pearls and crystals for their beauty and consistency in size/cut...a noticeable difference over many inexpensive strands.

One brand that I've often heard offers a like substitute for Swarovski is Preciosa - although I have not tried them myself.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sadly, Swarovski stopped selling their crystal beads and elements in 2021. My understanding is that the pearls, which have a crystal core, were also dropped. You can still buy them from retailer's remaining stock for now.

When I did a lot of bead work, I used Swarovski pearls and crystals for their beauty and consistency in size/cut...a noticeable difference over many inexpensive strands.

One brand that I've often heard offers a like substitute for Swarovski is Preciosa - although I have not tried them myself.

This is kind of what i thought
In case it may have been you who alerted me to the bad news a while ago

But Thanks for the heads up about Preoisa
If im going to learn to knot i need something pretty (and not too expensive) to practice on

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results