shape
carat
color
clarity

Is there a 12 step program for jewelry addicts?

Luvallgems

Brilliant_Rock
This is me!!
1) addict
2) hoarder
3) the very day I receive a new blingy thing...I start thinking about the next
4) my DH has no idea about PS ( that’s the other addiction)
Please make me feel better....I don’t want to be the only one!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me too, I particularly relate to no. 3, over the past 20 years I have always had something I’ve been planning or lusting over! The desire never seems to stop, although I have managed to stretch out the time periods between purchases to 18 months or so!

My husband is very sweet about it (I only spend “spare” money on my habit!) and says I should think of myself as a “collector” :D

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
#3 #thisisme

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve been collecting bright shiny things for over half a century !
I consider myself both a collector and a custodian.
I had many many things on my wish list when I was young.
I wanted a gold Rolex, I wanted a diamond tennis necklace, I wanted a suite of gold bangles that clinked, I wanted a diamond over 1 carat.
But for me it has always been about finding a bargain, finding something special and snaring it. I have found that I love the journey much more than the destination so rather than go broke with a zillion acquisitions, I sell my “old” pieces to fund my ongoing jewelry journey.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Luvallgems you're not alone. Many of us love collecting and dreaming about our next piece of bling despite the magnificent piece we might have just bought. Part of it (for me) is the thrill of the hunt, the adrenaline rush I experience and just the joy from being immersed in the moment. Time flows so easily when one is fully immersed in doing something one loves. And I love finding a great deal as that makes the experience even sweeter.

The only difference between us (as I see it from your above post) is I have enlisted my dh's support and participation. This way he is an accomplice to my blingy crimes and he is my strongest ally in being a diamond enabler.:Up_to_something: (In fact, my dh is the one who found PS for me). That works for us. We get each other and we can be completely ourselves with each other. The good, the bad and the ugly. :mrgreen:

And I, in turn, support his passions (woodworking, electronics, audio, etc) so we make a good team. :appl:

teamworkgif.gif

It would be great if like @Bron357 I could part with some of my collection that I do not wear but as of now being a seller doesn't interest me. With the exception of selling my prior OEC ER to fund my current and final OEC. :love:

Luvallgems

Brilliant_Rock
@Luvallgems you're not alone. Many of us love collecting and dreaming about our next piece of bling despite the magnificent piece we might have just bought. Part of it (for me) is the thrill of the hunt, the adrenaline rush I experience and just the joy from being immersed in the moment. Time flows so easily when one is fully immersed in doing something one loves. And I love finding a great deal as that makes the experience even sweeter.

The only difference between us (as I see it from your above post) is I have enlisted my dh's support and participation. This way he is an accomplice to my blingy crimes and he is my strongest ally in being a diamond enabler.:Up_to_something: (In fact, my dh is the one who found PS for me). That works for us. We get each other and we can be completely ourselves with each other. The good, the bad and the ugly. :mrgreen:

And I, in turn, support his passions (woodworking, electronics, audio, etc) so we make a good team. :appl:

teamworkgif.gif

It would be great if like @Bron357 I could part with some of my collection that I do not wear but as of now being a seller doesn't interest me. With the exception of selling my prior OEC ER to fund my current and final OEC. :love:
Missy, I feel better now, ( the thrill of the hunt, that’s it)... the rush of finding a new treasure, that’s what it is in a nutshell. My DH grew up with a Mother that wore a plain smallish gold wedding band...no other jewelry. My DH and I love each other dearly, we are just on different pages when it comes to bling.
When we vacation, he knows I have to browse all the Antique Jewelry
Shops. On our recent trip to Boston, he indulged me ( I did catch rolling
eyes once).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, I feel better now, ( the thrill of the hunt, that’s it)... the rush of finding a new treasure, that’s what it is in a nutshell. My DH grew up with a Mother
that wore a plain smallish gold wedding band...no other jewelry. My DH and I love each other dearly, we are just on different pages when it comes to bling.
When we vacation, he knows I have to browse all the Antique Jewelry
Shops. On our recent trip to Boston, he indulged me ( I did catch rolling
eyes once).

Exactly @Luvallgems! It's all about priorities. It doesn't matter if you share different passions as long as you respect each others preferences and support each other through it all. You're a good team!:kiss2:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am Gollum. My preciousess sit in a safe and I don't wear them much at all. I have bezelled pieces for everyday wear. It's weird, and I shouldn't do this. :eek2:

Luvallgems

Brilliant_Rock
I am Gollum. My preciousess sit in a safe and I don't wear them much at all. I have bezelled pieces for everyday wear. It's weird, and I shouldn't do this. :eek2:
I have my go to rings for everyday wear ( I have to wear low profile rings
for work- gloves on and off, washing hands). The bling rings are worn on
the weekends or night outs during the week. :P2

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would buy almost every piece I see that makes my heart flutter if I let my eyes overrule my head. But I the longer I am in this thing (lol, for lack of a better word), the more I realize that I really only want pieces that I wear often. I am a ORTRTA girl for sure, as far as an ering goes. I won't wear a dramatic RHR so I don't need one (or 7!!!). I do like pendants and stack bands a lot. I try to keep in mind that I can appreciate a piece without owning it.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with 1, 2, and 3. They all describe me!
DH knows all about PS and my addiction.
My main jewelry goal is finding the very best thing for the very lowest price.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The thrill of the next purchase could possibly be a universal hobby thing no matter what the hobby! :whistle:

Yep! Good thing I also have less expensive hobbies too, lol!

