shape
carat
color
clarity

Is there a cure for................

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
DSS? I thought halo-ing my diamond would help...more real estate covered....and since I live in the land of no-upgrades (due to dh sentiment, bless his sweet little heart) it''s kind of sucky to admit it has returned. My ring is big, but still, my stone feels small-ish. What next? DOUBLE halo''s? (just kidding...maybe...hey, ps-ers single handedly started a jacket trend this year)

I think Mara needs to hold an upgrade seminar for men, and start a public awareness campaign about the seriousness of DSS, its effects, and how to spot DSS in your wife. (addiction to PS, grabbing strangers hands to gawk at stones, incessant ultrasonic baths to maximize cleanliness for sparkle factor)

Anyway...just a thought. I come across the phrase DSS a lot on here, in regards to all sizes of diamonds...from sweet-n-petite to honkin-huge....it always seems to set in at some point.

Wah!
39.gif

Is it just a PS sickness?
2.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel your pain! When I first got my new setting I was at first rather appaled by the enormity of it, and now I'm like, yah, whatever...

Such a coincidence that you posted this though because I have been thinking of have a ring like yours done with a white halo and yellow shank for the days when I want to wear yellow gold. I actually went back last night and oogled your ring thread. I LOVE your ring!

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Cures for DSS

Take your ring off and put it away in its box in a safe place for the evening. When you start missing it, put it back on, and it will seem perfect again.

or

Go to the mall and check out some teeny low quality stones (avoid the larger ones). Yours will feel big by comparison.

Orrrrr

Upgrade =)

ETA

p.s. Diver- there is nothing wrong with your ring. It's perfectly lovely!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2008 8:25:08 PM
Author: Fancy605
Cures for DSS

Take your ring off and put it away in its box in a safe place for the evening. When you start missing it, put it back on, and it will seem perfect again.

or

Go to the mall and check out some teeny low quality stones (avoid the larger ones). Yours will feel big by comparison.

Orrrrr

Upgrade =)

ETA

p.s. Diver- there is nothing wrong with your ring. It''s perfectly lovely!
Great idea, I was just thinking that!!! I put mine in the safety deposit box for 2 weeks while traveling and wore my wedding band and when I put it back on again it looked big!
Diver your ring is gorgeous!!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Take a PS break! It really works. Even just seeing the avatars is enough to make me feel like my diamond is teensy! I consciously took a week's break (or so) and my stone grew back to it's normal size
2.gif

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/2/2008 8:49:46 PM
Author: musey
Take a PS break! It really works. Even just seeing the avatars is enough to make me feel like my diamond is teensy! I consciously took a week''s break (or so) and my stone grew back to it''s normal size
2.gif
Great advice....

Or, start a new jewelry project which involves a bigger, less expensive gemstone for your RHR (that seemed to help me
9.gif
)

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Well, if you ever find a cure, please let me know. My affliction is BAAAAAAAAAD and none of the above suggestions have ever worked for me for more than a few minutes!
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif

It''s ridiculous, especially when it''s couple with Diamond Anorexia, which I also apparently have. A few weeks ago I was shopping in the Caribbean and I saw a loose AGS-0 diamond, 2.39 RB (mine is a 2.36). Loose, I thought, "Whoa! That''s a BIG diamond!" So I put it next to mine, virtually identical, of course... and mine surprised me by actually looking *big* for a moment... then I handed back the loose stone, and looked back at mine, and it was teeny-weeny again!!!
14.gif

Yes, I know. I''m sick, sick, sick!

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Ha! I''m feeling the same thing. I never wore rings, so when I got my e-ring from FH I thought it was the biggest ring EVER. Now I think it should be bigger, but I have sentimental feelings about keeping the original stone. My basket is going to need to be replaced at some point in the future anyway (long story), so I''m thinking about doing something similar to the Tacori setting in this thread to get a little more coverage: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/eternity-bands-redone-new-e-ring-setting.81307/

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Hoo boy...you guys are all sweet...I wasn''t fishing for ring compliments, but HEY! I''ll take ''em! DeeJay, its so funny to hear you going and looking at MY ring...LOL...I feel so honored. Especially since I was oogling LynnB''s last night from her original thread. Oh we are a funny bunch.

