shape
carat
color
clarity

Is there a price point where LGDs are a no go?

Philmc99

Rough_Rock
I know that LGDs run the gamut in terms of price. I see people post about when a LGD is appropriate compared to a mined one and it's usually in reference to an eRing where they feel mined is for an eRing and LGD for other pieces because of what an eRing signifies. My question to everyone is this "is there a dollar amount that you feel commands mined diamonds instead LGDs?" or do you feel they are the same? I know budgets are personal but in general is there an amount where you start entering the fine jewelry space and LGD don't seem appropriate? For example, if you are spending 10k or more would you only consider mined? Would you spend $30k on LGD jewelry? 40k? Etc..

Gemma10

Rough_Rock
I know that LGDs run the gamut in terms of price. I see people post about when a LGD is appropriate compared to a mined one and it's usually in reference to an eRing where they feel mined is for an eRing and LGD for other pieces because of what an eRing signifies. My question to everyone is this "is there a dollar amount that you feel commands mined diamonds instead LGDs?" or do you feel they are the same? I know budgets are personal but in general is there an amount where you start entering the fine jewelry space and LGD don't seem appropriate? For example, if you are spending 10k or more would you only consider mined? Would you spend $30k on LGD jewelry? 40k? Etc..

We can afford both lab and mined versions of the carat size we wanted, and we opted for lab all the way, our carat size is 7 carat

the questionable concern may be of ‘resale’ value however I don’t think any diamond is a ‘real investment’ so the initial investment would be upfront which would be 30 percent less, better quality and specs and a diamond where there is zero difference between natural or mined, it’s like a natural conceived baby and an ivf baby, nobody can tell....

I think it’s a matter of perspective and no right or wrong answer....❤️

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
For me it’d probably be around $3-4k, depending on the piece itself and what % more it would cost to get the mined version (which is also my threshold for insuring pieces). It’s the amount I’m ok with losing (more or less) assuming that I can enjoy it for a period of time first. Obviously I wouldn’t just throw away $3-4k, that’s just my self insurance threshold and I apply it to lab diamonds.

Forgot to add - for an engagement type ring I’d want mined because my intention is that it becomes an heirloom. Not that I don’t think lab stones can be heirloom pieces, it’s just a personal preference.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
For me, I think the best advice that I would give someone is that choosing a lab diamond allows one to maximize their purchase. For the same price of a mined diamond, a lab diamond will come in at significantly better specs on the 4C's.

Caveat? Sure!
A lab diamond loses way more retained value the day that it is purchased, and many jewelers won't even take them in on trade.

With that in mind, it begs the question to the buyer: is this going to be a very long term piece, or merely a holdover piece with the intention of upgrading in the near future?

If it's a long term piece, then save up as much coin as possible to get the absolute most 4C's possible in a lab diamond, since resale value and aftermarket desirability will not be there, and likely never will be.

If it's a holdover piece, then it may be best to stick with mined, since resale value and aftermarket desirability will follow it.

The thing anyone needs to keep in mind when deciding which is best for any situation is that lab diamonds are considered mass produced commodities, where as mined diamonds are considered precious commodities...and that's the way they will be seen for quite a while, if not forever.

In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with choosing one over the other, as long as whichever is chosen meets the intended needs and desires.

Gemma10

Rough_Rock
For me it’d probably be around $3-4k, depending on the piece itself and what % more it would cost to get the mined version (which is also my threshold for insuring pieces). It’s the amount I’m ok with losing (more or less) assuming that I can enjoy it for a period of time first. Obviously I wouldn’t just throw away $3-4k, that’s just my self insurance threshold and I apply it to lab diamonds.

Forgot to add - for an engagement type ring I’d want mined because my intention is that it becomes an heirloom. Not that I don’t think lab stones can be heirloom pieces, it’s just a personal preference.