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yep! Good thing I also have less expensive hobbies too, lol!

Haha! Me too. My interest in them waxes and wanes over the years, but I usually come back to them and am glad I have hoarded some supplies to pick up where I left off.

Luvallgems

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with 1, 2, and 3. They all describe me!
DH knows all about PS and my addiction.
My main jewelry goal is finding the very best thing for the very lowest price.
Believe it or not, I’m better than I used to be....I would see things that I
didn’t Love, but I bought because it was such a good deal.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Believe it or not, I’m better than I used to be....I would see things that I
didn’t Love, but I bought because it was such a good deal.
Oh yes, I have done this, too.
But I try to be more discriminating these days, so I'm not stuck with a "14k whatever", that I never wear!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most long term members here fit the profile! I enjoy the pursuit of the pieces more than I actually wear most of them, though! (I guess you can say I am collecting heirlooms for my girls and their girls!) I can't be a "one ring to rule them all" person, because I can't limit my diamond ring to just one shape! I need to stop, but I do still think about an antique cushion and an emerald cut! :lol: Therefore, I really need to concentrate on colored stones if I make more rings, as that is a more reasonable purchase than 2+ ct diamonds! My husband is very indulgent, thankfully.

Luvallgems

Brilliant_Rock
Most long term members here fit the profile! I enjoy the pursuit of the pieces more than I actually wear most of them, though! (I guess you can say I am collecting heirlooms for my girls and their girls!) I can't be a "one ring to rule them all" person, because I can't limit my diamond ring to just one shape! I need to stop, but I do still think about an antique cushion and an emerald cut! :lol: Therefore, I really need to concentrate on colored stones if I make more rings, as that is a more reasonable purchase than 2+ ct diamonds! My husband is very indulgent, thankfully.
I feel so much better, thanks all !:P2

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As long as your addiction is not causing you stress or interfering with your financial security. I think you are fine. Sometimes I feel guilty at what I have spent on jewelry but it hasn't hurt our finances. Could the money have gone elsewhere? Sure but elsewhere isn't always better. For example, there may be someone who feels spending thousands on a gemstone, or piece of jewelry is selfish or foolish. Yet- if you spent that money on a trip they would think "great, that is something I would do."

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
For me, I started with the small stuff. Silver, cz, synthetic stones. You know, the gateway jewelry. Last couple of years I've started upping my game to the serious bling. Right now: I'm thinking about a certain diamond, lusting after a gemstone (trying to justify it's purchase), waiting for a gem cutter to finish some stones we talked about for some earrings I'm having made, and have a gem stone coming from a fresh recut (and planning on its setting). Oh, and on a whim bought a vintage ring yesterday. And got a nice pair of earrings this week.
But, yet, I'm constantly on IG, etsy, etc looking at jewelry.
So, yea, for me jewelry is like crack.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not want any part of such a program:eek2:

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
It's a struggle everyday not to buy. I enjoy the researching but I'm spending more time on jewelry that I need to devote elsewhere - housework, exercise sleep. We are all a work in progress. It gives me so much joy and that is very important. I work lot and the more I work, the more I need an outlet and lately it's been enjoying PS and looking at jewelry online and constantly thinking about what I really want. The list is long!!! I need to work on the balance a bit.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
#3 all the way!
I’m working on two projects with DK right now, just made an impulse buy on LT, and I’m still shopping for new gems. It’s a sickness I tell you!

Luvallgems

Brilliant_Rock
It's a struggle everyday not to buy. I enjoy the researching but I'm spending more time on jewelry that I need to devote elsewhere - housework, exercise sleep. We are all a work in progress. It gives me so much joy and that is very important. I work lot and the more I work, the more I need an outlet and lately it's been enjoying PS and looking at jewelry online and constantly thinking about what I really want. The list is long!!! I need to work on the balance a bit.
We could be sisters!!!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let's face it we all love our bling. But we have to know when it may be detrimental to buy it. Over the last 40 years I rarely settled on my dream bling by buying 'starter' pieces or buying something with the intention to trade-up later. I never thought about resetting pieces. I waited to buy what I wanted (several b-days, anniversaries, holidays etc) and enjoyed same since.-many decades later! Of course I wish I had bought a bit more back then. But truthfully I don't wear everything I own. I now vicariously enjoy the bling I can not buy on this forum and windowshop in all kinds of places that sell jewelry. I compare what I see to what I have and I still get joy in what I have. Bling was more important in my 20-40s. Now I have to get kids through college. Other folks satisfy their passion in other pricey endeavors (handbags, shoes, travel, sports, entertainment etc) so if jewelry is your thing and you can afford it....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results