I do LOOVE my ring. It''s pretty, its "me" (I like the substantialness of it, and the uniqueness of the brushed band, it really stands on it own which is just my style) I just wish my center stone was larger, but on the plus side, the way its cut, its pretty good for a regular ''ole princess cut, I quite like the facet pattern & it''s eyeclean which I like. (SI1)

I just find the rampant DSS on here amusing, and I am not immune to it. When I first put on my new ring 2 years ago, I was like, WHOA! THAT IS SO HUUUUUUUUGE! I can''t wear that in public. LOL.

But I did take it off last night & put my anniversary band my dh bought me this year on my left hand along with my ORIGINAL (and I mean, what I was proposed to with) setting, just a plain 4 prong tiffany repro that I had a garnet set it (its my RHR) and wow...that looked itty bitty... just a little red solitaire...all that finger showin''. LOL. It made me realize that my fingers aren''t right for a more "classic" look. I have chubs...

So when I put my ring back on this morning, it was like...wow....it is a lovely piece....fits "me" so well.

I do have other projects in the works (code for actively saving for). I think I''m in love with that contemporary crescent tacori setting, and I''d luuurve a RB blue sapphire for my rhr. Cornflower blue. I think a big ''un too.

There are enough bare body parts (neck, wrist, right hand) on me to satisfy my diamond and jewelry lust. And my studs are cold. They need jackets for next winter. LOL.

But there will always be that part of me who clocks the left hand of the woman next to me sporting a 3 carat RB in some great setting & I think ''holy mackeral''! But that''s life, and that''s ok.

When I get envious, I have to remind myself that someday, my daughter will get the very stone her daddy proposed to me with. THAT makes me smile. And I know I couldn''t part with it either. I thought I lost it a few months back & I was sobbing hysterically trying to find it & my poor stepmom tore my house apart helping me until we located it (fell behind the couch). So for all my setting grief, I know I love it....its just...DSS is a dirty rat & gets to us no matter what!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i don''t follow the diamond threads too much....and i''m not a fan of halo''s: having said all that, i LOVE your ring.

movie zombie

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/3/2008 1:50:12 AM
Author: movie zombie
i don''t follow the diamond threads too much....and i''m not a fan of halo''s: having said all that, i LOVE your ring.

movie zombie
Blasphemy!!!!
3.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with Fancy! After I finally could wear mine again (after 4-5 months) it seemed HUGE!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Try on an inordinately huge ring for fun, and it will make you appreciate the size that's right for you.

I tried on an 8 carat RB at the Intergem show, and it looked absurd! Made me appreciate mine all the more.
1.gif

Your ring rocks Divergrrl!

oh, and I agree with the "start a gemstone project" idea. DIVERT!
3.gif

cutey TT

Shiny_Rock
I WISH! If anyone figures out what it is, please share!
3.gif

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Ha, ha, there really is no cure. I have to say though that when I see a 2 carat on someone else, it looks huge, but when I see it on myself, it looks just right.

Lately, I have been wearing my ring alot (even to bed) trying to see if I could get it to suddenly appear bigger, but no, it''s still looks the same.

The only real cure for DSS is to get a bigger diamond.
11.gif

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/4/2008 10:01:40 AM
Author: butterfly 17
Ha, ha, there really is no cure. I have to say though that when I see a 2 carat on someone else, it looks huge, but when I see it on myself, it looks just right.

Lately, I have been wearing my ring alot (even to bed) trying to see if I could get it to suddenly appear bigger, but no, it''s still looks the same.

The only real cure for DSS is to get a bigger diamond.
11.gif
and then the process starts all over again!!
I thought a 4.1 center stone would cure my DSS and now I''m thinking 6-7 might do the trick!
31.gif

Divert!!

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
I find that my DSS comes and goes. I look at my ring all the time (obsession!) and sometimes it looks so very substantial, especially when I catch myself in the mirror with it on. I know the halo setting I have really does an excellent job of fooling the eye into thinking the diamond is much larger. And when I look at most people''s rings, that are smaller than mine, I remember how lucky I am to have the size I have. But then sometimes when I come on PS, or stare too long at a friend''s much larger diamond, I am reminded that I don''t have an enormous dazzler.

But then I do my best to remember that MY diamond looks gorgeous on MY finger, and that it''s perfect for ME. And that it symbolizes MY marriage. Something I tend to forget way too often.
20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results