I agree.... it all comes down to whether you want to upgrade or not, I purchased my diamond which was 4.75 carats and a year later I upgraded to 7 carats my Jeweller has a great upgrade policy

engagement ring is meant to be ‘forever’ not as an investment unless of course you are upgrading, other than that there is zero difference other than maybe having more money in your wallet and/or better specs

good luck! Can’t wait to see it

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree.... it all comes down to whether you want to upgrade or not, I purchased my diamond which was 4.75 carats and a year later I upgraded to 7 carats my Jeweller has a great upgrade policy

engagement ring is meant to be ‘forever’ not as an investment unless of course you are upgrading, other than that there is zero difference other than maybe having more money in your wallet and/or better specs

good luck! Can’t wait to see it

Could you share pics of your upgrade? It sounds fabulous.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I think I more or less have a no-go price point for diamonds in general, so let's say my budget is 8K, then I can probably get a better/bigger stone if I go lab so I wouldn't hesitate but if a smaller albeit perfect OEC comes along that's a mined stone, I would consider it.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I would say probably no more than $4,000 on a lab piece for myself.

Philmc99

Rough_Rock
Do earrings and necklaces seem most appropriate for LGD? Besides the sentimental value of an eRing, does the idea of a single stone purchase vs multiple stones have any impact on how you would view the amount you'd be willing to spend on LGD? I personally would be ok spending 10 to 15k on a mined stone for an eRing but would prob not spend that much on a LGD for an eRing. Whereas studs or tennis bracelet it seems less important to me and LGD seem like the best value.

princessk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I Had a mined 3.5 carat L VS2. It wAs a beautiful stone. But as years passed I became sensitive to the color. I upgraded with same jeweller to Lab 3.5 G VS2. I am much happier and resale is not important to me. My appraisal is basically what I paid all together for both so I’m good with that if I ever lost it and needed to replace.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I think my cap is 20k for any piece of jewelry, whether it be mined or lab grown, and at that price point I can get either get a mediocre 2ct mined diamond or a 3ct+ MMD with top specs, so it is a no brainer.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I think my cap is 20k for any piece of jewelry, whether it be mined or lab grown, and at that price point I can get either get a mediocre 2ct mined diamond or a 3ct+ MMD with top specs, so it is a no brainer.

That was exactly our approach when we purchased my wife's 15 year anniversary ring a couple of weeks ago.

Did a ton of research prior to the purchase, and armed with the knowledge, it made the lab diamond that much more alluring.

Originally looking at .66-.85 mined in the F-H color range, but for the same price range we ended up with a 1.69 E that is slightly shallower but wider so it presents like some 1.75s.

Super happy with our purchase and it's so massive compared to the mined options that we were considering, which would have left us in perpetual upgrade turmoil over the long run.

Going with lab, we got it as a "one and done" solution, and will smile at it just as much in 15 years as we do now!

Last edited:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me right now it's about $5k - occasionally I look at lab diamonds that are over that amount but I can't imagine buying them now because what if the price drops a lot? I'd be kicking myself. So my amount is the amount I could spend and not kick myself if the prices dropped.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
In my mind the primary benefit of MMD is lower cost, so my threshold is similar to @winnietucker — any amount I’d feel compelled to insure is no longer “low cost” to me and therefore the allure of MMD disappears.

Philmc99

Rough_Rock
In my mind the primary benefit of MMD is lower cost, so my threshold is similar to @winnietucker — any amount I’d feel compelled to insure is no longer “low cost” to me and therefore the allure of MMD disappears.

Is your feeling to insure based on actual money spent or an appraisal?

Redwoods-hiker-girl

Brilliant_Rock
That was exactly our approach when we purchased my wife's 15 year anniversary ring a couple of weeks ago.

Did a ton of research prior to the purchase, and armed with the knowledge, it made the lab diamond that much more alluring.

Originally looking at .66-.85 mined in the F-H color range, but for the same price range we ended up with a 1.69 E that is slightly shallower but wider so it presents like some 1.75s.

Super happy with our purchase and it's so massive compared to the mined options that we were considering, which would have left us in perpetual upgrade turmoil over the long run.

Going with lab, we got it as a "one and done" solution, and will smile at it just as much in 15 years as we do now!

Nice approach! Where did you find your LGD?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Nice approach! Where did you find your LGD?

We had our closest Jared pull it from their shared inventory with James Allen.
Jared website gave me a $500 off coupon code which the local store honored, so I feel we did pretty darn good.

Last edited:

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
l love colored lab diamonds, since for the same amount of money which I can spend on mined colored diamonds, colored lab diamonds have way more variety and choices.

I am open to colorless lab diamonds, however they do not have the unusual cuts which I am looking for.

In short, the amount varies based on the specific specifications and color I am considering.

pinklemonadegurl

Shiny_Rock
Of course!! It’s in the works, I will attach once he finalizes the setting....❤️

I can't wait to see it. I've recently been turned on to LGD. Your piece sounds like it's going to be fabulous. (My daughter's name is Gemma :)

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
"is there a dollar amount that you feel commands mined diamonds instead LGDs?" or do you feel they are the same?

In short, no.

Most of my jewelry going forward is likely to be lab grown, and that includes an upcoming 10 year wedding anniversary ring. While I love natural diamonds and appreciate their unique characteristics that just cannot be replicated, they are also characteristics that for what I'm buying, don't make a visual difference and I don't see the point in paying more for something I cannot discern with my own eye.

Even if prices plummet in the future for LGDs, at the time of purchase, I'll still have saved a significant amount compared to mined (in most cases), and that savings will have allowed me extra funds for other enjoyments in life - travel, classes, retirement savings, etc.

"Do earrings and necklaces seem most appropriate for LGD? Besides the sentimental value of an eRing, does the idea of a single stone purchase vs multiple stones have any impact on how you would view the amount you'd be willing to spend on LGD? I personally would be ok spending 10 to 15k on a mined stone for an eRing but would prob not spend that much on a LGD for an eRing. Whereas studs or tennis bracelet it seems less important to me and LGD seem like the best value."

Again, in short, no.

Single vs. multiple stones does not impact how I would view the amount I'm willing to spend on a LGD, or LGD jewelry. I do have an idea of what amount I'm willing so spend on a piece of jewelry period, but that isn't influenced on natural vs. LG. My budget for a 10 year anniversary ring will fall somewhere between $15-25k, and I'm going lab grown all the way!

This isn't to say I'm unwilling to buy mined diamond pieces, but likely they would be antique pieces.

Philmc99

Rough_Rock
"is there a dollar amount that you feel commands mined diamonds instead LGDs?" or do you feel they are the same?

In short, no.

Most of my jewelry going forward is likely to be lab grown, and that includes an upcoming 10 year wedding anniversary ring. While I love natural diamonds and appreciate their unique characteristics that just cannot be replicated, they are also characteristics that for what I'm buying, don't make a visual difference and I don't see the point in paying more for something I cannot discern with my own eye.

Even if prices plummet in the future for LGDs, at the time of purchase, I'll still have saved a significant amount compared to mined (in most cases), and that savings will have allowed me extra funds for other enjoyments in life - travel, classes, retirement savings, etc.

"Do earrings and necklaces seem most appropriate for LGD? Besides the sentimental value of an eRing, does the idea of a single stone purchase vs multiple stones have any impact on how you would view the amount you'd be willing to spend on LGD? I personally would be ok spending 10 to 15k on a mined stone for an eRing but would prob not spend that much on a LGD for an eRing. Whereas studs or tennis bracelet it seems less important to me and LGD seem like the best value."

Again, in short, no.

Single vs. multiple stones does not impact how I would view the amount I'm willing to spend on a LGD, or LGD jewelry. I do have an idea of what amount I'm willing so spend on a piece of jewelry period, but that isn't influenced on natural vs. LG. My budget for a 10 year anniversary ring will fall somewhere between $15-25k, and I'm going lab grown all the way!

This isn't to say I'm unwilling to buy mined diamond pieces, but likely they would be antique pieces.

Thank you for your thorough reply to my question!

nojs

Shiny_Rock
Currently my limit is 1200 USD. The most expensive diamond I own was only 1500 USD (natural) and I own several 0.6-0.76 carat bargain finds (natural). Where I live a 0.5 ct diamond is considered huge and there really is not much need to go larger socially. Of course I appreciate a large diamond as much as anyone here and wish to get to larger sizes in the future.

I expect the prices of the lab diamonds to go down over time and would spend only the amount which I’d be willing to lose. My natural diamonds are not investments by any means, but I expect them to retain some value over time. Not in order to sell them, but as an “mind clean” issue.

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly my limit is just what I can afford generally and not due to MMD. I think they’re awesome and wouldn’t shy away from a big purchase because they are lab grown.
Its actually harder for me to justify a mined diamond at this point than a man made. I was considering a pretty yellow on Jewels by Grace but it was more expensive and smaller than the one I ended up getting. It just didn’t make sense to me.
I guess I don’t have the emotional pull to mined diamonds.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Honestly my limit is just what I can afford generally and not due to MMD. I think they’re awesome and wouldn’t shy away from a big purchase because they are lab grown.
Its actually harder for me to justify a mined diamond at this point than a man made. I was considering a pretty yellow on Jewels by Grace but it was more expensive and smaller than the one I ended up getting. It just didn’t make sense to me.
I guess I don’t have the emotional pull to mined diamonds.

That's essentially my standpoint: a diamond is a diamond. And when you find one that says "I'm the one", then its origin is at the bottom of the list.

The advantages of LGDs vs mined are too great for me to ignore: more 4Cs for the same price, or less pricing for the same 4Cs.

Philmc99

Rough_Rock
After receiving my LGDs and comparing them to the mined ones I was considering the LGDs are a no-brainer. The prices were the same for the LGD and mined but the 4Cs were much, much better on the LGDs. I just can't see spending substantially more to get the same specs in a mined when they look exactly the same. Unless i personally dug the rough out of the ground, the origin seems a lot less significant to me after actually seeing the LGDs in person.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
After receiving my LGDs and comparing them to the mined ones I was considering the LGDs are a no-brainer. The prices were the same for the LGD and mined but the 4Cs were much, much better on the LGDs. I just can't see spending substantially more to get the same specs in a mined when they look exactly the same. Unless i personally dug the rough out of the ground, the origin seems a lot less significant to me after actually seeing the LGDs in person.

This was our exact take-away, after viewing lab grown and mined diamonds side by side.

We visited our nearest Jared (I know, I know...they have gotten a bad rap here in recent years), and our sales associates were extremely helpful with lining up a couple lab diamonds next to a couple mined diamonds - MRBs with close 4Cs - so that we could see them all at the same time. When we requested, they even took them all right out the front door so that we could see them in direct and indirect sunlight!

Zero difference. Couldn't tell a lab from another lab, a mined from another mined, or a lab from a mined.

Philmc99

Rough_Rock
This was our exact take-away, after viewing lab grown and mined diamonds side by side.

We visited our nearest Jared (I know, I know...they have gotten a bad rap here in recent years), and our sales associates were extremely helpful with lining up a couple lab diamonds next to a couple mined diamonds - MRBs with close 4Cs - so that we could see them all at the same time. When we requested, they even took them all right out the front door so that we could see them in direct and indirect sunlight!

Zero difference. Couldn't tell a lab from another lab, a mined from another mined, or a lab from a mined.

After my experience, I personally think LGD will be much more prevalent in the future as people get over the psychological/marketing stigma. People will always be willing to pay more for quality but if quality is the same (as it is in LGD) and there is no difference except origin, i can't see that as being compelling enough to pay substantially more.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I bought a blue hpht diamond a few years ago.
not interested in buying anymore lab created stones, so not about price to me.

Philmc99

Rough_Rock
I bought a blue hpht diamond a few years ago.
not interested in buying anymore lab created stones, so not about price to me.

Not sure if you mean blue nuanced or actual blue diamond but in terms of colorless I definitely think that if you are buying LGD you need to get high-end specs. I would not buy anything but D - F color for a colorless with cut and no lower than vs2.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results